Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A problem son

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A lot of people have suggested that the school should be keeping an eye on him. The OP said that it was a private school which is 7k a year. The son is going to a grind school. They care about the 500+ points students, those are the ones they promote, they won't really care if he does the work or not, he is a bum on a seat that helps to pay the bills, they won't be using his results to promote the school. Students in those places are doing 12 hours work a day. He is of no concern to them.

Time for the OP to be the parent, take away the phone and the xbox, even if he doesn't knuckle down to doing some work he can do other things such as going out and getting some exercise or help out around the house. Someone posted earlier that at least it's not drugs or alcohol, I see enough students who are completely feckless who spend all day from the time they get home until the early hours playing computer games. It's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

Where does OP say their son is in a grinds school?

A lot of people have suggested that the school should be keeping an eye on him. The OP said that it was a private school which is 7k a year. The son is going to a grind school. They care about the 500+ points students, those are the ones they promote, they won't really care if he does the work or not, he is a bum on a seat that helps to pay the bills, they won't be using his results to promote the school. Students in those places are doing 12 hours work a day. He is of no concern to them.

Time for the OP to be the parent, take away the phone and the xbox, even if he doesn't knuckle down to doing some work he can do other things such as going out and getting some exercise or help out around the house. Someone posted earlier that at least it's not drugs or alcohol, I see enough students who are completely feckless who spend all day from the time they get home until the early hours playing computer games. It's not healthy.

Where does OP say their son is in a grinds school?

The only private schools in the country are grind schools. They typically charge 7k a year which is what the OP is paying.

Blackrock College
    Belvedre college
    Clongowes
    Newbridge College
    Roscrea College
    Wesley
    St Marys etc etc etc are they grinds schools?

thanks

The only private schools in the country are grind schools. They typically charge 7k a year which is what the OP is paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Has he ever been to a GOOD career guidance counselor? I have used them in the past and they are great in my opinion. find a good one and pay whatever they want, the one I used was free and made me realize what I wanted to do for a living.

• Advertisement

Blackrock College
    Belvedre college
    Clongowes
    Newbridge College
    Roscrea College
    Wesley
    St Marys etc etc etc are they grinds schools?

thanks

Nope. But they are not private. They are fee paying public schools which are funded by the state. Now maybe get off your high horse.

Here i was only asking a question is all, cos I genuinely didnt know, maybe when i get off my high horse that i wasnt on, you might get some manners

thanks
    Nope. But they are not private. They are fee paying public schools which are funded by the state. Now maybe get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

boetstark wrote: »
    Good morning boardies. I am looking for people's thoughts on a family matter.....
    ...... No ambition and gives smart answers when we confront him.
    Please please any suggestions.

The OP is looking for people's thoughts on a family matter and is not looking for smart answers as may have happened above in some instances.

Adult responsibilities and the world of work will mature the OP's son far more than any school regardless of school type.He obviously doesn't like school - that is not unusual.
    Don't take smart answers from him. Let him know that he is well reared, that his parents have the finest of manners as do/did his grandparents and that you would like to see those manners, thank you very much. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Off topic, but note that all schools are privately-owned, except the VEC/ETB schools.

Most schools are financed by the State, but not provided by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

maybe he just hates school and doesn't fit in or fit in to the structured learning.

my eldest fella was like that , I tried everything carrots & sticks
    It hit me when he was doing his JC as I was studying too at the time and observed his study , he just wasn't wired for schools and exams.

Like your son he didn't know what he wanted and seemed to have no interests beyond his phone.

I put him in the LCA module instead of the LC in school as I figure the 2 years of study prior to LC would be a waste and he'd only barely get a pass . the change was immense he is thriving now.
    He is out with a fella doing a trade as part of his work experience in LCA for the 2nd year and has been offered an apprenticeship with him too when he finishes 6th year next june.

The change in my son outside of school is great too he has more belief in himself and is better company and all the good stuff.

I guess what i'm saying is , it mightn't be your son is the problem but the structure of school.
    The days of the pre historic ireland where you need a leaving cert is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

I think he's just being an immature kid. God knows lots of us were that at 17.

Appealing to his better nature isn't working because he isn't mature enough to see that the far-off rewards of a good leaving cert outweigh the immediate rewards of lazy days doing what he wants.

I agree with those who counsel against ratcheting up the conflict with him - it might make you feel like you're doing something, but it will make your house a fairly horrible place, and won't necessarily make him any more able to do something he's clearly struggling with at the moment.

Teenagers struggle with deferred gratification. If it was me, I'd move the reward very firmly into the near future. I did this with one of my children - nothing was working, not threats to move school, stop them going out, withdrawing pocket money, pleading with them to think of their future.

Eventually a couple of months out from the exams I realised I had to get a bit radical. I sat them down and promised a hundred euro for every A grade, fifty for a B, 25 for a C in the upcoming exam. It turned the whole exam from something they were doing for somebody else into a way they could get lots of money.

Best four hundred quid I ever spent. (Obviously you have to calibrate for possible grades, if i'd done the same for my other child I'd have been bankrupt).

I appreciate how lucky we were to be able to deploy bribery as a blunt instrument, and that option isn't available to everyone, but it works like a dream. I am making the leap from you being able to afford private school fees.

My child stuck his head down into the books, smiling away to himself about how he was putting one over on me and his Dad by getting excellent grades. Bless. He used the money to buy a much-wanted new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Hi OP,

I'm going to recommend a specific college course, it does require a Leaving Cert but not high grades.

You said he used to swim so that will help. Now he may have no interest in this area whatsoever but if you can pique his interest at all then he might be motivated to pass the LC.

Outdoor Adventure Management is an adventure sports management course that runs in Coláiste Dhulaigh, it's a 3 year HND and you can leave with a wide range of instructorships and a HND in adventure management. It may sound random but trust me, it can be life changing.

Its based on Experiential Learning so it really suits the students that might not be best suited to traditional school structure / rote learning.

In some ways first year is like a boot camp but of really fun adventure sports.

Link here to the course..
    https://www.cdcfe.ie/courses/outdoor-adventure-management-shackleton/

There are several other colleges offering similar courses and it is my area of work /study so if you want any advice on any of them feel free to message me.

Life is tough at that age but being immersed in the outdoors and being pushed out of your comfort zone can make a huge difference.

Good luck!

Advertisement