Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-03-2020, 14:50   #46
Cliona2012

Has anyone heard anything further about how casual subs (who don't have days booked for the coming week) will be treated during the closure - in terms of wages?

Last edited by Cliona2012; 13-03-2020 at 15:24.
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 15:20   #47
TheValeyard

It will either be working these two weeks or making up lost days. Staff will not be complying with both. Most schools have set up Office365, notes, information and interactions can take place that way.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 15:22   #48
tonycascarino

I wonder what happens to student teachers who were in the middle of their teaching placements. Surely, they will have to do it again at another stage?
13-03-2020, 15:23   #49
TheValeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycascarino View Post
I wonder what happens to student teachers who were in the middle of their teaching placements. Surely, they will have to do it again at another stage?
They'll have to complete hours, but at this stage I'd say most of the inspections have been completed.
13-03-2020, 15:28   #50
tonycascarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
They'll have to complete hours, but at this stage I'd say most of the inspections have been completed.
I know some people who are only 3 weeks into a 10 week placement. No way have all inspections been completed for that.
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 15:29   #51
Shn99

Concerned LC student here, I know I should probably be posting this in the LC thread but it hasnt been used in months. Is it likely this closure will extend into easter? Really worried about loosing motivation as this drags on etc especially with our exams only 2 1/2 months away
13-03-2020, 15:30   #52
TheValeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycascarino View Post
I know some people who are only 3 weeks into a 10 week placement. No way have all inspections been completed for that.
In our place all inspections are done.

Speaking of inspections....... What are the inspectors going to be doing since all the schools are off?
13-03-2020, 15:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow View Post
Secondary School: They already have EMail, Office365 and MS Teams etc Got email from school a few days ago with their plains to continue teaching online, and links to all the required sites/apps/downloads. No problem as they already use the school's Office365 and email in some homework/projects etc. Books were all brought home from school yesterday. They are following their normal timetable for subjects and started at 9 this morning. The teachers had already setup 'teams/groups' for each class. So far so good. The teachers are giving them work to do, answering questions and getting them to send in their work. I know it is working, because the kids now are complaining to me :-) There has been no use of video links to teach, so far. But I think it is in the works, using Skype.

National School: The school emailed yesterday that all books were being sent time. Child arrived home, their teacher had only sent some workbooks and instructions to work on the next few chapters.
In fairness, they only got 3 hours notice. Like my NS. I'm sure the staff did their best.
13-03-2020, 15:39   #54
micks_address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shn99 View Post
Concerned LC student here, I know I should probably be posting this in the LC thread but it hasnt been used in months. Is it likely this closure will extend into easter? Really worried about loosing motivation as this drags on etc especially with our exams only 2 1/2 months away
No one can say for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if it extends beyond Easter. Some talk of maybe holidays being brought in one week earlier but it's going to evolve over the coming weeks
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 15:44   #55
TheValeyard

Quote:
If your in 6th year a lot of your courses should be or about to be completed by Easter anyway. You should make a study timetable based on your current timetable and try revise or study those subjects at those times. Complete any projects you can and expect the orals to take place after Easter, so you are prepared, even if more delays occur.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 18:37   #56
Shn99

Is it totally outlandish to think that if this gets worse, that it could potentially mean schools closed until end of the academic year?
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 18:46   #57
acequion

Quote:
Is it totally outlandish to think that if this gets worse, that it could potentially mean schools closed until end of the academic year?
Nothing is outlandish is this freakish new universe but what is the point in projecting worse case scenarios like that? We just have to wait and see and hope for the best.
13-03-2020, 20:18   #58
joebloggs32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppen View Post
Your principal is a moron. Fact.
Tell your principal no class should be using Google classroom.
Google not compliant with GDPR as they will not guarantee your cloud storage is EU based or accessible to US authorities. That will tie him/her up in knots!
By the Microsoft are compliant!
(3) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 21:05   #59
spurious
Category Moderator

Thanks to most for sticking to the 'ethos' of this replacement thread.

Please refrain from sniping at other posters. There is nobody here does not want the best for everyone in this situation.

Some schools and teachers were/are slightly better prepared (for a great variety of reasons), it is not their fault others were/are not.

Please remember tone is not always clear in text.
13-03-2020, 22:30   #60
Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelynn Agreeable Manatee View Post
In fairness, they only got 3 hours notice. Like my NS. I'm sure the staff did their best.
The secondary school got the got the same notice as the NS. The difference being they started preparing since last week and what they produced with no real notice was very good. In the afternoon, one teacher had recorded about 15-20mins of video and gave them a task for the rest of the lesson. He must have been up all night recording and editing each class. Complete with a request for a thumbs up, if they liked his video.
Thread Closed