Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goodbye Yangon

Options
  • 29-03-2020 8:01am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Have been in Yangon, Myanmar since last October. It has been a bit of a turbulent time. Thoroughly enjoyed it but did not have my photography mojo. I also avoided the tourist attractions in preference to interacting with the local people.
    This Covid19 meant we were all repatriated. It was supposed to be the end of the month but then was brought forward. I had two days to pack up my flat and get on a plane.

Here are a few shots from over my time there.

My first morning here. Not a great shot but in my series of Photo's from my room.

48972394283_9f7141f2cf_b.jpg

While looking for flats I saw this desirable residence on the other side of the road. Still not sure what colour it is.

48973122037_3489351993_b.jpg

The flat I rented and where I am now.

48973121267_6d301fb910_b.jpg

The Mosque opposite. The call to prayer is why my rent is cheaper than if this flat were elsewhere.

48972945876_4d0d82714f_b.jpg

The Swedagon Pagoda. I worked near it and it's a tourist attraction but I did not visit.

49007056838_dffa456be5_b.jpg

The view down my street.

49141702736_cdff5101e5_b.jpg

Nuns out gathering Alms down my street.

49387147923_28974d99ea_b.jpg

The local Wet Market where I would buy most of my food.

49372330158_3d8bc68494_c.jpg

Getting some watermelon while the Boss supervises

49665090793_0817c7a506_b.jpg

Fresh poultry waiting to be purchased.

49665917447_462cd8ce28_b.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Nice photos. So You are leaving Yangon now and coming back to Ireland?

What did you Work at over tere?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Was evacuated a week ago. Now in Self Isolation back in Australia.

I was there as an Australian Volunteer doing a 7 month project with the Department of Medical Research. You get a living allowance and an subsidy to rent accommodation. They pay for return airfares and provide insurance.

The team of volunteers are quite amazing people as nobody is there for the money.

The cost of living there is very affordable. I chose to live downtown where there was easy access to Chinatown and there was a large wet market a few blocks away. I would catch the bus home and walk down the 26th Street Market to my flat. The bus fare was about 12¢. Maybe pick up a fresh chicken for €3.20 and a bunch of asparagus for 40¢

Wine is expensive but Beer is fairly cheap at €1.80 a pint with a few quite nice stouts. Have to be careful as they are over 8% strength. The spirits are very cheap. A bottle of gin would be €1.15 to €1.40 and you can taste the benefit of the 15¢ too. Whisky was a bit more and the top shelf bottles would be €2.70

The people were lovely and very honest. I had a guy wait on my doorstep for half an hour as he had overcharged me 80¢

I am out of there a week and really missing it. I do hope i get the chance to head back when this Covid Crisis is over.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Was evacuated a week ago. Now in Self Isolation back in Australia.

I was there as an Australian Volunteer doing a 7 month project with the Department of Medical Research. You get a living allowance and an subsidy to rent accommodation. They pay for return airfares and provide insurance.

The team of volunteers are quite amazing people as nobody is there for the money.

The cost of living there is very affordable. I chose to live downtown where there was easy access to Chinatown and there was a large wet market a few blocks away. I would catch the bus home and walk down the 26th Street Market to my flat. The bus fare was about 12¢. Maybe pick up a fresh chicken for €3.20 and a bunch of asparagus for 40¢

Wine is expensive but Beer is fairly cheap at €1.80 a pint with a few quite nice stouts. Have to be careful as they are over 8% strength. The spirits are very cheap. A bottle of gin would be €1.15 to €1.40 and you can taste the benefit of the 15¢ too. Whisky was a bit more and the top shelf bottles would be €2.70

The people were lovely and very honest. I had a guy wait on my doorstep for half an hour as he had overcharged me 80¢

I am out of there a week and really missing it. I do hope i get the chance to head back when this Covid Crisis is over.

Some bargains there alright.

We’re you not afraid of those wet markets? And then the whole treatment of animals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Wasn't afraid of the Wet Markets. It is where most people get their food.

The animals are not mistreated, though they end up dead. The goats and pigs are slaughtered elsewhere and carcasses brought in, so I would only buy that in the mornings.

Most poultry is brought to market in bamboo cages. The vendor will have some dressed birds on the table and as they are sold others will be dispatched and prepared. The treatment of these birds is far superior to footage I have seen of factory poultry being processed here in Australia. That was cruel but it is out of mind and the average consumer can pretend it was made in a disposable container covered in cling film.

The flavour of the chicken I bought there was amazing. These birds would be truly free range, you can see it on the feet. When I first cooked one it immediately brought back memories of chicken when I was a child some 50 years ago. Since returning here I have the local product again and it is bland. I am now considering rebuilding my coop and having some meat birds as well as layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

I always assumed you were younger!No idea why.

• Advertisement

My youthful good looks? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Great photos. I was there last summer. Brings back great memories. I was only in Yangon, and staying in a hostel with people who were going all over the country. Made me really want to travel more there.

the inside of the gaff looks decent, then out on the street just looks poor

It is a poor country which was closed for many years. It is now opening up.

It does have the look of many cities in SE Asia. A certain level of neglect and disrepair.

How long were you there Dory?

My flat was quite nice. I made sure I had a decent home base with a spare room. Quite a few said they would visit but none did. Accommodation for foreigners is only available where it is registered with the government and a fee paid. My budget was about US$600 to US$650 a month. I looked at quite a few. The cheapest was $560 and it was a kip. Dark and moldy. This place was lovely and I got it for $700. So a bit over but worth it. The call to prayer from the mosque put some off.

The kitchen was basic. It had a fridge, microwave, kettle and two burner gas cooker. I bought myself an oven with the intention of selling it at the same price when leaving. In the end I sold it at quite a loss and threw in a Toaster, Food Processor and baking equipment. It was lucky I was able to get anything in the time I had.

Landlord has said I can rent it again if i come back. To call him directly next time.

I am missing the place. The people were the best bit.

Advertisement