Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

• 24-01-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭

Guys I've updated the Irish Game thread by merging it with the links that were posted in the "Sticky Suggestion" thread. So keep an eye here for updates on aspects of the Irish Game, teams, games etc.

(Just to make sure credit goes where it is due, this idea is not mine, it was originally posted by Incredible Bulk, but whatever way I merged the threads it didn't work out that his was the first post....I'm just a child :( )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

A links sticky

Heres a few for Irish American football
    http://www.irish-american-football.org/
    http://www.belfastbulls.com/
    http://www.carrickfergusknights.com/
    http://www.corkadmirals.com/
    http://www.dublindragons.com/
    http://www.dublinrebels.com/main.html '04 Champs

Thats all I can think of at the moment, there may be a few newer teams coming through at the minute. Also of course all the obvious american links too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Good start ger.

Don't forget http://www.eteamz.com/ulvikings

http://www.iafoa.org - officials site.
    http://www.iafl.info - same as irish-american-football.org just shorter.
    http://www.iafs.co.uk - the "scene" - most teams and players get on here to talk about everything.

There should definitely also be a rugby/american football debate thread stickified. It would save having to read and reply to all the *idiots* calling it rugby for pussies. I hate having to explain to people everytime they call it "rugby for pussies" all the reasons that its not! It's one of the 1st things that needs to be done. I can work on a draft of these stickies if you want.

Barry B aka "tripb"
    Dublin Dragons #77.

*edit* Just say "rugby for wimps in armor..." in my school girl like giddiness of finding the amfoot forums i forgot to check all the stickies - good work.

The League Homepage:

Irish American Football League

The Referee's Homepage

Irish American Football Officials Association

The Teams

Belfast Bulls Website

Carrickfergus Knights Website

Cork Admirals Website

Dublin Dragons Website

Dublin Rebels Website

University of Limerick Vikings*Website
    *Afaik you don't have to study at UL to play.

Development Teams
    Craigavon Cowboys Website
    Dunboyne Druids [contact= billbo2003 at hotmail dot com]
    Galway ? [no contact details to date]

Unofficial Forums aka IAFS used by most teams and players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bigrepz

So, who are the top players in the Irish League? I was reading an article on the IAFL website and some guy from cork was offered a scholarship to play NCAA in Texas! Is this true?

Yeap its true, that would be Alan O' Carroll, one of their linebackers. Strangely enough he turned down the offer ....

As for best players in the league, thats a little tougher. You see thats personal opinion, and in my opinion there are a few standouts that should be included.

Brian Dennehy - RB (rebels)
    Andy Dennehy - QB (rebels)
    Kevin Downs - QB (bulls)
    Dave Wheeler - RB (dragons)
    Paul McKillop - WR (knights)
    Alan O' Carrol - LB (admirals)

... it's actually really tough to pick the top players but theres the ones that spring to mind automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bigrepz

I was quiet interested to hear that this guy turned down that offer so I did a bit of snooping. I know a few guys in Cork and one of them said he knows one of the Cork Admiral players. Apparently O'Carroll was over training with the PA Knights, the current British champions, a few months ago...

Not so sure about that - he was over in Derby a few months ago with myself and the rest of the irish team getting demolished by the Great Britiain Bulldog's though.

irlgb1.jpg

Alan is #42 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

I reckon Brian Dennehy is the best in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thejuice

Hey Im a big NFL fan and was shocked to find that theres a leaugue in Ireland. I mean where has it been hiding all my life. Anyway now that i know that there is one im mad to get out there and play. I've tried to make contact with dunboyne driuds nearest team to me through the contact info given on IAFL websitebut it has yeilded little response. So do any of you know when or where they practice or any useful info about matches would be great.

And i'd like to know how to get to any Dublin Dragons or Rebels matches from the City centre relying on public trainsport?

PS Mike Vick is God!!!

The Juice

thejuice wrote:
    And i'd like to know how to get to any Dublin Dragons or Rebels matches from the City centre relying on public trainsport?

PS Mike Vick is God!!!

The Juice

Druids will probably be a while without a team, they only really expressed an interest and had about 10-12 people, give them a while before training starts.

It couldn't be easier to get to a dragons home game, from city centre get a 25A until the last stop. And you have to walk for like a minute to get to the pitch, and from there 2 minutes to a mcdonalds :D .

As for the rebels, you can get the dart out to Greystones and they play at the rugby club out there.

We (dragons) have a game against the UL Vikings on sunday week (20th) in lucan. Kick off i beleive is 2pm. See you there ;)

TripB,
    Dragons #77.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow (20th) the Dublin Dragons host the UL Vikings at Lucan Community College (opposite superquinn).

