Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913" Familysearch Database

• 25-06-2017 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

A new database has been launched on familysearch.org entitled "Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913".

It can be found at this link: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2659409

I only just came across it a few minutes ago, so I'm still working out what exactly is in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds like the irishgenealogy.ie index and images to me; nothing we don't already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The few sample records I looked at were partial extracted records (like B, M, D), mostly civil, and some with images available but only "To signed-in members of supporting organizations. When using the site at a family history center."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Interesting that they don't have up to 1915 though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have tried ten family members and it finds no record of any of them. I think it must be a very limited set. Rather a large number of entries in Irish too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is this not just an amalgamation of some of the existing Family Search civil indexes along with some additional transcripts from irishgenealogy.ie?

According to Claire Santry the new collection holds deaths from 1864 to 1870 but there is already such a collection at Family Search.

Furthermore, the example Claire gives in her blog of the 1851 marriage of James Adair looks to be the very same extracted record already available in the Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898 collection.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You could be on to something there Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

shanew wrote: »
    The few sample records I looked at were partial extracted records (like B, M, D), mostly civil, and some with images available but only "To signed-in members of supporting organizations. When using the site at a family history center."
    Hermy wrote: »
    Is this not just an amalgamation of some of the existing Family Search civil indexes along with some additional transcripts from irishgenealogy.ie?

According to Claire Santry the new collection holds deaths from 1864 to 1870 but there is already such a collection at Family Search.

Furthermore, the example Claire gives in her blog of the 1851 marriage of James Adair looks to be the very same extracted record already available in the Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898 collection.

Both of ye are right, Claire Santry updated her blog post: http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2017/06/new-familysearch-civil-reg-collection.html
    spurious wrote: »
    Have tried ten family members and it finds no record of any of them. I think it must be a very limited set. Rather a large number of entries in Irish too.

I find the fact that a lot of the entries are translated into Irish interesting. I wonder what was the reasoning behind it, given that genealogists in Ireland and abroad would be searching the records in English.

Advertisement