Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Here is the developer program for Google Assistant (and by extension GHome):

https://developers.google.com/actions/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

That isn't going to change. The hubs are necessary.

I've given up on the dream of one box that everything integrates into and so have most people who are interested in HA tech. Just too many different "standards" and too many different companies wanting you to use their own approach. Also the "All-In-One" boxes just end up far less reliable then the dedicated ones.

Instead better to integrate everything in the cloud with services like IFTTT and yonomi.

Having said that, having multiple boxes really isn't a big deal. You don't need to have the hubs around the house, just pile them all up next to the router. Easily hidden away under the stairs, etc.

BTW If you want "wifi" double sockets, then lightwaverf have smart double sockets, though yes, they do require a hub.

I've found IFTTT to be remarkably stable and reliable, just as good if not better not the native Alexa skills on the Echo.

And as I said, I expect massive amount of support to come for third party companies over the next few months.

https://ifttt.com/lightwaverf_power
    https://ifttt.com/lightwaverf_lighting

Though I don't have lightwaverf myself, so I can't test it. They also have an Alexa skill for the Echo.

• Advertisement

Just search for "lightwaverf ifttt" in google or similar if you want to check if any device is supported in IFTTT.

Rumour has it that GHome was rushed to market to be released in time for Christmas and to not leave Echo get too far ahead.

If true, it is remarkable how polished it is out of the box. It is far more polished then Echo and that has been out 2 years in the US!

I'm certain they are rushing to improve reminders, calendars, etc. Remember, this is Google Assistant, so it also effects GA built into Android phones, Allo, etc. as well as GHome.

I suspect the poor Googlers working on this away won't be having a very nice Christmas holidays given the pressure they will be under to get this sorted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

bk wrote: »
    Just saying "Play Newstalk on tunein" works fine for me, just tried it now, newstalk drive on in the background now.

Maybe you don't have your locatino set in the Google Hoem app?

I have home and work set to locations in Ireland. Language is set to English (US) but not much we can do with that. Its interpreting my speech as "listen to news talk on tunein", and other than newstalk is separated into 2 words I think its about as correct as it can be...so there must be something else going on. It was working before so there's obviously something gone awry.

Ah well....maybe it will just as suddenly start working again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Why is this topic sticky ?
    Do we really need that this system to have access inside of our home as well !?

I guess we have to blame only ourselves...
    Enjoy the sharing...and their results !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

rolion wrote: »

Why is this topic sticky ?

I do think it odd that this got stickied whereas the more popular Echo didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Tinfoil ... just finishing watching last episodes from Mr. Robot !
    Last night,my kids and I watched "Snowden" and guess whats next... "Enemy of The State"

And do yourself a favour: read here ! :)

Enjoy it...the "new" is around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

Ah great. This worked for me too. I had been trying "One hundred and six" , and "One-Oh-Six" (I know...stupidity on my part for this one in hindsight) but "One-Zero-Six" works for me.

Thanks

I think this thread was stickied by mistake. I think it was the:
    "Start Here - FAQ's for Google Home, Amazon Echo, Philips Hue, LightwaveRF, Ring, etc"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057674494
    thread that was going to be stickied, as it points to all the FAQ's and is a good starting point for someone new to this forum.

Also this thread was badly merged. It was originally called "Google Home FAQ" but the title got renamed badly when merged with another thread on Google Home.

I've pointed all this out to the mods and I'm sure they will sort it when they get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Reading up on these, I've read that bluetooth isn't possible, but you can "Stream directly from phone to Google Home". How is this done? Is it only got Google phones or can you play from an iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Have two of these on the way - Can't wait - Two large Alexas for sale if anyone is interested :)

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Reading up on these, I've read that bluetooth isn't possible, but you can "Stream directly from phone to Google Home". How is this done? Is it only got Google phones or can you play from an iPhone?

As Patww79 says, it uses Chromecast protocol. Many if not most apps have cast support built in. No it isn't limited to Android phones either, many (but not all) apps on iPhone support it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

If someone was going to the US (NY) where would be the best place to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Best Buy - 5th Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

I asked a friend over in Hong Kong to look into buying Echo, Home and some of the other exciting HA stuff mentioned on this IoT forum.
    Can you believe the most he found was the Belkin and TPLINK plugs. Says that most electric/ electronic shops not even aware yet alone interested in Smart Home stuff.
    Some kind of irony in that most of the products we discuss here are most likely contract manufactured just over the border in Shenzhen or Guangzhou to meet our European and North American demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If I get one shipped from the US, can I change the plug for a European one, or do I need to use the US plug with an adapter?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If I get one shipped from the US, can I change the plug for a European one, or do I need to use the US plug with an adapter?

For now you need to use an adaptor.

The end you plug into the Home does come out, but it looks like a pretty unique connector. It might be possible to find a match in terms of shape and power specs, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

Once it is released in the UK, I'm sure it will be easy to get a replacement plug for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone able to advise of the shipping wieght and dimensions for the google home, trying to organise fedex of one!

Advertisement