Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What sander should I buy?

• 06-04-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Need a sander for mahogany skirting board and mahogany doors and frames, I've a whole house to do, do I need to sand back to original wood, it has already been stained/varnished, don't plan on staining again but priming and satin paint finish so want to do it right first time, anyone any experience with this and could advise what sander to make job as pleasant as possible and how/what I need to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You don't need to sand back to bare wood for painting, just a light surface sanding to give the primer a key. If you could get some 120 grit Abranet it would make the job much easier than using regular sandpaper and 240 grit Abranet for sanding before the final coat of paint, you will probably have to look for the Abranet online, there is no need to buy a sander, but you could get the Abranet sanding block which can be connected to a vacuum to make the job easier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

I presume that Mirka system can't be connected directly to your vacuum, but needs a collection system in between, like those cyclone collectors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

cletus wrote: »
    I presume that Mirka system can't be connected directly to your vacuum, but needs a collection system in between, like those cyclone collectors

There is a plastic gizmo available online which will connect a Mirka sander to the Numatic series of vacuums. Mirka of course sell a dedicated vacuum - for a big price.The OP would probably be better off getting a regular sander with a bag for a one off project ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Thanks for all the replies, I have a Henry neumatic so thats half the battle, so a sanding block and light sanding is sufficient and then primer and sand again and then top coat. Is that correct.

august12 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, I have a Henry neumatic so thats half the battle, so a sanding block and light sanding is sufficient and then primer and sand again and then top coat. Is that correct.

Correct.

The Mirka kit and abranet is excellent. Ideally suited to the job you're taking on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

JayZeus wrote: »
    Correct.

The Mirka kit and abranet is excellent. Ideally suited to the job you're taking on.
    There are quite a few sizes of sanding blocks in this range, any idea what I should get, mostly skirting boards and door frames with lots of grooves,

Advertisement