Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

environmental science careers

Options
  • 04-01-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello
    I am currently studying environmental science in DCU.
    I am kind of interested in environmental science.
    What I am worried about is the career opportunities after the degree.
    It seems the main jobs opportunities it opens up are things like consultancy and environmental analysis jobs of things like water. I am not very interested in this and its not even definite you could get one of these jobs.
    Does anyone know what other areas environmental science graduates can go on to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

oreo47 wrote: »
    Hello
    I am currently studying environmental science in DCU.
    I am kind of interested in environmental science.
    What I am worried about is the career opportunities after the degree.
    It seems the main jobs opportunities it opens up are things like consultancy and environmental analysis jobs of things like water. I am not very interested in this and its not even definite you could get one of these jobs.
    Does anyone know what other areas environmental science graduates can go on to do?

You could work in a EHS department in a factory. Although this might require experience and some H & S training. EPA or a Co.Co. But again some experience I presume. A graduate job might be available but I always found them rare in Ireland. It's a small industry in Ireland really. A 1:1 in your degree would make you in the top bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

ye seems bleak currently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

ye seems bleak currently

firstly, the poster above has some great suggests. Not only are they great jobs, but they are careers which could branch off into different opportunities if that's what you decide in the future. (Every job requires experience, would you not have work placement on your course?)

Another option (depending on the level of your course) is doing a masters (QQI Level 9). This could lead your career into anything that you decide! The opportunities are endless!

Finally, your degree would even be a great benefit in the public sector, lets take a clerical officer (CO) in the civil service as an example. Having a degree (depending on your level) it will enable you to start off on a higher pay grade than people without a degree who starts at the lowest pay grade!

It's worth mentioning that it's extremely uncommon for a graduate to stay in the field in which they study. I know many people who have changed career at different stages of their life! Me included, well I am in the thought process!

So it's far from bleak! :)

thanks for your positivity.
    I wish you luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

thanks for your positivity.
    I wish you luck in your search

You’re most welcome! 🙂

Thank you! Best of luck for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Hi OP,
    My sister did Environmental Science and is currently in a (very) senior role in the Civil Service.

Gerianam wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    My sister did Environmental Science and is currently in a (very) senior role in the Civil Service.

thanks for this info.
    what does she do in the civil service?

Advertisement