Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daughter not happy with LC results - anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

upinthesky wrote: »
    My son did HL Irish and German right up until the last minute but was recommended for him to drop down to OL as he was just about scrapping a pass in both.

He got only a O5 in both which i think was unfair, would you see this as a correct score, i think he would have made a pass if he continued with HL?

Has he checked the marks the teacher gave him? If they are higher then he can appeal to see if there was any error in the process from teachers grade to grade given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Has he checked the marks the teacher gave him? If they are higher then he can appeal to see if there was any error in the process from teachers grade to grade given.

All his marks have been lowered by calculating, some teachers gave him marks in the 60 category and then the he was lowered into the 50 category I take it a H5 is in the 50s but 60 and up is a H4? That’s judge if that’s the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

There is numerous examples here from teachers that if u graded your work properly it wasn’t changed.
    Private grind schools kicking off With law is only to satisfy little Tommy’s parents and excuse little tommies lack of grey matter .
    Bet any money the high achievers got through at private schools.
    it was the middle of the road achievers looking for H1’s that they were never going to get the problem is !

So all the grades that were changed was because the teachers weren't grading properly?

Are you working for the Department of Education press office or something!

You seem to think that anyone who goes to a good school gets a H1 handed on a gold plate.

Believe it or not most of those students (no matter what school) who get high grades still have to work their arses of for it. There is no easy path. People don't rock up to the institute and collect a few essays to 'rote learn' .

Enough of the inverted snobbery

My son did HL Irish and German right up until the last minute but was recommended for him to drop down to OL as he was just about scrapping a pass in both.

He got only a O5 in both which i think was unfair, would you see this as a correct score, i think he would have made a pass if he continued with HL?

A lot of teachers had zero qualms about failing students who they had previously advised to do OL.

Scraping a pass in Higher level is such a wild card. The mocks might have been easy enough too!

But O5 seems harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

What I noticed this year that some schools are having multiple students scoring 600+, the type of results that were not in those schools in previous years. One local school had 8 students with over 600 points - in a good year normally they might have 1 student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nobody here can comment because they haven't taught your son and don't know his ability.

Treppen wrote: »
    That's true, I know one school that got 5 625s when they might only get 1 every other year!! A teacher there said they figured out how to work the numbers and distribute the goodies so that the high flyers wouldn't be touched. I don't know though, maybe they just gambled on what approach the department would take and got lucky.

5 625s though, mother of God. I'd very much think they won't have those 5 students holding up their results for the local newspaper photo op, people would be reading it going "yaaa riiight".

They may have had a system but they got incredibly lucky. As far as teachers were concerned, school profiling was going to be taken into account. It also suggests that the school bumped up these students purposely at the expense of other students.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

So all the grades that were changed was because the teachers weren't grading properly?

Are you working for the Department of Education press office or something!

You seem to think that anyone who goes to a good school gets a H1 handed on a gold plate.

Believe it or not most of those students (no matter what school) who get high grades still have to work their arses of for it. There is no easy path. People don't rock up to the institute and collect a few essays to 'rote learn' .

Enough of the inverted snobbery

I have plenty proof of snobbery in private schools , same as little Johnny who gets law like his mammy and daddy strolls through college because his job is waiting for him on other side .
    Try working your way into it from a humble beginning and no family practice to carry u along !

I have plenty proof of snobbery in private schools , same as little Johnny who gets law like his mammy and daddy strolls through college because his job is waiting for him on other side .
    Try working your way into it from a humble beginning and no family practice to carry u along !

That's nothing got to do with the Leading Cert though. Nobody strolls their way into high grades thanks to Mammy and Daddy, no matter what school you go to you still have to put the work in. Sure, grinds help but I've never met any student who waltzed in and out of grinds and got the grades without doing the work at home and putting in the late nights.

Mammy and daddy might be able to set them up with a job at the other end. They can’t sit the leaving cert for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was the option to sit the LC in November not specially designed to facilitate such disappointed students?

You can bet your bottom dollar it’ll be a handful taking this option- the whole lot of them should be taking the exams, no exceptions. An utter farcical cop out. Whining about results that you never earned and were plucked from the sky- spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I was sceptical about the plan to increase the number of places for the highly competitive third level courses but it's actually the fairest reaction to this situation. I suspect the failure rates at the end of first year may increase a bit this year. So, it makes sense to try and accommodate larger numbers in first year at third level.

Also, I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be highly sceptical that anyone who feels they should have got higher grades due to their schools' past performance, will get anywhere with that stance in the courts. It's going to be very interesting to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

No, those skills are taught from day dot, we are talking about life skills, not just educational skills, which are important. Employers are not supposed to teach you how to perform everyday, not just for 3 hours a year. You are not supposed to cram, you are missing the point. If you worked reasonably well to very good in 5th year and 6th year, and then did a exam at the end that only made up 30% of the total of the LC, then you should do well.

You don't get a level of academic ability by completing a 3 hour exam - you get someone who can spit out stuff better than the next person.

And you should be doing 5th / 6th year at age 17/18 - not 15/16 - that is way too young to be trying to work out what you want to do as a career.

Work well this year and next and you will be fine.

School is NOT the workplace. This is the mistake that you're making. Education is a learning process and the problem with assessing material as you go is that it doesn't allow students to learn from their mistakes. If it were a project or an oral exam or whatever, that's perfectly fine (after all, projects are the best assessors of work ethic), but modular exams are an awful idea. It is MUCH easier to learn off and regurgitate for modular exams than for final exams for obvious reasons. After all, why would you ever go back over the material assessed for the previous modular exams again? Final exams allow students to see the subject material as an integrated whole rather than as isolated segments, which modular exams promote. It's also much less flexible: it forces teachers to teach a certain way and to teach content in a certain order. Certain students may not be able to learn the material in an optimal manner. For example, in Physics, a student may not understand Electricity very well, but once Magnetsim is covered, it all starts to make sense. Why should that student be penalised? The ones who should be penalised are those who forget the previous material and cram for the next.

If final exams are made correctly, cramming would end up useless. Already, it is a lot harder to cram for the LC than it is for modular exams (I don't know why you're suggesting otherwise), but yes, you can quite easily game the Leaving Cert due to the poor design of the exams. Like, most marking schemes are woefully done out: excessively rewarding regurgitation over insightful discussion. Any LC student would understand just how much these schemes are based on "buzzwords" and certain methodologies rather than critical thought. This isn't a problem with final exams at all, it's a problem with lazy exam design. People learn off essays for French and History (not English thankfully) because that is the easiest way to get marks. The Sciences were even more ridiculous, you didn't need to understand the content at all, just blasting through all the past papers would put you at a significant advantage relative to a student who understands everything, but didn't practice any paper.

In short, final exams are not the problem, the LC is. It can be frustrating for the wrong reasons, mainly due to arbitrary and badly designed marking schemes that act as nothing, but easy grade filters. The way papers are set needs a complete overhaul and when done correctly, then the system will work well and end up rewarding intelligent, hard workers over crammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Gerry T wrote: »
    I had two doing the LC. For both of them the were marked down in all marks given bar one subject. Yes they both went to a private school where this yr there were no 625 students but in previous years there would be.
    For my pair it's no issue as they both got the courses they wanted, they were average students, neither great or poor, but their friends weren't so lucky.
    My take on it is the grade the teacher gave is less important to the class ranking.

I'm open to correction on this, the way I see it, without class standardisation if the state proportion (made up) in Maths 5%h1, 10%h2, 10%h3 etc.... then per 100 students 5 get a h1, 10 a h2 and so on. If your school has 100 pupils doing the LC then that school after adjustment will get on average 5 h1 in Maths. This is the inequality of it all, a school that performs consistently better than most, say the institute in Dublin (and no my pair didn't go there) where out of 100 Math's students their is possibly 10 getting a h1, then 5 students get downgraded. Likewise a school that historically might only get 1 or 2 h1's will find 2 or 3 students upgraded.
    This is where class ranking is so important if you are ranked 6,7,7 in the class and while you might deserve a h1 your the pupil getting downgraded.
    The moral of this sorry saga, for 2021 enroll in a school that performs typically very poorly and make sure your not in a class with all the high achievers in the school.

Schools that would typically perform better than the average school have been disadvantaged, that includes private and public schools. What a student deserved has been replaced by a class ranking so your not measured on your achievement v an exam but v your fellow class mates.

IF correct such a **** and totally biased system. M.Martin hang your head in shame.

p.s. While I disagree with one or two of the grades teaches have given my pair, I do feel they gave what was in the best of their judgement that child deserved. However I don't think it's possible to be fully impartial in getting class ranking correct.

EDIT:
    While my pair had their marks reduced, luckily one child had no grades reduced, the other had two grade reductions. But both got border marks, 59 and 69, but in neither case did they get a grade increase.

What has this got to do with Micheal Martin, was he in the private school teaching them?

road_high wrote: »
    You can bet your bottom dollar it’ll be a handful taking this option- the whole lot of them should be taking the exams, no exceptions. An utter farcical cop out. Whining about results that you never earned and were plucked from the sky- spare me.

Well then if it's a result that they never earned what result should they have gotten?
    The teachers one?
    The calculated grades?

joeguevara wrote: »
    What has this got to do with Micheal Martin, was he in the private school teaching them?

Michael Martin is the Taoiseach, it was his government's decision to ignore previous school results... But yet they didn't ignore previous national grade averages.

Which do you think would be closer a national average which is a mix of all schools , or what the school gets on average every year in that subject?

Michael Martin is the Taoiseach, it was his government's decision to ignore previous school results... But yet they didn't ignore previous national grade averages.

Which do you think would be closer a national average which is a mix of all schools , or what the school gets on average every year in that subject?

So marion this year should get a H1 because FIonnualla got one 3 years ago. Absolute rubbish. Firstly this was a department of education decision. Do you think the taoiseach sat down and figured out on the back of a cigarette packet how the grades would work. Secondly, this was as a result of the leaving certificate not going ahead which it was supposed to be and only cancelled at the last minute.

People don't always get the result they think they will. Its life. Blaming the taoiseach is as ridiculous as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Martin put on a lot of pressure to cancel the exams in the first place. In my opinion that was the first big mistake. To me it was very easy, break the kids into groups of 8 and put them in a classroom.
    His second big mistake was to do away with a schools past results. From one yr to the next most schools receive similar results as the previous yr. That's why schools like the Institute attract students in 5th & 6th yr (and no my kids didn't go there). Ignoring that key stat meant that schools that perform above the average would have students marked down while schools that perform under the average would get marked up. 2020 is the year that all students received a averaging result.
    Think about it, per 100 students in a school you have the same % of students per subject getting the same grade. It's all based on your class ranking and not your mark given. If h1 to h6 is in percentage 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 25%, 10%. Then the first 10 students in the ranking get a h1 and the last 10 students get a h6.
    Teachers didn't know this when they were given the results, they would have been very focused on the % mark given to students. Far less thought given to the students ranking. There could be a bunch of students in the middle from position 8 to 18 that could go in any order, but their all at the same standard. However this system would move those kids up and down per grade all depending on the class ranking.
    Martin is making a balls of this and he's doing likewise with his communications with covid. He's now in the role and facing very difficult decisions but for me he's consistent, getting things wrong.

Martin put on a lot of pressure to cancel the exams in the first place. In my opinion that was the first big mistake. To me it was very easy, break the kids into groups of 8 and put them in a classroom.
    His second big mistake was to do away with a schools past results. From one yr to the next most schools receive similar results as the previous yr. That's why schools like the Institute attract students in 5th & 6th yr (and no my kids didn't go there). Ignoring that key stat meant that schools that perform above the average would have students marked down while schools that perform under the average would get marked up. 2020 is the year that all students received a averaging result.
    Think about it, per 100 students in a school you have the same % of students per subject getting the same grade. It's all based on your class ranking and not your mark given. If h1 to h6 is in percentage 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 25%, 10%. Then the first 10 students in the ranking get a h1 and the last 10 students get a h6.
    Teachers didn't know this when they were given the results, they would have been very focused on the % mark given to students. Far less thought given to the students ranking. There could be a bunch of students in the middle from position 8 to 18 that could go in any order, but their all at the same standard. However this system would move those kids up and down per grade all depending on the class ranking.
    Martinis making a balls of this and he's doing likewise with his communications with covid. He's now in the role and facing very difficult decisions but for me he's consistent, getting things wrong.

Martin wasn't taoiseach when leaving was cancelled. You cant have it both ways.

Vast majority are satisfied with the results given and a few aren't. Guess what, its the same as if the leaving took place. Most happy, some not. More to be worried about that Dympna didn't get her H1 in Home Ec because she thoughtr that because 10 got it last year it meant she was guaranteed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Martin is making a balls of this and he's doing likewise with his communications with covid. He's now in the role and facing very difficult decisions but for me he's consistent, getting things wrong.

U are very correct as this is where the grind schools got caught so they give the top rankings to there friends with money or to students that deserve it most .
    Ur guess is as good as mine but probably gave the mark to there wealthy friends but ranking pulled them down anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well then if it's a result that they never earned what result should they have gotten?
    The teachers one?
    The calculated grades?

Neither...sit a reduced socially distanced exam (tons of halls and centres allover the country). You can't not sit an exam and expect reflective "results".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Martin put on a lot of pressure to cancel the exams in the first place. In my opinion that was the first big mistake.
    I agree.
    To me it was very easy, break the kids into groups of 8 and put them in a classroom.

Exams and grades have always been about individual ability, individual work put in, and individual performance in the test itself.

You are right that performance does vary a lot from school to school, but the system still depends on the student actually doing the work and the test individually.

Before this year, nobody would have argued that Johnny who went to fee paying school
    should have his grade bumped up from a H5 to a H2 just because he went to that school and they always do well, but he had a bad day on the day.

The system they came up with seems as fair as was possible in the circumstances because it is all based on what the student did themselves, not on what other people did in previous years imo.

The fact that some schools appear to have been downgraded more than others would have to be seen in the context of how much they had been marked up by their teachers in the first place.

I never said he was, I said he applied a lot of pressure, it was in his opinion that the exams should be cancelled. He was stepping into the Job and was going the opposite way to Varadkar.
    Who know's, if he had put weight behind taking the exams then the outcome could have been different.
    Vast majority are satisfied with the results given and a few aren't. Guess what, its the same as if the leaving took place. Most happy, some not. More to be worried about that Dympna didn't get her H1 in Home Ec because she thoughtr that because 10 got it last year it meant she was guaranteed it.
    Now that's a naive statement, you think students that go to a private school believe they are entitled to a certain grade. Reality is students that get high grades work hard, no matter what their level of intelligence. It's the amount of hard work that they do that counts. You could spend 6 yrs in a private school and fail every subject if you didn't work. Private schools offer greater choice, can have better facilities and put's your child in an environment where most kids are studying. No other benefit.

This is not the same, there's students, again not my kids as they were lucky to get the courses they wanted, that got results well below what they were getting on average through there past 6 years. There's students getting results well below the mocks and this it seems can be caused because you went to a school that on average achieves grades above average schools. That's called discrimination and it's wrong. That's why I blame Martin, it's happening on his watch.

plodder wrote: »
    I agree.

Exams and grades have always been about individual ability, individual work put in, and individual performance in the test itself.

You are right that performance does vary a lot from school to school, but the system still depends on the student actually doing the work and the test individually.

Before this year, nobody would have argued that Johnny who went to fee paying school
    should have his grade bumped up from a H5 to a H2 just because he went to that school and they always do well, but he had a bad day on the day.

The system they came up with seems as fair as was possible in the circumstances because it is all based on what the student did themselves, not on what other people did in previous years imo.

The fact that some schools appear to have been downgraded more than others would have to be seen in the context of how much they had been marked up by their teachers in the first place.
    I agree with most of what you say bar that last bit. If a school with a 100 LC students gave out 5h1 in maths and that was the average for the whole country per hundred students then no student was marked down or marked up from a h2. But if you went to a school where 8 students were being given a h1, and deserved it, then 3 of those students were marked down. Again if your school only gave 3h1's then 2 lucky h2 students got marked up.
    That's my understanding of not introducing a schools past performance into the equation. It's a simplistic view but it does seem to be ringing through when it's disadvantage schools that seem to be raving about this years results and high achieving schools complaining.

St Kilian's is a great example, they teach through German and every year get way above average compared to other schools in higher level German, usually 40- 50% of students get a h1. This would make perfect sense This year those students were marked down and only 14% got a h1. When the Govt said they would take that into account, one week before the results were due out, under Martin's watch this part of the calculation was removed.

I never said he was, I said he applied a lot of pressure, it was in his opinion that the exams should be cancelled. He was stepping into the Job and was going the opposite way to Varadkar.
    Who know's, if he had put weight behind taking the exams then the outcome could have been different.

Now that's a naive statement, you think students that go to a private school believe they are entitled to a certain grade. Reality is students that get high grades work hard, no matter what their level of intelligence. It's the amount of hard work that they do that counts. You could spend 6 yrs in a private school and fail every subject if you didn't work. Private schools offer greater choice, can have better facilities and put's your child in an environment where most kids are studying. No other benefit.

This is not the same, there's students, again not my kids as they were lucky to get the courses they wanted, that got results well below what they were getting on average through there past 6 years. There's students getting results well below the mocks and this it seems can be caused because you went to a school that on average achieves grades above average schools. That's called discrimination and it's wrong. That's why I blame Martin, it's happening on his watch.

Did I say anything about Private schools. You are obsessed with them. The reality is that class tests, are biased. But as I said, vast majority are happy with their results. By the way marks in mocks not equating to your end result is not discrimination. Sure why do the grading method at all if you want the mock results to be the result.

As for your Micheal Martin comment just because some little darlings are boo hooing because they didn't get the result that Miss or Sir said they would. Yeah, makes sense.

I agree with most of what you say bar that last bit. If a school with a 100 LC students gave out 5h1 in maths and that was the average for the whole country per hundred students then no student was marked down or marked up from a h2. But if you went to a school where 8 students were being given a h1, and deserved it, then 3 of those students were marked down. Again if your school only gave 3h1's then 2 luck h2 students got marked up.
    That's my understanding of not introducing a schools past performance into the equation. It's a simplistic view but it does seem to be ringing through when it's disadvantage schools that seem to be raving about this years results and high achieving schools complaining.

St Kilian's is a great example, they teach through German and every year get way above average compared to other schools in higher level German, usually 40- 50% of students get a h1. This would make perfect sense This year those students were marked down and only 14% got a h1. When the Govt said they would take that into account, one week before the results were due out, under Martin's watch this part of the calculation was removed.

We get it you disclike Micheal Martin. I wonder who you would prefer instead?

Did I say anything about Private schools. You are obsessed with them.
    Swap private school and replace with high achieving school, reread.
    The reality is that class tests, are biased. But as I said, vast majority are happy with their results. By the way marks in mocks not equating to your end result is not discrimination. Sure why do the grading method at all if you want the mock results to be the result.
    I never said mock results were discriminating, I said high achieving schools being marked down to a country average and low achieving schools being marked up to the national average was Discrimination. BTW, the govt used past years national averages to formulate this years national average.
    As for your Micheal Martin comment just because some little darlings are boo hooing because they didn't get the result that Miss or Sir said they would. Yeah, makes sense.
    Again your failing to grasp the crux of my post, until you do then my comments don't make any sense to you.
    And again you fail to understand the implications. Students that went to a high achieving school, that set a goal and worked really hard over 2 years had their grades reduced, in cases they have missed the course they wanted. I thinking that your reply will be, agh sure they can repeat, or boohoo nobody cares about them.

I'd prefer someone that can do the Job, can't wait to see how he handles the Brexit developments, his short track record isn't awe inspiring.

The two are not comparable.

Would you have told this student in 2019 to suck it up.
    [url]Https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30917412.html?type=amp[/url]

In her case there was an error in the process, this year given the large deviation from what a school awarded it can only have been an error. (Unless you think an individual student being bumped down 2 grades while those at either side in the ranking are kept is fair).

The two are not comparable.

Would you have told this student in 2019 to suck it up.
    [url]Https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30917412.html?type=amp[/url]

In her case there was an error in the process, this year given the large deviation from what a school awarded it can only have been an error. (Unless you think an individual student being bumped down 2 grades while those at either side in the ranking are kept is fair).

There was not an error in her process. They simply totted up the marks incorrectly. Apples and pears. Nothing to do with what we are discussing,.

• Advertisement

Swap private school and replace with high achieving school, reread.

I never said mock results were discriminating, I said high achieving schools being marked down to a country average and low achieving schools being marked up to the national average was Discrimination. BTW, the govt used past years national averages to formulate this years national average.

Again your failing to grasp the crux of my post, until you do then my comments don't make any sense to you.
    And again you fail to understand the implications. Students that went to a high achieving school, that set a goal and worked really hard over 2 years had their grades reduced, in cases they have missed the course they wanted. I thinking that your reply will be, agh sure they can repeat, or boohoo nobody cares about them.

I'd prefer someone that can do the Job, can't wait to see how he handles the Brexit developments, his short track record isn't awe inspiring.

Your failing to grasp my crux. They got the grades not from teacher bias who lets face it in grinds schools get the tests before they are given (i went to one so I know) so it is completely irrelevantg that they got 100% in every test in 2 years.

What you fail to understand is the leaving cert normally is graded on a bell curve so that the results are always skewed.

All of this boils down to you don't like Micheal Martin. And the EU will be leading the Brexit negotiations which are already complete as far as the withdrawal agreement goes. For the sake of clarity, who would you prefer to be in the role

Advertisement