Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2020, 21:50   #16
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
I'm worried, without the tin foil hat, that all the entitlements and rights we have (in all aspects of life) that are slowly and not so slowly being given over because of this virus may not be given back to us or will be used as a stepping stone to completely remove them.

In the states some left leaning Governors are using the virus as an excuse to close down gun stores and stop all sales. Its in breach of the 2nd amendment but they're doing it.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 20:24   #17
Grizzly 45

And it's in direct violation of Federal post Katrina legislation,that permits an individual to retain their guns and carry open or concealed in any disaster area or other zone of impact. So iOW both of those women who enacted this can be politely told to take a flying jump,and again the NCIS computer for instant backround checks has crashed again,due to the sheer weight of guns bought again in the US.Its no so bad that even avowed anti gunners have been going online looking to buy guns online and have been queing up outside gunstores looking to buy anything that shoots.

Would be a very bad time to start anything stupid like gun confiscation,anywhere now.People are getting jumpy and somthing like this would be all that some would need to start the "Boogaloo". Especially after the guy who coined that term was shot dead in his bed,by a bunch of SWAT goons at 04:30 serving a high risk no knock warrant to search the house for illegal arms.Of which there were none.
23-03-2020, 15:00   #18
cookimonster

Renewal in the post today, so with the current situation all seems normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200323_145815.jpg (1.62 MB, 403 views)
(3) thanks from:
23-03-2020, 21:42   #19
zeissman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissman View Post
I think they will still process renewals but they might stop taking new applications.
I was a bit worried myself as I had to apply for a new licence as I have a rifle away at the moment being rebarreled to a different calibre.
I got the grant letter on Thursday.
I got my licence but I noticed one of the digits in the serial no was wrong so i had to go back with it.
I enquired about my rifle and it's at the proof house in London for the last 5 or 6 weeks. With the lockdown now God knows when il get it back.
I'm not that bothered to be honest, I just hope I'm still around when it does get back
24-03-2020, 00:38   #20
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissman View Post
With the lockdown now God knows when il get it back.
Be shooting it like this:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hazmat shooting.jpg (42.4 KB, 348 views)
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 07:51   #21
cookimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Be shooting it like this:

Being there, done that and had to wash the t shirt after it. Lucky to even hit a man sized target at 100 yards. It was near impossible to acquire a sight picture and if you did manage one, you'd line your self up on the target and just after your vison fogged up you'd spray and pray. Now thats just on the range practice. Running around the country side in full NBC (as it was called back then) get up was even better. If you didn't die of heat exhaustion, you'd slip in your rubber over boots and smack head first into the obstacle that you didn't see through your fogged up lenses.
Better option was to be shot or gassed instead of the horror of wearing full NBC kit.

Last edited by cookimonster; 24-03-2020 at 07:54.
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2020, 11:33   #22
Grizzly 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookimonster View Post
Being there, done that and had to wash the t shirt after it. Lucky to even hit a man sized target at 100 yards. It was near impossible to acquire a sight picture and if you did manage one, you'd line your self up on the target and just after your vison fogged up you'd spray and pray. Now thats just on the range practice. Running around the country side in full NBC (as it was called back then) get up was even better. If you didn't die of heat exhaustion, you'd slip in your rubber over boots and smack head first into the obstacle that you didn't see through your fogged up lenses.
Better option was to be shot or gassed instead of the horror of wearing full NBC kit.
Not to mind cheek weld goes out the door as well,forget scope usage and it gets more fun then in low light conditions and disorentation commands....Happy times!!!
Thanks from:
25-03-2020, 13:42   #23
Vizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
I submitted a renewal on Thursday, so I'll keep ye posted
Renewal arrived today, so 10 days.

I get the impression that the Gardaí ( locally at least ) are trying to clear the decks before Covid really kicks in.
Thanks from:
25-03-2020, 14:55   #24
cookimonster

DOOM & GLOOM.....

It's getting closer....

http://www.ballycastlechronicle.co.u...allenges-8628/

'The PSNI Firearms & Explosives Branch is advising the firearms community of changes to service due to the unprecedented challenges presented by Covid-19.
Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd said: "We will prioritise re-grant applications. 
“All other applications, however, such as Initial Applications, Variations, including one-on-one-offs, will not be processed at this time.'
Advertisement
26-03-2020, 23:23   #25
Zxthinger

Just dropped a licence application tonight.. They had sign saying essential business only. But the still took it.
Gave them a box of gloves. Well, half a box. They took them without question. I only brought the gloves in to the reception in case they refused to process the licence on account of having to touch it etc.
The gards's eyes lit up when he seen the gloves on the desk. So I told him to take them.
I have others.
(4) thanks from:
26-03-2020, 23:45   #26
slipperyox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxthinger View Post
Just dropped a licence application tonight.. They had sign saying essential business only. But the still took it.
Gave them a box of gloves. Well, half a box. They took them without question. I only brought the gloves in to the reception in case they refused to process the licence on account of having to touch it etc.
The gards's eyes lit up when he seen the gloves on the desk. So I told him to take them.
I have others.
Gloves are the new donuts dude!
(3) thanks from:
27-03-2020, 08:43   #27
ZiabR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxthinger View Post
I have others.
Fair play to you. Hopefully your application will be processed without delay but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually go down the route of the UK and ONLY process renewals until Covid 19 blows over.
Thanks from:
01-04-2020, 14:56   #28
Hunter456

handed in my renewal last week got the letter they received the application Monday, got the grant letter back today.
01-04-2020, 15:02   #29
zeissman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiabR View Post
Fair play to you. Hopefully your application will be processed without delay but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually go down the route of the UK and ONLY process renewals until Covid 19 blows over.
I would think the same.
I can't see many crime prevention officers wanting to go into homes to check security for new applications during the current crisis.
04-04-2020, 13:11   #30
whydave

Have renewal , contacted the district as local Garda station closed to the public , Was advised to hold off until the travel 'Ban' is up and get in then . Anyone else in this boat ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion