Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My 6th year study log

• 28-11-2017 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm Naomi and I'm hoping to get medicine in Galway but I wouldn't mind going to Europe if I don't get it here. I've been a bit lazy since 5th year but i started putting in the work as soon as 6th year started. I know I can get 530 points plus the HPAT which I hope to get 150 in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 naomi powers

28/11/17
    DONE:
    Made flashcards on comparative quotes
    Chemistry gas laws exam questions
    Learnt some Spanish vocab

Did an hour of stastistics in supervised study.
    I still plan on doing patterns and sequences tonight and learning a role play for Spanish. Also make my cultural context notes on 1984 and do learn a sraith pictuir.

Its so easy to forget about this but i post when i remember.
    Didn't really do much this weekend, was feeling a bit tired but i did some spanish grammar flashcards, a Boland essay, started dairy flashcards for ag science and went over my maths test.

Finally remembered to post this year. My mocks start this Friday and i'm finished on the 9th of February then its just going to be HPAT preparation that ill be focusing on until ive done the test on the 24th. After that its back to leaving cert revision. Overall I'm hoping to improve in all my subjects from the premocks especially in maths. During the Christmas break i got a bit of work done but not as much as i would have liked to, but i was on holiday so im proud of myself for doing what i got done. When i got back i had already missed 2 days of school and felt pretty far behind and down on myself so i didnt do anything that week. but things finally picked up that weekend and i started doing more revision for the mocks. Now im just trying to do what i can before the exams start. Hopefully i improve my grades but if not, i'll just work a lot harder to get my points in June.

Almost forgot to mention how my mock orals went. Irish was okay and the examiner wasnt too scary. Spanish was a big flop and i was a nervous wreck even though i consider spanish to be my best language.

• Advertisement

So the mocks are over and it's midterm break. I would like to do some more studying for June but the HPAT Is in less than 2 weeks and I'm not confident at all. All the practice questions I'm doing and I'm still not scoring high enough to give me even a little bit of confidence. I'll finally be able to get back into a normal routine after the 24th but for now it's just going to be practice questions.

Also Idk if anyone actually reads this but feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Just wondering what you've been doing to prepare for the Hpat? I'm looking to do it next year.

jeonahr wrote: »
    Just wondering what you've been doing to prepare for the Hpat? I'm looking to do it next year.
    I went to the free HPAT course in the Dublin school of grinds in October or November I can't remember exactly. I got notes on section 3 which are really helpful because I know how to do that section really well now. I was going to do the HPAT course with career services but it cost 250€ and I didn't have the money at the tim eso it was booked out. My sister did the HPAT and she went to the institute of education so I have her mock papers and practice tests that I'm just doing and I bought 2 practice tests from the ACER website. Those are easier than the real thing but they're still good practice. Everyone thinks you have to study or you can't study but you prepare by doing practice questions and going over the solutions so you can learn from your mistakes. If you're a quick thinker and reader then it won't be hard for you to prepare but I'm not so I make sure to go over the solutions and do the practice tests in timed conditions. You're going to need to build up your vocabulary for section 2 so just look up any new words you find in a book or any reading material. I wouldn't worry about it now, I'm assuming you're in 5th year just try and build your vocabulary. When 6th year comes you should go to the free HPAT course in the Dublin school of grinds and if you have the money do the preparation course there too. You can also do it with ********. I didn't do a preparation course but I'm fine without it all you need is practice questions that you can buy from career services and the solutions. It's called the home package and they send you a huge stack of questions that'll help you prepare.
    I hope I didn't ramble too much and this is actually helpful

So i've gotten my mock results back... they aren't great in some subjects but in the others that were really good there's always room for improvement, I'm 6 marks away from getting a H3 in chemistry so thats really annoying. I didnt pass maths but I need to continue with higher level. I'm determined to work like a psycho over the next few months to get the points I need tho. The HPAT on saturday and at this point i'm just trying to stay calm and I just want it to be over so I can have one less thing to focus on

Less than 3 months until the LC. I've been doing more study in subjects that I really enjoy than in the ones I dont enjoy. I need to brush up on my irish grammar and all of my maths techniques. At the moment its just homework, study and exam questions so I think I'm doing okay. I've done my ag science project so i'm glad that I dont have to stress about it now and rush it. Ive been a bit too laid back though so i need to stop laying in bed doing nothing when I get home from school. I really need to start getting the documents I need translated and legalized for the university I'm applying to in bulgaria as a back up if i dont get in here.

Like I said before if you have any questions feel free to ask me:)

• Advertisement

Orals are in two weeks and I'm not prepared for Irish but Spanish is going to be great.

It's been a while since I updated this thing. I'm 2nd in both of my language orals but im happy about it so I can forget about them after the 16th. I've been to the library everyday this week and I'm definitely doing work but I feel like I'm not working hard enough. I didnt do much today but i've watched a few videos and did some more course research so i feel more motivated to get the points I need. I now realise that I need to get over 600 points in case I didn't get over 200 in my HPAT. Its finally sinking in that i'll be graduating in less than 2 months and the LC is a week after that. I'm honestly so nervous but if I keep working hard i'll do really well. Also I handed in my ag science project and i'm really confident ive got almost all the marks its just the oral that i have to deal with in may.

Almost forgot to add that I'll be changing my first choice from med in nuig to ucc. I'm not going to risk having nowhere to live and I dont mind either of them.

Hi Naomi,
    was just wondering how you felt the Hpat went for you?

jeonahr wrote: »
    Hi Naomi,
    was just wondering how you felt the Hpat went for you?
    I won't know for sure until the end of June but I think it went okay. I mean I hope I got at least over 150/300. I don't really want to think about because I'll get nervous and it'll mess with my head haha

Just thought I'd update this thing with 5 weeks to go. I've been doing exam questions and working in general but not as much as i would like to be. Right now I just need to keep my head down and work really hard. The orals went well so I'm happy about that.

Just thought I'd update this thing with 5 weeks to go. I've been doing exam questions and working in general but not as much as i would like to be. Right now I just need to keep my head down and work really hard. The orals went well so I'm happy about that.

That's good to hear about your orals! Hope everything is going well.

Just remembered this with a week and a bit to go. I'm honestly so nervous and stressed. I've given up on Irish to focus more on higher level maths but I'm confident that I'll get a H5 if i go over some essays and do the comprehension well enough. Right now I'm trying to work as hard as I can but its so hard to stay motivated when I've been trying all year. I just need to push myself as far as possible without having a mental breakdown.

Good luck! Don't push yourself too hard. Everything will happen as it's meant to be at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Tell us how you get on with each exam!
    Really interested in your study log :)

• Advertisement

Due to popular demand ( 1 person haha) I'll be saying how each exam went. So English paper 1 was relatively easy. The comprehensions were okay and the questions were alright. They put a paper 2 question as (ii) for each text and I was fine with that because I already revised for paper 2 but people are going mad over it. I did a descriptive essay and I think it's pretty good but I don't want to jinx it.
    Paper 2 tomorrow so I have to learn king Lear quotes until my brain turns to mush. If Hopkins or montage don't come up I'm suing the SEC but I'll go over Larkin and Ni Chuilleanain just in case. I'll be good for either of general vision and viewpoint and cultural context for the comparative.
    It honestly feels so weird because I'm finally doing the exams that I've been dreading for years and I don't feel stressed at home but before the exam I can't stop shaking my leg. Hopefully they all go well and I think they will because my family is being so supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AzureBlue62

Good Luck, I hope you get the points you want. I'm doing my exams atm aswell, pretty scared about geography and maths tomorrow 😭

Hope maths went ok!

Sb567 wrote: »
    Hope maths went ok!
    Maths was OK, but loads of sequences and series and no financial maths, hopefully I do as good in my paper 2

I'll start off with english paper 2. Its on the SEC website now so anyone can see it. The single text was nice and I think I did quite well in it but I'll have to wait and see. The comparative 70 marker was unnecessarily wordy and caused a bit of confusion but they werent clear enough so i'm sure ill be fine. I really hoped Hopkins would come up because he was my best poet but I knew Monatgue well enough so I didnt struggle with him. I was going to do the Ni Chuilleanain q but I dont find her fascinating in any way shape or form. Overall it was a good paper and I finished each question, even the unseen poetry which is a shocker because i thought i would be stuck for time.

Now Maths paper 1
    I thought it was an easy enough paper with nothing impossible to do on it but there was too much patterns and sequences.Also my brain was FRIED after it and i almost fainted. I'm fairly certain I've passed with that paper alone. That being said, they did put a horrible function to differentiate and im pretty sure i messed it up but its over now so theres no point in worrying about it. Paper 2 and Irish paper 1 on monday. I'm a bit worried about it because its my weaker paper but i'm sure i'll be fine if i go over all the topics. Irish I just need to pass but i'll read over a few of my essyas and try and recall even a bit of the language.

Maths was OK, but loads of sequences and series and no financial maths, hopefully I do as good in my paper 2
    Hope your exams are going well. How was geography? I'm wondering how you were even able to do maths after it from what I've heard. I feel like they'll make paper 2 difficult because of how easy paper 1 was but I'm really hoping they don't. What course are you hoping to get into and how many points are you aiming for?

Hope your exams are going well. How was geography? I'm wondering how you were even able to do maths after it from what I've heard. I feel like they'll make paper 2 difficult because of how easy paper 1 was but I'm really hoping they don't. What course are you hoping to get into and how many points are you aiming for?

Tbh I didn't have high hopes for geography when I walked in but I think I did alright, I didn't finish 2 and half essays but I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm hoping to do computer science in trinity, I need a h4 in maths which could be hard, Idk yet gotta wait til paper 2. Based off paper 1 alone I think I got my h4 but hopefully paper 2 is easy aswell. The course is 460-470 but Ik I'm not gonna get the points so I'm gonna rely on my HEAR application, they way I think about it is, what are the chances someone is gonna get a h4 in maths and wants to go to the same course as me and also poor working class, very little.

The maths papers this year were meant to be very hard...both paper 1 and 2 I heard! Hopefully ours won’t be as bad next year ðŸ˜

Sb567 wrote: »
    The maths papers this year were meant to be very hard...both paper 1 and 2 I heard! Hopefully ours won’t be as bad next year ðŸ˜
    I don't think paper 2 was that bad because I was very familiar with patterns and sequences. But it did need you to think logically. Paper 2 was worse but I was able to manage it. Overall i think i did okay though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I don't think paper 2 was that bad because I was very familiar with patterns and sequences. But it did need you to think logically. Paper 2 was worse but I was able to manage it. Overall i think i did okay though.

Still following and reading with interest. Keep up the pressure and cramming and best of luck. I hope you get good questions and find tge answers you need to get those points. Dont lose focus -keep us posted!Best of luck!

Advertisement