Kick Off is at 1 p.m everyone is welcome to show up and watch the game.

As i've said before the 25A from Dublin drops you literally a minute's walk away from the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Anything over the southside?

Definitely going to see a few games, I've seen some people playing/training in Blackrock but never thought more of it. I had no idea it was so developed over here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

DCU Saints.

www.dcusaints.com

New team, based in, well, DCU, plan on joining the league next season.
    All our training and games will be held in Glasnevin.

We actually contated the Druids when establishing the club, it doesn't look good, don't think they'll be making a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 NDMARSHALS

North Dublin Marshals a new team setting up September this year for the 2006 of the Irish American Football League.

North Dublin Marshals have started training now, anyone interested is willing to come along. At the moment training is in St. Annes park in Raheny (every sunday from about 12:30). We are also lucky enough to have a very experienced coach come over in mid october to coach us (ex-NFL and USFL player). Should be an exciting year for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

Do the Dragons still play in Lucan?

Yes they do, theyre training round the corner from their homeground at midday on sundays at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Could it ever be possible for an Ifish NFLE team. It'd be great. IMHO i don't think that the interest is big enough for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

When does the Irish season run?
    Whats the story with the saints, do you have to be a DCUer? How much do they charge for membership gear etc? Thanks for any replies!

As far as I know you do not have to attend DCU to play for the saints. As I dont play for them I cant possibly tell you how much they charge for membership or gear but what you can do is either pm BizzyC on here or go to www.iafs.co.uk and post in the DCU Saints section and you should get a fast reply. Them students have nothing but time on their hands.

The League AGM is on the 27th of November and there should be a schedule released shortly afterwards, the season usually starts in April, running through to the end of August when the Shamrock Bowl is played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

I'm the defensive coordinator for the DCU Saints.You dont have to be a member of the university to join our team.We train Sunday from 11AM-2.15PM and we have a playbook meeting Thurs evenings.Anyone interested in joining or sponsoring DCU Saints can contact me at

Airtrafficcontrol33@yahoo.co.uk

Darrin O'Toole
    Defensive Coordinator
    DCU Saints

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Sorry to drag up an old thread but have been very intrested in joining a team or at least trying out for one. I am 16 and unfit, I'm big and have a very good throw (precision and Distance) have never played before but I play rugby for my school team would anybody have any info on trials or training sessions I could join in. Cheers for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

To be honest at 16 chances are your too young. I would say you would have to be over 18 too play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I dont think you do, but heres a link that will help ya :)
    forums for the league here in ireland
    www.iafs.co.uk

Cheers Chucky the tree and Wilburt. Would really like to start now but could wait till 18. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Cheers Chucky the tree and Wilburt. Would really like to start now but could wait till 18. Thanks for the link.
    There's no restriction on age given you're 16, there's been a few players play at that age. No team will play you unless you're ready - the coaches will decide that. You're more than welcome to come train with the DCU Saints - I'll pm you details if you want but the regular season is nearly over now - there's five weeks left and most Dublin teams have a few games so won't be training much.

jdivision wrote:
    There's no restriction on age given you're 16, there's been a few players play at that age. No team will play you unless you're ready - the coaches will decide that. You're more than welcome to come train with the DCU Saints - I'll pm you details if you want but the regular season is nearly over now - there's five weeks left and most Dublin teams have a few games so won't be training much.

Cheers if you could do that it would be great. Could you just tell me when and where, what I need for first few days and how much it will cost. It would probably be better join now then and pick up a few tips for next season. Sorry for the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

There Is Also Flag Football Which Is Similar To The Kitted Game And There Are Youth Teams About. It Is 5 A Side Nfl Rules,so A Team Is Easy To Start. There Will Be A Tournament At Alsaa On Saturday 1st July,starting At 1 Pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 liverpoolkev

How much does it cost to start up I.E gear and everything. Thinking of starting up but would have to know how much and do you pay that every year and how much do you pay per match. DCU is the closest to me so if someone from there can post and tell me that would be great.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geoff_nfl

hey i am probs gonna join dcu this yr 2 nd havnt played b4 so am going to try it out. i wud advise u 2 giv it a go nd see if you like the game before you splash out all of the cash on gear, the gear is pretty pricey your lookin at between 100 euro and 350 for shoulder pads depending on what make or level you wana play at. just some general prices. i havnt gone to the team yet so i dont know if they give you gear or what. sorry i dont have anymore info at the moment!!!

Advertisement