Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

And the chances of anything actually being done about it in reality??

AFAIK, the case is ongoing, started after Trump upset the neighbours over his harbour extension contrary to the use of Mar-a-Lago planning permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭amandstu

FrostyJack wrote: »
    He is building a wall though, they are finally right, but it is around the White House, more wall going around there today than on the boarder. Once again, imagine if Obama did that, they would have to do cpr on the likes of Laura Ingram and Limbaugh. Seen some on twitter post it is great symbolism for the end of his presidency, ranting from a bunker in the dark surround by a massive wall.

Now may be the time to repeat the Levitation of the Pentagon (the WH this time) from the Yippies in 1967.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-rag-tag-group-acid-dropping-activists-tried-levitate-pentagon-180965338/

If Trump is effectively barricaded in it would be a good way to get a communal rise on the new Oberführer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I am sure if he had, it would have being routed out long ago?

I mean Trump is living the dream an 'anti establishment' billionaire now POTUS married a supermodel 24 years his junior.

Granted, he had a comfortable upbringing. But despite all the gaffes (weird photo ops with bibles and pussy grabbing statements) along the way he has shown his innate ability to speak to the electorate. Enough to get him in power.
    He has not threatened global domination like Hitler/Stalin - like many have compared him to. Instead he favours isolationist polices for America.

I think when it comes down to it many virulent anti-Trump people still just can't believe he got elected. But if thier side were half as clued in to thier electorate as Trump is. They would have got elected instead.

Also, I think a lot of it is jealously looking at a slightly overweight awkward 70 plus fella with an odd hairstyle, but is worth billions. Married to a former supermodel. And all this on the back of not being a flowery orator at all.

If he has an ego at this stage I think he is entitled to it!

This comment shows a stunning lack of understanding of how totalitarian regimes grow. Hitler and Stalin didn't start out saying they were going to dominate the world. They favoured exactly what you say Trump favours: ultra nationalism.

Hitler went all in for MAGA type ultra- nationalism as the means of cobbling together a political movement out of a minority of dis-affected, un-involved, economically disadvantaged people in society. This group were offered a leader who espoused their inner beliefs and who found someone else to blame for all their woes and ills. In Hitler's case, the blame started out being directed at 'unter-mensch', lesser valued citizens, such as jews, physically/mentally handicapped. It harnessed tropes directed against intellectuals, learning, free press and established civil authority. It created an inner circle of the most virulent supporters of the new ideology, in many cases elevating those who were willing to use rabid and vicious tactics against other citizens to shut down free speech, free movement and sharing of thoughts and ideas. It fomented internal discord and blamed the result of that discord on its enemies in society, with bogey-men being set up as creators of anarchy as an excuse for hardline policies that ultimately created the totalitarianism of just a few years later. Kristalnacht and the Reichstag fire were caused by thugs from this new movement and blamed on social democrats and bolsheviks. These events were then used by Hitler to excuse the de-legitimisation of Parliament and removal of all political opposition.

So many parallels... For "America First" and "Make America Great Again", see "Deutchland Uber Alles"... For Brown Shirt thugs and forerunners of the Gestapo, see "Proud Boys" and the like. Your attempt at differentiating begins to blur.

Fascism doesn't start out as fascism... It becomes fascism... As leaders grow their influence over their supporters, they become ever more virulent in identifying those who would disagree with them, and take ever more strident steps to shut down opposition. In week one of Trump's Presidency, he would never have tried to do what was done in Lafayette Park this week. He would not try to do this week what he will try to do next week. This is the cancer that is Trump's America. Not something that started out as a crippling tumour, but just a few bad cells that Have grown exponentially and have taken over the body politic and society so as to destroy the healthy parts that previously existed.

Wake Up All Americans before you find yourselves living the words, wrongly attributed to Werner Hertzog, but appropriate to this time:

"Dear America: You are waking up as Germany once did, to the awareness that 1/3 of your people would kill another 1/3, while 1/3 watches."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This comment shows a stunning lack of understanding of how totalitarian regimes grow. Hitler and Stalin didn't start out saying they were going to dominate the world. They favoured exactly what you say Trump favours: ultra nationalism.

Hitler went all in for MAGA type ultra- nationalism as the means of cobbling together a political movement out of a minority of dis-affected, un-involved, economically disadvantaged people in society. This group were offered a leader who espoused their inner beliefs and who found someone else to blame for all their woes and ills. In Hitler's case, the blame started out being directed at 'unter-mensch', lesser valued citizens, such as jews, physically/mentally handicapped. It harnessed tropes directed against intellectuals, learning, free press and established civil authority. It created an inner circle of the most virulent supporters of the new ideology, in many cases elevating those who were willing to use rabid and vicious tactics against other citizens to shut down free speech, free movement and sharing of thoughts and ideas. It fomented internal discord and blamed the result of that discord on its enemies in society, with bogey-men being set up as creators of anarchy as an excuse for hardline policies that ultimately created the totalitarianism of just a few years later. Kristalnacht and the Reichstag fire were caused by thugs from this new movement and blamed on social democrats and bolsheviks. These events were then used by Hitler to excuse the de-legitimisation of Parliament and removal of all political opposition.

So many parallels... For "America First" and "Make America Great Again", see "Deutchland Uber Alles"... For Brown Shirt thugs and forerunners of the Gestapo, see "Proud Boys" and the like. Your attempt at differentiating begins to blur.

Fascism doesn't start out as fascism... It becomes fascism... As leaders grow their influence over their supporters, they become ever more virulent in identifying those who would disagree with them, and take ever more strident steps to shut down opposition. In week one of Trump's Presidency, he would never have tried to do what was done in Lafayette Park this week. He would not try to do this week what he will try to do next week. This is the cancer that is Trump's America. Not something that started out as a crippling tumour, but just a few bad cells that Have grown exponentially and have taken over the body politic and society so as to destroy the healthy parts that previously existed.

Wake Up All Americans before you find yourselves living the words, wrongly attributed to Werner Hertzog, but appropriate to this time:

"Dear America: You are waking up as Germany once did, to the awareness that 1/3 of your people would kill another 1/3, while 1/3 watches."

No hysterical over reaction from you so.... :rolleyes:

You would swear it was America's first race riot under any American President.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,592 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He was mocking Bloomberg in that clip.

IDGAF who he was mocking.

Trump is on camera mocking someone who says they can't breathe.

• Advertisement

That is just projection and a nice soundbite 'because they knew'.
    You could easily argue the opposite Trump supporters voted for Trump 'because they knew'. He aligned with what the electorate wanted.
    Similar to how Danny Healey Rae gets slagged off everywhere outside Kerry.
    He has made his views perfectly clear and got elected.

I mean Trump may act like an eejit and sound like an eejit a lot of the time but he engages with his electorate. That is what any politician does.

But you cannot deny that there has been a lot of twisting of Trumps statements for example. His comments on the wall and Mexicans. Many in the anti Trump camp say he is anti_Mexican and called them all rapists. He did not. He said that it was not the best and brightest that was getting into America. It was the murderers and rapists.

It is all about projection on who said a comment

Or what way the content was worded and projected. If he said only the Mexican murderers and rapists were getting into the U.S and not the best and brightest, would that not lead you to conclude the U.S border police and customs and Naturalization people were not doing their job?

Not under any who so closely follows the ruling style of so many of history's most notorious fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

One of the more interesting things to come out in polls for me lately was the recent one which indicated tRumps falling support from evangelicals, Catholics and from protestants. That's a big one, we could be looking at one of the biggest defeats in history if he were to lose the religious right vote. Imagine the tantrum then! I assume photo op with "a" Bible at St John's was to do with that section of his support.

Was reading about about this last night and it seems Trumps bible stunt has not gone down well with some of his base. Even Pat Robertson turned on him
    On Monday when Donald Trump raised overhead a Bible – the Sword of the Spirit, to believers – he unwittingly cleaved his loyal Christian supporters into two camps.

His most ardent evangelical supporters saw it as a blow against evil and described his walk from the White House to St John’s Episcopal church, over ground violently cleared of protesters, as a “Jericho walk”. The Rev Johnnie Moore, president of the Congress of Christian Leaders, described Trump in shepherd-like terms on Twitter: “I will never forget seeing @POTUS @realDonaldTrump slowly & in-total-command walk from the @WhiteHouse across Lafayette Square to St. John’s Church defying those who aim to derail our national healing by spreading fear, hate & anarchy. After just saying, ‘I will keep you safe.’”

But evangelicals are not monolithic: some saw the gesture as cynical, a ploy by a president whose decisions, both private and public, do not align with biblical principles. “I guess it’s a sort of Rorschach test, then,” said Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress, who is one of Trump’s most important defenders among the faithful. “You see what you expect to see.”

But that’s not true, Trump’s emerging evangelical critics say: an objective measure is contained in the very book Trump wielded. “Blessed are the peacemakers! Blessed are the merciful! It’s right there in the Sermon on the Mount,” said John Fea, a professor of American history at Messiah College. “Just read Jesus.”

Trump’s photo opportunity required police to attack and push away protesters against police brutality. He walked surrounded by key civilian and military advisers, some of whom later said they were caught unaware by the stunt and the violence that preceded it. Some evangelical leaders said they felt similarly aghast, watching the event unfold.

“Pelting people with rubber bullets and spraying them with teargas for peacefully protesting is morally wrong,” said Russell Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention. “What we need right now is moral leadership – from all of us, in the churches, in the police departments, in the courts, and in the White House. The Bible tells us so. So do our own consciences.” The day’s events left Moore “alarmed”, he said.

The staunchest of evangelicals, 90-year-old televangelist Pat Robertson, split from Trump on Tuesday. He told his television viewers of the president: “He said, ‘I’m ready to send in military troops if the nation’s governors don’t act to quell the violence that has rocked American cities.’ A matter of fact, he spoke of them as being jerks. You just don’t do that, Mr President. It isn’t cool!”

It could be far worse than uncool, politically. Trump can’t afford to lose evangelicals, even by the handful. A record 81% of white evangelicals voted for him in 2016, and he only narrowly won the presidency, sometimes by just a few thousand votes in crucial areas. His gesture with the Bible outside St John’s was meant to shore up that support, reminding his base of a tacit agreement.

“It’s a contract between him and evangelical voters,” Fea, the professor, who is a Christian, said. In exchange for their ballots, he said, Trump has packed the courts, including the supreme court, with conservative judges who agree with them on social issues. So while evangelicals lifted Trump to power by voting together, they may prove his undoing if a contingent breaks away. In which case his campaign might shudder to hear of evangelical believers like Anthony Kidd in Daphne, Alabama.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/04/trumps-bible-photo-op-splits-white-evangelicals

Given the evangelicals, prodestants and catholics are an important part of Trumps re-election chances dividing them into two camps is going to damage his prospects severely. Its not known will it stick as yet but take a look at his favourability ratings amongst these groups just over the last while, some of them have turned on Trump

Tmb-9x0Q-1024x616.png

More data here https://www.prri.org/research/president-trumps-favorability-ratings-recede-from-marchs-peak/

Call me Al wrote: »
    Yes he has his base locked in. But I wonder just how many of this base are Trumpers rather than Republicans?
    I'd love to know how many of these supporters are following party line and will switch back to party once Trump is gone. The risk here for Gop is that Trump may cannabalise their party support. And I think he's quite likely to do exactly this when he's no longer President. The risk here is for the GOP after November.
    Right now Trump won't win this election with his base alone.
    He needs to broaden his appeal to that middle ground.
    Right now he's not winning the hearts and minds of these "middle ground" people. In fact I would contend that identifying as strongly as he is with an authoritarian and militaristic ideology, and supported by right wing militias as he is, he's alienating them further into the arms of a calm soothing grandfatherly alternative in Biden.

Trump isn't going to change this hardman approach either. He's predictable wrt his attitude. People are either winners or losers, tough men or sissies (tough women being the ultimate unpalatable paradox for him). He will never tack backwards from where he is now.

That would make Trump supporters in the GOP RINO's [to use their term] taking the GOP for a ride to line their futures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The polling numbers are there to show that the majority of Americans are in favour of universal healthcare. The majority of Americans are also opposed to eliminating private healthcare, but having one doesn't mean having to have the other, hence why they support the former while opposing the latter.

Agreed, that is where I stand.

Generally when those raw universal healthcare numbers are thrown around they are to propose the Bernie model - which is what I was pushing back against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Was it an hysterical over reaction from his former secretary of defense James Mattis who yesterday also compared Trump to Hitler?

It might have helped Trump in this regard that he not directly copied slogans from the Nazi sympathizing German American Bund like 'America First' (later picked up by the pro fascist America First Committee, whose goal was to keep the US out of WWII), or paraphrasing the Nazis themselves about the "lying press" being "enemies of the people".

And if that sounds far fetched, here are some illustrations from the time, by none other than Dr Suess himself, though I'm sure he was just being hysterical at the time too!

original.jpg

Feb10-2017-Seuss.jpg

download-1.jpg

22206464-standard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's the problem, right now it looks like America doesn't have a president. He refuses to do a televised address, sends his lacky's out to do press briefings instead of doing press conferences himself and basically hides away, the only time he has really been seen is after his stormtroopers gassed protesters and he did his silly little photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I see no hidden advantage (or method in madness) in a crazed Trump end game now as there is no hope of him being reelected anyway and many of his rash, ill considered decisions will soon be reversed. Therefore I must conclude that he is either very stupid or quite irrational. Done Don.

Sasse went OFF on Graham and the committee today for "trolling for soundbytes"

https://www.mediaite.com/news/sen-sasse-calls-out-bullsht-grandstanding-at-senate-hearing-on-russia-youre-all-trolling-for-soundbites/
    Sasse added that he wanted to know when the committee was going to vote so he could skip the talking. “The reality is if we didn’t have cameras in this room, the discussion would be different,” Sasse said. “The Senate doesn’t work, it doesn’t diffuse the partisan tensions that are leading the country toward dissolution. I’m for transparency. I’m for print reporters being everywhere. I’m for audio transcripts being everywhere. But 90 percent of our committees are about trolling for soundbites. That’s what actually happens.”

Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) took issue with Sasse’s accusation, and seemed to suggest that he had been referring to committee Democrats. “I don’t think they’re trolling for soundbites. I think they’re genuinely upset with what I’m doing,” Graham said. After Sasse clarified that the criticism was “bipartisan,” Graham defended himself.

“I don’t think I’m trolling for a soundbite. I’m trying to defend what I think we need to be doing as chairman. There happens to be a TV camera. I think we’d be having the same conversation if there wasn’t a television camera,” Graham said, to which Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) chimed in, “I would.”

Watch above via C-SPAN.

After his Bible-waving exercise of his 1st amendment rights, and his bible-signing exercise last week, Don hasn't been totally abandoned by his religious right support base after all. Franklin Graham was not offended by it but by the other Christians being upset and commenting about Don using the bible and church as photo-op devices. Fox News was there as another device for Frank to express his support for his president. Does it mean the religious are foundering on the Trump and finding their soul?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-bible-photo-franklin-graham

aloyisious wrote: »
    After his Bible-waving exercise of his 1st amendment rights, and his bible-signing exercise last week, Don hasn't been totally abandoned by his religious right support base after all. Franklin Graham was not offended by it but by the other Christians being upset and commenting about Don using the bible and church as photo-op devices. Fox News was there as another device for Frank to express his support for his president. Does it mean the religious right is foundering on the Trump?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-bible-photo-franklin-graham
    Like I said, that shouldn't be surprising - they're a movement founded on segregation after all. Along with the neo nazis, you can rest assured that they are likely to be the very last group standing there by his side (unless a more effective, otherwise similar minded alternative presents itself).

I see no hidden advantage (or method in madness) in a crazed Trump end game now as there is no hope of him being reelected anyway and many of his rash, ill considered decisions will soon be reversed. Therefore I must conclude that he is either very stupid or quite irrational. Done Don.

There is no method nor grand plan, but y and large there never has been when it comes to Trump himself (as opposed to those around him). One thing to be extremely con earned about though, is that there very well may not be an election.

The elections are ran by the st tws themselves but if 2020 continues to be as unkind to Trump as it has been, I pretty much expect by now that we will see a small handful of the more sychophantic governors (DeSantis, Kemp for example) come up with some nosnense reason to cancel elections in their state, followed by Trump (or more to the point, Barr) stating that the election must now be postponed until a unspecified future date as all 50 states must be represented. And that future date will simply never happen until they feel they have it wrapped up.

There might be umpteen laws and conventions broken in doing that, but has that stopped this administration from doing of trying to circumvent alws and procedures before? They would be well aware that they would just need to muddy the waters enough to get past the date, and abstruct any investigations into it to slow down to a crawl.

Keep in mind that some in the Senate have already shown they will not vote to obstruct even when they know he was broken the law, as happened with the Ukraine case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

There is no method nor grand plan, but y and large there never has been when it comes to Trump himself (as opposed to those around him). One thing to be extremely con earned about though, is that there very well may not be an election.

The elections are ran by the st tws themselves but if 2020 continues to be as unkind to Trump as it has been, I pretty much expect by now that we will see a small handful of the more sychophantic governors (DeSantis, Kemp for example) come up with some nosnense reason to cancel elections in their state, followed by Trump (or more to the point, Barr) stating that the election must now be postponed until a unspecified future date as all 50 states must be represented. And that future date will simply never happen until they feel they have it wrapped up.

There might be umpteen laws and conventions broken in doing that, but has that stopped this administration from doing of trying to circumvent alws and procedures before? They would be well aware that they would just need to muddy the waters enough to get past the date, and abstruct any investigations into it to slow down to a crawl.

Keep in mind that some in the Senate have already shown they will not vote to obstruct even when they know he was broken the law, as happened with the Ukraine case.

I thought that that would mean that Pelosi would assume the presidency in January

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I thought that that would mean that Pelosi would assume the presidency in January

Technically yes.

But that's under a constitution and legal structure that Barr and Trump have no issue ignoring, twisting or shítting on as they see fit.

So yeah, if there's no election she assumes the office, but that's under assumption that those rules are kept to.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭moon2

Overheal wrote: »
    Naturally this old rally clip is coming back around timely for a haunt of current events. Perhaps we will see this in a large number of campaign ads.

Trump mocks police brutality victims pleading “I can’t breathe”

https://twitter.com/junotheson/status/1267325223264649216?s=21

This is a lie.

The context around this is that Trump was mocking Bloomberg for 'choking' - panicking while being unable to answer a tough question.

Very late edit: watch the last 1/3 of the clip. https://youtu.be/531VeqkY2nE . He's obnoxious as always, but not mocking dead people.

• Advertisement

moon2 wrote: »
    This is a lie.

The context around this is that Trump was mocking Bloomberg for 'choking' - panicking while being unable to answer a tough question.

Well that's unfortunate for Trump then, because it sickened me and I wouldn't have bothered fact checking it. I'm sure many are like me.

Technically yes.

But that's under a constitution and legal structure that Barr and Trump have no issue ignoring, twisting or shítting on as they see fit.

So yeah, if there's no election she assumes the office, but that's under assumption that those rules are kept to.

Given the Mad Dog's sabre rattling over a little crowd control. I guess we could see coup d'etat in the US then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

This is a lie.

Be that as it may, the fact is that the visual of Trump saying that in a mocking tone of voice is going to create such a visceral sense of revulsion that it will (hopefully) persuade a significant number of people that they need to ensure that this monstrosity is removed from office.

And before you shout foul play, this is far milder than many of the lies and obfuscations that Trump has used to further his own cause.

But I guess your argument is that it should be one rule for Trump and a different rule for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Well that's unfortunate for Trump then, because it sickened me and I wouldn't have bothered fact checking it. I'm sure many are like me.

It is what he deserves for saying something so stupid.

There is no way that won't be used in an attack ad (not by Biden directly).

They don't have to give it context, just place it in between Trump telling cops to rough up people they arrest and the Police Union of the guy who committed murder last week saying at a rally that Trump took the handcuffs off police.

If things ease off drop it the days leading up to election to get people out, as Trump will definitely try to dampen the black vote again.

Overheal wrote: »
    Not under any who so closely follows the ruling style of so many of history's most notorious fascists.

The British used to say exactly the same about De Valera when he got power with FF and Ireland was neutral in WWII 1932-1948. I remember seeing a clip where the narrator on a British newsreel called him virtually a dictator.

But it turned out he did OK. The overblown hysteria is laughable on this thread.

That's the problem, right now it looks like America doesn't have a president. He refuses to do a televised address, sends his lacky's out to do press briefings instead of doing press conferences himself and basically hides away, the only time he has really been seen is after his stormtroopers gassed protesters and he did his silly little photo op.

Ok yeah I will give you that, the way he is handling it is not the best.

But using words like stormtroopers :eek:

You would think it was Trump himself that knelt on George Floyd's neck, the way some are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Ok yeah I will give you that the way he is handling it is not the best.

But using words like stormtroopers :eek:

You would think it was Trump himself that knelt on George Floyd's neck, the way some are going on.

There are a lot of people on this thread (myself included) who can't stand Trump for far too many reasons to go into here.

But I would hope that even you would have to admit that saying that "the way he is handling it is not the best" is a contender for understatement of the year.

This is a lie.

Understood, he was not mocking a victim in this context so. Sorry I assumed the context.

But irrespective of that, this clip will burn many of his bridges among moderates and independents and it will galvanize and motivate the turnout of the left.
    abff wrote: »
    Be that as it may, the fact is that the visual of Trump saying that in a mocking tone of voice is going to create such a visceral sense of revulsion that it will (hopefully) persuade a significant number of people that they need to ensure that this monstrosity is removed from office.

And before you shout foul play, this is far milder than many of the lies and obfuscations that Trump has used to further his own cause.

But I guess your argument is that it should be one rule for Trump and a different rule for everyone else?

Not just Trump but the right in general.

I could write an entire essay about 'you didn't build that'

tldr - they took Obama wildly out of context, framed their entire national convention around the slogan "We Built It" and milked the hell out of their own confusion. The talking point still crops up now and again with no hint of irony.

The British used to say exactly the same about De Valera when he got power with FF and Ireland was neutral in WWII 1932-1948. I remember seeing a clip where the narrator on a British newsreel called him virtually a dictator.

But it turned out he did OK. The overblown hysteria is laughable on this thread.

I hope all of it is laughable. Just like I'm sure most conservatives were relieved to know they could get a full nights sleep again without worrying about Obama himself kicking the door down and taking their guns. But you won't find a single one who will tell you in hindsight that it wasn't important to speak out against gun controls, even as gun controls never emerged and with a Republican congress had no risk of ever getting an inch off the ground anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given the Mad Dog's sabre rattling over a little crowd control. I guess we could see coup d'etat in the US then.

I don't think there will be a coup, the entire premise of Mattis breaking silence and stating his opinion as forcefully as he has done was to pointedly remind Trump and his enablers, that the US armed forces will stand on the side of the constitution.

Mattis is incredibly respected still within the Pentagon and his comments were made to reflect the opinion of those still serving.

No coup, but should Trump persist with his effort to "dominate" protesters, he will seriously undermine the robustness of US national security at a time of immense crisis.

The US maxim of "Government of the People by the People and for People" will stand or fall on how this plays out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement