Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

References in CAO?

Options
  • 21-01-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hey gang! Looking to hopefully go to CIT in September for the BSc in software development and I'm making my way through the CAO now.

In the references section, what did ye put in? If it's references related to IT then I have barely and and my two latest places of work that I declared don't do references, and will just confirm that I worked certain dates.

Very confused!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Colibri wrote: »
    Hey gang! Looking to hopefully go to CIT in September for the BSc in software development and I'm making my way through the CAO now.

In the references section, what did ye put in? If it's references related to IT then I have barely and and my two latest places of work that I declared don't do references, and will just confirm that I worked certain dates.

Very confused!

School principal and course director from Access course. Worked in a charity shop last summer. Get someone else to vouch you had a part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

School principal and course director from Access course. Worked in a charity shop last summer. Get someone else to vouch you had a part time job.

Even if the job is in retail, not related to IT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Colibri wrote: »
    Even if the job is in retail, not related to IT?

Yeah it would be nice if it was IT related.
    The real question are:
    Did he turn up every day and on time?
    Could he understand instructions and perform them in a timely manner?
    Was he a good character/team player?

You can teach skills to a monkey, hard graft and character is harder to comeby these days. Read the above questions again, if you had two places to give away to mature students, would you give one to someone who didnt fill that profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Do they usually contact the names provided for a reference? Is it the sort of thing you list but they may not contact them? You know some of these forms automatically send a reference request when you click submit. Not sure about it for CAO. Anyone know?

I'm a disabled guy with no work experience. I guess I'm ****ed then, as usual

Yes they do contact those refences. Those refences are essential in deciding your character.

Define you are "disabled"? Disabled like you are in a wheelchair and Quadraplegic? That is no excuse, there was guy on RTE last year on the program studying through the pandemic. This guy was in some horrific car accident, his life is touch and go and he pulled himself through. When he should have given up and died he pulled himself through. Then he should have just sat in the front room and spent his life watching TV. Then he started looking to rehabilitate his life. Got a computer controlled chair, things went wrong, relapse but he got up again. The guy finished up with a PhD and last we saw of him he was interviewing for some tech education outfit. That is the guy lecturers want to interview for their mature/disability/diversity spaces.

There is your local volunteer co-ordinator. They will find you something to do and they are fairly amazing people. They will find Moses in the burning bush if you ask them to. No it doesnt have to be exactly what your course director is looking for but enough to show you have the ability to learn, fit into a routine, deliver a metric result of quality within a given time frame.

Your interview will make it 98% clear if you are on the course. The interviewers are not psychologist but they do know exactly what their undergraduate should look like and what is need to complete the course.

You are just making excuses, You have lost before you reached the starting line. I recognise that is part of your disability to see the negative. I never said there is nothing wrong with you, that is all on you. You are one of those people who didnt embrace your psychologist report and have the follow through to carry out all the activities. I have a disability too ..... and you know what I got there. Grow up, eat humble pie like I did. Do volunteer work, vocational training. There are no heroes on the couch playing Xbox, but you are too proud to do that.

You know what is the definition of education? Change in behaviour. Change your outlook and behaviour and your perspective will change. People will come to help you from the most unusual backgrounds and places. You missed my point that if a student with that many disadvantages could do it, it should inspire you to be a better person.

The prison is all in your own head.

Post edited by SupaCat95 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I'm in first year of study on a course for which there was competition for places that had nothing to do with my references, namely construction and agriculture.

Based on your posting here, Your disability won't be the cause of you failing to get a place,it's your attitude that's the problem.

Edited to add, The purpose of the application process Is to find someone suitable for the course they wish to partake in, and to figure out whether you'll actually stick with it. You've already completed a degree, so you obviously have that ability.

Also assuming you know this but Springboard courses are well worth a look for someone with a degree who's looking to take their career In another direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Shows poor character if you cant find someone to say anything nice about you.

I never said disabilities dont exist. I just told you how to get a very good and easy reference.

Best of luck with your application.

The Mature Applicant Form, which is part of the CAO application process must be completed by March the 1st deadline at 5pm. This allows applicants to give lots more information which will be taken into account by the HEIs and includes the following sections – Highest Qualification to Date, Current Studies, Post-secondary Education, Second Level Education, Non-certificate courses, Employment or Voluntary Work, English Language Proficiency (if applicable), References, Statement of Interest (no more than 1,500 characters), Hobbies/Interests and Additional Information. As well as completing the Mature Applicant Form online, it is also necessary to send supporting documentation to CAO by post to arrive within in 10 days of registering online with CAO.

https://www.mycareerplan.ie/blog/applying-to-cao-as-a-mature-student

Advertisement