Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fumes in sitting room

Options
  • 06-04-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

recently we've been having a gas, fumes, petrol smell in the sitting room.

This room is the only room in the house with a fireplace ( although not in use )

The smell went away over night and seemed to come back today when the heating came back on - however the boiler ( gas ) is in the garage, at least 20 feet away - there is no smell near bolier and between.

My initial thought was soot smell - the wind seemed to be coming from a strange direction yesterday and this might be the cause - a down draught in the chimney.

today I broke and called gas networks -they kindly came and checked the place over and its fine

so ..... anyone any ideas what it might be - its strong and disgusting, a little nauseating

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Next door neighbour's chimney exhaust coming down your chimney?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

that could be it alright - is there a way to stop that ? ( that doesnt include me having to talk to the w*nker )
    Any reason why it may have just started now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A cowling that rotates away from the prevailing wind night solve it - if that is the cause.

Sorry, I'm just a punter so not qualified to answer further.

Maybe one of the experts here might have more ideas.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

acrid smell still about today, and I am fairly sure the neighbour doesn't have any fire lighting - not seen any smoke any time I tried looking up.

seems to be only in the sitting room - finding it bizzare.

Anyone a clue how you find a smell source ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

RobAMerc wrote: »
    acrid smell still about today, and I am fairly sure the neighbour doesn't have any fire lighting - not seen any smoke any time I tried looking up.

seems to be only in the sitting room - finding it bizzare.

Anyone a clue how you find a smell source ?

Check your light fittings. Sometimes the plastic next to the bulb can melt and give off a weird toxic smell. Have a look for any evidence of burning/melting...

• Advertisement
Advertisement