Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-03-2020, 10:53   #1
Moreilly
Registered User
 
Moreilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 448
HELP ! Lights turning themselves on?

Strange problem - I have two lamp posts in the garden, there for years and both lamposts have a normal outdoor socket at the bottom used to power christmas lights and things like that.

yesterday i started using one of the sockets to power a cctv camera, no problem so far. But then, a few hours later i looked out the window and the lights on the lampost were lit up. I tried turning the lights off from the normal rocker switch at the front door and they would not turn off.

The only way i gould get them to turn off was to turn off the 'SWA front garden' tripswitch in the main panel, then i turned the switch back on and all was well until late last night when my daughter looked out the window and the outdoor lamp posts were on again, so i powered it down with the tripswitch and left it off

But worryingly, when the 'SWA front garden' tripswitch is in the off position and i press the normal lightswitch at the front door the lights come on and off as usual and when the lights come on the power sockets at the bottom of the posts also turn on?
any idea what might be happening?
Moreilly is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 10:55   #2
blackbox
Registered User
 
blackbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,933
You need an exorcist!
blackbox is offline  
29-03-2020, 11:11   #3
Moreilly
Registered User
 
Moreilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
You need an exorcist!
I think i might !, this makes no sense!
I turned the SWA tripswitch back on about an hour ago, both lamp posts lit up and sockets at the base of each lamp post became active even though the 'normal light switch' was in the off position.

Decided to leave it for a while with everything in this state. just looked out the window there now and both lamposts have turned themselves off and 'normal lightswitch' is acting as it should turning the lights on and off. the same thing happened yesterday, it seemed to fix itself then revert to be always on in the middle of the night.
i'm sure there is logic to what is happening somewhere but i cant see it.....
Moreilly is offline  
29-03-2020, 11:14   #4
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18,820
Quite likely there is leakage or cables damaged and lives touching.
punisher5112 is offline  
29-03-2020, 11:20   #5
looksee
Moderator
We had something slightly similar with a door bell, it turned out to be woodlice that had got into the bell and were making occasional contacts/shorting it/something. This is probably not a bit helpful!
looksee is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 11:44   #6
2011
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,810
So in summary when the OP turns off the light switch sometimes the lights turn off as they should and sometimes they don’t. Other times the lights just come in themselves.

As everything else described behaves as it should most likely this is simply a faulty light switch. It may have failed due to switching higher currents than it is designed for i.e. socket loads.

On another note sockets and lights should not normally be on the same circuit. There are exceptions to this but I would doubt that in the OP’s case this is permitted (only a guess based on what has been described).
2011 is offline  
29-03-2020, 11:53   #7
kramer1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
So in summary when the OP turns off the light switch sometimes the lights turn off as they should and sometimes they don’t. Other times the lights just come in themselves.

As everything else described behaves as it should most likely this is simply a faulty light switch. It may have failed due to switching higher currents than it is designed for i.e. socket loads.

On another note sockets and lights should not normally be on the same circuit. There are exceptions to this but I would doubt that in the OP’s case this is permitted (only a guess based on what has been described).
Or witches
kramer1 is offline  
29-03-2020, 13:30   #8
Bruthal
Registered User
 
Bruthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,229
Are there separate circuits for the lamp posts, and sockets at the lamps?

Possibly a multi core swa, with separate circuits for lights and socket. Maybe even with the neutral shared, which itself wouldnt likely be the cause, but there may be a core for socket phase, and another for lights, and they are shorted intermittently.
Bruthal is offline  
29-03-2020, 14:17   #9
2011
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruthal View Post
Are there separate circuits for the lamp posts, and sockets at the lamps?
The 'SWA front garden' tripswitch suggests not.

Quote:
Possibly a multi core swa, with separate circuits for lights and socket. Maybe even with the neutral shared, which itself wouldnt likely be the cause, but there may be a core for socket phase, and another for lights, and they are shorted intermittently.
I'm reading this as a new issue with something that worked before. I assuming the wiring has not been altered.

If the lamps were changed from filament type to LED and noise on the neutral is causing this, then maybe.

Last edited by 2011; 29-03-2020 at 14:20.
2011 is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 14:19   #10
Bruthal
Registered User
 
Bruthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
I'm reading this as a new issue with something that worked before. I assuming the wiring has not been altered.

If the lamps were changed from filament type to LED and noise on the neutral is causing this, then maybe.
OP says with swa tripswitch off, lights still come on. Sounds like 2 circuits to me, from what info was posted.
Bruthal is offline  
29-03-2020, 14:21   #11
2011
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruthal View Post
OP says with swa tripswitch off, lights still come on. Sounds like 2 circuits to me, from what info was posted.

..........I missed that bit! My bad.
2011 is offline  
29-03-2020, 14:32   #12
Bruthal
Registered User
 
Bruthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,229
Also, with the swa tripswitch off, light switch still brings on light, and socket along with it.

Sounds like a problem with socket circuit and light circuit shorted if indeed there are 2 circuits, and if it is a single swa to lighting pole, it seems probable be a short where the cores are terminated outside.

All assuming the light switch did just switch the lights originally.

But as with anything diagnosed blindly, many things are possible.
Bruthal is offline  
29-03-2020, 14:48   #13
Bruthal
Registered User
 
Bruthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
..........I missed that bit! My bad.
I wasnt sure myself, just assuming 2 circuits.
Bruthal is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet