Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day/Night meter rates

• 25-02-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct to post but..

I always though night rates for winter were 11pm - 8am.

I am now told by my supplier that it is in fact 1am - 8am.

I have checked all the suppliers I can think of on line and they all seem to be the same as my current supplier.

Some of the suppliers sites still indicate the 11pm - 8am on some pages (I assume older pages not updated)

So, are all suppliers the same now with reduced night time rate hours and when did this happen?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct to post but..

I always though night rates for winter were 11pm - 8am.

I am now told by my supplier that it is in fact 1am - 8am.

I have checked all the suppliers I can think of on line and they all seem to be the same as my current supplier.

Some of the suppliers sites still indicate the 11pm - 8am on some pages (I assume older pages not updated)

So, are all suppliers the same now with reduced night time rate hours and when did this happen?

Thanks

Follow this with interest. The night time circuit kicks in at 11pm in our flat, so would be getting charged 2hrs normal rate for storage heating unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dologhli

https://www.electricireland.com/residential/help/billing/i-have-a-day-night-meter-what-time-does-the-night-rate-start

Perfect example of conflicting information. Or am I missing something? If so it seems needlessly complicated.

Electricireland.com is their Northern Ireland site, the .ie is their Irish site. I guess the shorter hours are applicable in NI. Still 11-8/12-9 here, I think to change the hours would require adjusting each and every old mechanical meter in the country so unlikely to change (before the smart meter rollout anyway)

EI really could do with making the different markets clearer on their sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

So, my current supplier is telling me its 1am for night saver.... I will have to check if the meter reflects this by seeing which rate figure moves after 11pm.

Its a dumb meter, digital, with a push button that cycles through the date, time (which is 27 minutes fast) and usage on rate 1 (night) and rate 2 (Day)

Edit:
    After reading the above posts, I thought I would double check airtricity

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre/understanding-your-bill/rates-and-charges/how-do-the-rates-work/

Turns out their site says 11pm start time. I was told on the phone it was 1am.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 adropofred

I think all the night rate meters are set up by ESB networks and are supposed to be 11pm to 8am in Winter and 12 - 9am in summer. I can't imagine they would set up different times for different suppliers. My electrician has warned me that they don't always set them up to start at 11 - times can be staggered from 11pm up to 1 am but you will still get 9 hours at night rate. The reason is to prevent a surge of electricity at 11am. Best thing is to take reading at 11pm and 8am for a few times and you'll figure when it stops and starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

adropofred wrote: »
    I think all the night rate meters are set up by ESB networks and are supposed to be 11pm to 8am in Winter and 12 - 9am in summer. I can't imagine they would set up different times for different suppliers. My electrician has warned me that they don't always set them up to start at 11 - times can be staggered from 11pm up to 1 am but you will still get 9 hours at night rate. The reason is to prevent a surge of electricity at 11am. Best thing is to take reading at 11pm and 8am for a few times and you'll figure when it stops and starts.

The meter also has an arrow to show the change to night rate- a bit of a nuisence to be looking at a meter at eleven o clock, I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Hello all.

Does anybody know when the new night meter hours of midnight to 9am kick in?

Is it tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Hello all.

Does anybody know when the new night meter hours of midnight to 9am kick in?

Is it tonight?

Yes ( will be til 9am this morning)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Yes ( will be til 9am this morning)

Thanks. Do the suppliers normally send a message about this? (It’s my fiat time on this day/night meter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Thanks. Do the suppliers normally send a message about this? (It’s my fiat time on this day/night meter)

No, the meter doesn't change the time does.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Thanks for the info. I am with enegia as have ev at home. Changed to day night rate 3 months ago. Can you advise last bill had 399 units at day rate and 280 units on night rate. That's for 2 months .
    Does it make sense to stay on current rate or change to 24 hour meter? Thanks

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I am with enegia as have ev at home. Changed to day night rate 3 months ago. Can you advise last bill had 399 units at day rate and 280 units on night rate. That's for 2 months .
    Does it make sense to stay on current rate or change to 24 hour meter? Thanks

Are you in contract? Is it a new contract from change? What are your unit rates they would have emailed these to you. Are you urban or rural?

The discounted day/night rates are something like

17c Day rate inc vat
    8.2c Night rate inc vat

If those are your unit costs work out at approx: 67.83+ 22.96 = €90.79

There are extremely low 24 hour rates available if you switch suppliers currently as low as 12.95c per unit. That would work out as €87.93

So not much in it. But once the promo period ends you need to switch again or negotiate with your supplier.

The 24 hour standing charge is typically cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Are you in contract? Is it a new contract from change? What are your unit rates they would have emailed these to you. Are you urban or rural?

The discounted day/night rates are something like

17c Day rate inc vat
    8.2c Night rate inc vat

If those are your unit costs work out at approx: 67.83+ 22.96 = €90.79

There are extremely low 24 hour rates available if you switch suppliers currently as low as 12.95c per unit. That would work out as €87.93

So not much in it. But once the promo period ends you need to switch again or negotiate with your supplier.

The 24 hour standing charge is typically cheaper.
    Just
    Switched to energia 2 months ago. Seems like the best rate at the minute as it dropped again this month for day night rate .rural setting.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Just
    Switched to energia 2 months ago. Seems like the best rate at the minute as it dropped again this month for day night rate .rural setting.

If you are on the 41% discount with energia the nightsaver should be a saving.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The only way to avail of the most competitive rates available is to change supplier annually. The maximum discounts only apply for the first year, this applies to all suppliers. Loyalty is rewarded with a substantial price hike once the 12 introductory rate expires.

My advice is to use an impartial cost comparison site to manage the switch from one supplier to another such as www.bonkers.ie
    Once you have registered with this site they will remind you to switch in a timely manner as well as indicating who to switch to for maximum savings. This saves me around €400 per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

2011 wrote: »
    The only way to avail of the most competitive rates available is to change supplier annually. The maximum discounts only apply for the first year, this applies to all suppliers. Loyalty is rewarded with a substantial price hike once the 12 introductory rate expires.

My advice is to use an impartial cost comparison site to manage the switch from one supplier to another such as www.bonkers.ie
    Once you have registered with this site they will remind you to switch in a timely manner as well as indicating who to switch to for maximum savings. This saves me around €400 per annum.

2011 do you actually religiously change all your utilities each year fair play to you? I should hang my head in shame, I have been with bord gais 12 years for both electricity and gas. I did change to their dual fuel offer recently to get the Hive but when the installer arrived he wouldnt give me it as I had the Nest fitted. I asked could I have it as a back up and he said no :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2011 do you actually religiously change all your utilities each year fair play to you?

Yes, I get a reminder email from bonkers. It takes me about 20 minutes to complete the online form. This is the most profitable 20 minutes of my year as it results in a saving of about €400.

My father tells me there is a new website that is better than bonkers as you sign up once and it makes the annual changes for you. I must find out the details.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I get a reminder email from bonkers. It takes me about 20 minutes to complete the online form. This is the most profitable 20 minutes of my year as it results in a saving of about €400.

My father tells me there is a new website that is better than bonkers as you sign up once and it makes the annual changes for you. I must find out the details.

Just signed up to bonkers ;). Thats interesting about the other site being able to automatically change you to cheapest. Like an automated utilities broker allmost, cheers for info

I'm on the hunt for a new supplier at the moment.
    You get better deals if you skip the likes of bonkers etc
    For example electric Ireland

Value Saver - 12 month contract with €175 online switching bonus.

Super Saver - 12 month contract only available through Bonkers.ie or Switcher.ie. No Switching bonus

Energia are the cheapest at the moment.
    Im getting absolutely rode with bord gais,contract up in 3 weeks thankfully!

EDIT-BIG difference in the standing charges on those two examples I posted,the "Super vaver" is 140e cheaper (Standing charge)!

• Advertisement

I'm on the hunt for a new supplier at the moment.
    You get better deals if you skip the likes of bonkers etc

I respectfully disagree. They are accredited by the CRU so if they state that a particular supplier is the cheapest for you based on the information entered they can be held accountable if they are incorrect.

The best deal is not going to be same supplier for everyone. It depends on many factors such as whether you have gas and electricity (bundles can be cheaper), if you go for paperless, if you go for prepaid etc.

Suppliers are deliberately provide misleading and confusing pricing information!

EDIT-BIG difference in the standing charges on those two examples I posted,the "Super vaver" is 140e cheaper (Standing charge)!

The standing charges are taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

The night rates are pretty simple:

Summer Time: 12:00am until 9:00am
    Winter Time: 11:00pm until 8:00am

The night rates are pretty simple:

Summer Time: 12:00am until 9:00am
    Winter Time: 11:00pm until 8:00am

I actually thought that night rate was a thing from the 80s I recall my granny having storage heaters that warmed up during the night time at the night rate and she had this big esb meter that had night rate printed in green or red on it.
    What segment of the market is Night rate aimed at? The commercial sector and big factories? I cant imagine your average family making much use of it apart from the odd dryer load in the middle of the night:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And unless you have a dryer that can work on a timer, you're beat.

We would have EV and washing machine using night rate electricity.
    And now that I am working from home, I can dry the stuff at night rate too.

Originally it was marketed at storage heating & stored water heating, but plenty would make use of it with dishwashers, dryers, washing machines if you can safely put them on at night.

The only thing I would caution is you should have your machines in an area with a smoke detector and probably invest in good quality appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

.... I cant imagine your average family making much use of it apart from the odd dryer load in the middle of the night:confused:

We have a day / night meter.

House heated with heat pump, water by immersion ( on timer )

In winter for every daytime unit we would use two night time units
    In summer for every day time unit we would use three night time units ( run washing machines etc in morning before 09:00 Hrs during summer ... )

Significant savings over 24 hour rate :)

I should do some calculations on ours, just to be sure!

The rule of thumb used to be if you could move 1.5 units from day to night you covered the increased day rate and standing charges, anything further was a saving.

However the day rates seem to be increasing every year on the day/night plans and decreasing on the 24 hour plans. With the 24hr rates being offered currently the saving have evaporated for the average user.

If you have a heatpump with a large buffer tank you shift a lot of units by heating the buffer at night rate geothermal can work out at 1/3 of the the price of natural gas doing that.

I’m doing a good bit more than that, so definitely saving. Roughly 1/3 of my electricity usage is night rate.

• Advertisement

I’m doing a good bit more than that, so definitely saving. Roughly 1/3 of my electricity usage is night rate.

Not definitely a saving. It depends on overall usage, urban vs rural and whether you are on the best rate available or not.

Even at the best rates available at the moment which are the best I've seen in 10 years there is feckall in it at the moment for low usage 24 hour is cheaper.

Day Night split 70/30 like yours urban standing charge vs 24 hr tarriffs for 10,000kwh per annum and national average compared below.

517654.png

Advertisement