Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Documentation of the history of an old Street

• 22-07-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a house on an old street in Dublin, built for tram drivers back in the 1890s/early 1900s. A lot of the really old people on the street have never lived anywhere else. They have a huge amount of knowledge and stories about the row of cottages, and the people who lived there. They know quirky things about the layout of the street, and random pieces of information about old lanes that existed which have since been consumed. They even know history about the inside of the houses.

It's a sad time really, because unfortunately we've had a bad year on the street of some of the older people dying, and suddenly their house is bought, stripped, and a young couple arrive which is great but all that history seems to go in an instant.:(

I had the idea that maybe some of it should be documented, but I don't know if I'm being stupid and I would have no idea of what the proper process would be. Is it as simple as going to the resident's committee rep (who lives on the street) to talk about the idea? Would I knock on people's doors to see if they're interested in taking part? Is there someone who does this kind of thing for a living? Also, if stories were collected, would I be allowed to post them online with names and dates etc? I have googled the street, and I have found one or two threads in the past 10 years where people were looking for some history on a grandfather/relative who had lived on the street (one of whom lived in my house actually).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I would definitely be in favour of recording the tales and stories of these older residents. I've had experience interviewing older residents for a college thing I was doing. I found most of the people I spoke to were only delighted to chat and tell you their stories. I'd probably start by having informal chats and see who might be interested.
    There could be a wealth of history in your street. Lots of railway workers enlisted to fight in WWl, that would be an area worth exploring. There could be plenty of photos of the residents and their families throughout the years. The census forms would also be useful. Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I'm not sure of the ethics involved in doing such research outside a college context but I presume it could be done through the guise of the residents association. I have seen an amazing response to a Facebook group set up where my late Mam used to live. People are so willing to share photos and information. I think you would regret not doing it. Have a chat with the Resident's committee rep, you've nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Someone' could certainly take it on as a project. The Dublin City Archives (upstairs in Pearse Street library) might be a place to start in terms of accessing help (and possible resources). There may even be a city council budget for some small scale work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A local history group 'grew' in Kenmare Co Kerry to do just what you are talking about; they have published two or three annuals covering the streets of the town. They have a facebook page Kenmare Chronicle. Local history at its best! LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Thanks for the responses. It's only about 10/15 houses so it would be pretty small scale. I can see on the census website those who lived in the houses in 1911. Am I correct in thinking there's no way to access the data from the later censuses (until 100 years have passed)? Not that I need them I suppose. The main thing is talking to those in their 80's and 90's to see what information they could share about the street. I'm very sorry I didn't do it sooner. There was a lady in her 80's who seemed to have a crystal clear memory about growing up on the street. Her passing was the main trigger for me to consider doing this.

A local history group 'grew' in Kenmare Co Kerry to do just what you are talking about; they have published two or three annuals covering the streets of the town. They have a facebook page Kenmare Chronicle. Local history at its best! LINK

Ah! thanks for sharing this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

CPTM wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. It's only about 10/15 houses so it would be pretty small scale. I can see on the census website those who lived in the houses in 1911. Am I correct in thinking there's no way to access the data from the later censuses (until 100 years have passed)? Not that I need them I suppose. The main thing is talking to those in their 80's and 90's to see what information they could share about the street. I'm very sorry I didn't do it sooner. There was a lady in her 80's who seemed to have a crystal clear memory about growing up on the street. Her passing was the main trigger for me to consider doing this.

If you go to the Dublin City Archives you can get the electoral rolls (they used to be online) which can jog memories about names in the 30s.
    they also have the city directories like Thom's for each year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You're right that no census is available past 1911 yet. But you can help by signing a petition to release 1926 early!
    Just be aware that numbers on the houses on the census may not be the numbers you have now - in lots of places, enumerators assigned their own numbering system to ensure they got every house.

I think it's a wonderful idea for a project & you should definitely consider whether a local history society would help (or hinder).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Oral history can be valuable but if this were to proceed as described in the OP, Data Protection legislation will probably apply. Copyright legislation will also apply.

I'd have a Google to see if there is an oral history project running in the area and the local library may be able to advise. There are lots of resources online regarding oral history.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Old maps would be interesting too.

You will have the births up to 1919, marriages up to 1949 and deaths up to 1969, all online, to fill out some details. The War Grave Commission would have good records of deaths of soldiers in WW1 and buried abroad.

I researched a Dublin railway driver in his 30's in WW1 and there was mention that some Irish staff went to England to fill the gaps where young railwaymen had enlisted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just to make a correction to the above: we're only up to 1918/1943/1968 for births/marriages/deaths.
    They only just uploaded 2 extra years so I'd say there's zero chance of seeing the actual release due this year this year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Just to make a correction to the above: we're only up to 1918/1943/1968 for births/marriages/deaths.
    They only just uploaded 2 extra years so I'd say there's zero chance of seeing the actual release due this year this year.

Sorry I've been offline for the past day. Can I please ask for a link to the births/deaths/marriages for those years?

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

and the index (up to 1958) might be of use too.
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347 You might have to register for that but it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

If you PM me the name of the Street, I will give you information on soldiers from there who died in the WW1.

Advertisement