Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SMS security confirmations eg Microsoft and Amazon broken

Options
  • 10-10-2020 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I tried to make some changes to Microsoft 365 tenants yesterday and today which required SMS verifications.

In the case of Microsoft, the verification textos arrived about 12h+ after the event.

The Amazon event (locked out of shopping on Amazon Italia, Deutschland, GB etc) occurred today. No SMS so far for my change in camp site.

I plan to send letters via DHL on Monday to Jeff Bezos and BillG, unless the matters sorted.

Somebody needs to be fired - either service providers or employees, or both.

As far as I am concerned they have until 10h CET on Monday to fix this SMS issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Impetus wrote: »
    I tried to make some changes to Microsoft 365 tenants yesterday and today which required SMS verifications.

In the case of Microsoft, the verification textos arrived about 12h+ after the event.

The Amazon event (locked out of shopping on Amazon Italia, Deutschland, GB etc) occurred today. No SMS so far for my change in camp site.

I plan to send letters via DHL on Monday to Jeff Bezos and BillG, unless the matters sorted.

As far as I am concerned they have until 10h CET on Monday to fix this SMS issue.

Remember they are probably wfh so you will need to send letters there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Bill Gates hasn't been involved in running Microsoft in years so he'd probably just throw your letter in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Are you using Eir Mobile? I had to switch off WiFi calling on mine as when I was connected to WiFi at home text would never come through or would come through after a delay. Another option would be to use an authenticatior app, Google or ms authenticator

I'm going to ask a question I already know the answer to, having seen previous posts of yours. Have you contacted the relevant security departments? The people who can bring change quicker than current and former CEO's of the respective companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Turn your phone off and on again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you using a bargain basement MVNO? Many of them do not have agreements with mass SMS providers.

Issues with both Microsoft and Amazon would suggest the issue is your end (up to the network, but no further); not theirs.

Couriered letters to Bezos and, even more oddly, Gates who isn't even involved in Microsoft anymore will be seen as contacts from a loon and binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭pah

L1011 wrote: »
    Couriered letters to Bezos and, even more oddly, Gates who isn't even involved in Microsoft anymore will be seen as contacts from a loon and binned.

I used to send this kind of letter all the time. Eventually they were so impressed with me I was offered a 300k p/a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

pah wrote: »
    I used to send this kind of letter all the time. Eventually they were so impressed with me I was offered a 300k p/a job.
    It won't work with Bill Gates now though, he's too busy spreading coronavirus via 5g...

Advertisement