Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newspaper Lookup

• 12-07-2019 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Would anyone be so kind, if it is even possible to see if there is an obituary available for a John Mcnamara died 5 Nov 1906 in Limerick.

I've checked the obituary section in the local studies section of the limerick library website but to no avail.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not seeing anything in the Irish Newspaper Archive.
    Was he a person of standing? Unless he was, it would be unlikely at that time to have a mention in the paper. Or was there anything unusual about the death? An accident maybe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Death record here: died of heart failure, so doesn't look like an unusual death that might require an inquest.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just jumping on this thread...
    I am trying to find out if there is a newspaper report on the drowning of two boys in Dublin Bay in 1875. Both were sons of C of I clergy and I thought Irish Times would have item. I have access to archives and can only find a death notice for one. Is there another newspaper that might have had more local news items? Date of incident was Oct 2 1875. They are buried together in Deans Grange.

What were their names?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

William J Mason and Henry C McClelland both aged 15 yrs drowned 2 Oct 1875 in Dublin Bay. I thought there might be an inquest even.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So far have only found a small report in the Freeman's Journal on the incident. PM me an email and I will send you it.

Same. But shocked at how many mentions of drowning in a single month!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There are several mentions of the sad event in the Irish Times (IT)–
    The IT of 5 Oct on page 2 has a report on it – says they were in a canvas punt; their mothers had a request for info in the ‘Public Notices ‘ same paper + on the same date. The Freemans Journal of 5/10 also mentions the canvas punt.

IT of 14/10 has a report of Mason’s body being found near Poolbeg; his watch was stopped at 3.20 indicating that the event happened soon after they left.

Page 2 of IT on 16/10 has a report of the second body (McClelland) being found at Booterstown station.

I used the FMP search. Hint – I’ve always found success uneven when using ‘Mc’ prefixes as sometimes the engine does not pick up M’ e.g. M’Clelland instead of McClelland. Most of the ‘hits’ above were found when using 'Mason' and keyword 'drown' ; they often appeared under 'Kingstown Report'. If you have a problem in locating the above PM me.

Thanks for further detail Pedro! I am bit disappointed in my results from Irish Times archives. I thought I had enough clues. I think in the end I only found a death notice for one funeral. They were buried together but one day apart.(Deans Grange burial records now online). Both were youngest sons of deceased fathers who were C of I clergy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement