Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right person or grasping at straws

Options
  • 07-08-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Made a little discovery on a family line tonight, but it requires a small sideways leap. Wondering what people's gut feeling would be on this one?

What I have for definite is Annie Perry from Donnybrook married to John Parker from Williamstown (Blackrock) in 1919.

I have Annie's family etc, but she and John disappear on me after the marriage and I have nothing on John before the marriage. The Marriage cert says he's a soldier and that his father Thomas is a Tailor.

Tonight I tried Annie in the 1939 register. And the second result on Ancestry is an Annie Parker living in Surrey with the exact date of birth, 13 Jan 1886 living with a Jack F Parker...who is a military tailor.

There are a few suggested records for Jack F Parker which all seem to be the same person. Date of birth 01 Dec 1890. But no suggested marriage record..

The 1911 census has him in a barracks where he is a soldier. The 1901 and 1891 census records show that his father is Frederick T Parker a Tailor, and baptism records for Jack show that his father is a tailor Frederick Thomas Parker.

I'm leaning towards them being the correct couple in the 1939 register. But I've nothing to corroborate any of it, and nothing linking his regiment to Ireland. Could be he was visiting here, or she was living there and came back to be married. Could be the wrong people.

Instinct - it feels right. Does it seem right to others, or am I grasping?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't think you're grasping at straws but at the same time, I'd like to find one more piece of the jigsaw to tie it all together.
    Perhaps if you could source the church record of their marriage his mothers name, if given, might do the trick.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Perhaps you've already seen it but there's an entry in the English civil death indexes for an Annie Parker who died in Surrey in 1980 with that same date of birth you mention above. It might not help with this specific query but you'd never know.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is an annotation in green on the 1939 Register.
    1/2 M/C SY 21.1.76 and then 'Anne' is written above Annie's name.

May be nothing, may be something. The register was used for many purposes over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 paumurp

I was thinking I was wrong - Jack being a birth name rather than nickname, he was baptised church of England, no obvious connection to Ireland - but I added some of his details to the family tree and it threw up 10 family tree hints attached to his father's name.

Of the 10, only one had Jack F, a wife Ann (no surname) and a daughter Eileen M. I had searched for any children named Parker with a mother whose maiden name was Perry and Eileen M was one of the results, so it looks like it could be the one. I've messaged the owner of the tree.

I hadn't spotted the death in 1980. I actually thought the annotation was suggesting her death was 1976.

Jack seems to have died in 1940, so it's also possible she remarried.

Thanks all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think you're grasping at straws at all. The odds on same married name exact same birthday are massive.
    But yes it would be good to tie it all together with another piece of corroborating evidence.

I am confused in your original post that you mention a marriage cert and then later say you can't find the marriage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I am confused in your original post that you mention a marriage cert and then later say you can't find the marriage.

I read that to mean there's no matching marriage for the given names in the English records thus making the Irish one more likely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't think you're grasping at straws at all. The odds on same married name exact same birthday are massive.
    But yes it would be good to tie it all together with another piece of corroborating evidence.

Thanks Pinky,

As Hermy says, It wasn't that I couldn't find it, I was just referring to the absence of a marriage record in Ancestry's suggested records. I know it doesn't mean that there isn't one, just viewed it's absence as an indicator that there might not have been a British wedding

As a btw, FMP have a photo of him in their military records, so all in all a good find

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

freebmd.org.uk and a bit of cross referencing is handy for UK records.
    Ancestry throws up some daft suggestions at times.

Got reply from owner of family tree basically telling me I had the wrong person. Hey hoh!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I wouldn't pay any attention to that. Keep on researching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree with VirginiaB - the other person may be wrong.

Use the Memberconnect function to find other people researching the same individuals.

Genealogy Forum Mod

VirginiaB wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay any attention to that. Keep on researching.

Absolutely. I replied basically pointing out the 'remarkable coincidence' of some parts, but acknowledging the lack of proof.

He mellowed a little and replied back. I think he just couldn't get past, no Irish family that he knows (despite child being called Eileen), so couldn't have got married in Ireland.

Advertisement