Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2020, 11:17   #16
davidjtaylor

There's a reason why the sign over supermarket doors has the verb 'entrance'. 8)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2020, 14:41   #17
Graces7

When I lived on a North Sea Island I was not near a supermarket for many years, literally and coming to Ireland and SHOPS! I still love shopping and miss it.It never became a chore.. But was never one to overspend.. The supervalu web site helps ! Takes me days to do to my list..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjtaylor View Post
There's a reason why the sign over supermarket doors has the verb 'entrance'. 8)
Thanks from:
16-01-2020, 11:55   #18
jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Needless to say their food costs more than mine does; mine is under 15 a week. Almost no processed, and very simple food at the low cost "own brand" end . Seasonal vegetables and almost no meat. Economy packs of eg oats.
I spend much less now than I did when I was a meat eater, when people say being vegan is expensive they are just making it expensive by sexing it up with mad ingredients (easily done!).

I'd say I spend around €15-20 a week myself, typical basket would be:
Onions €1/kg
Carrots €1/kg
Kidney Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
Chickpeas €0.35c /tin (*4 /week)
Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
Tinned Tomatoes €0.30c /tin (*2 /week)
Coconut Milk €0.80c /tin (*1 /week)
Frozen Spinach €1.50/kg
Frozen Peas €1/kg
Oats €1.80/kg
Apples €1/kg
Red lentils €2/kg
Rice €1/kg
Pasta €1/kg
Pita breads €0.45c per pack of 6
Soy Milk €0.75c /L (2* /week)

+whatever random fruit/veg is on offer
+soy sauce/sweet chilli sauce / spices as needed

Above are rough guesses but most are pretty accurate prices (Lidl). All of the above comes to <€20 and tbh I wouldn't go through all that in a week (admittedly I get some grub in work but just cereals/oats/milk and a bit of fruit usually)
(2) thanks from:
16-01-2020, 23:10   #19
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jive View Post
I spend much less now than I did when I was a meat eater, when people say being vegan is expensive they are just making it expensive by sexing it up with mad ingredients (easily done!).

I'd say I spend around €15-20 a week myself, typical basket would be:
Onions €1/kg
Carrots €1/kg
Kidney Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
Chickpeas €0.35c /tin (*4 /week)
Beans €0.25c /tin (*4 /week)
Tinned Tomatoes €0.30c /tin (*2 /week)
Coconut Milk €0.80c /tin (*1 /week)
Frozen Spinach €1.50/kg
Frozen Peas €1/kg
Oats €1.80/kg
Apples €1/kg
Red lentils €2/kg
Rice €1/kg
Pasta €1/kg
Pita breads €0.45c per pack of 6
Soy Milk €0.75c /L (2* /week)

+whatever random fruit/veg is on offer
+soy sauce/sweet chilli sauce / spices as needed

Above are rough guesses but most are pretty accurate prices (Lidl). All of the above comes to <€20 and tbh I wouldn't go through all that in a week (admittedly I get some grub in work but just cereals/oats/milk and a bit of fruit usually)

Do you make a lot of stir frys? So you don't buy any quorn or meat substitutes? What about lunches in work? Pittas?

I need to make a shopping list that I stick to with 3 or 4 luxuries or something like that. Heading in for bread midweek and coming out with two bags of random stuff needs to stop!
17-01-2020, 12:59   #20

Is home delivery an option? Good way to cut down on impulse buying.

If you're trying to cut costs, quorn and the like would be an obvious starting point. Do you enjoy cooking or is the convenience of them a big advantage for you?
Advertisement
17-01-2020, 15:37   #21
jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjjjjjjjbarry View Post
Do you make a lot of stir frys? So you don't buy any quorn or meat substitutes? What about lunches in work? Pittas?
Yeah so usually I'll have a large batch of chickpea curry or lentil dahl in the fridge/freezer. I make a stir fry maybe twice a week with red kidney beans, carrots and onions using soy sauce + sweet chilli sauce and throw a few spices in and have that with rice.

Work lunches is usually 1 of the above 3 dishes and fruit. Sometimes I'll have pitas/sandwich with hummus or smashed chickpeas or peanut butter/banana. I usually have some large batch of soup on the go from whatever veg is on special e.g. last couple of weeks was butternut squash soup and I bring that in for lunch. I tend to cook in fairly large batches other than stir fries, soup probably makes about 15 servings, curry & dahl 10 or so; these all freeze well. Sometimes I make bean burgers out of kidney beans/carrots/onions [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kIaAUsX3Xg ]

I don't usually eat quorn or meat substitutes. I have quorn or linda mccartney sausages or tofu probably twice a month, I like them I just never remember to get them / Lidl isn't stocked. Writing it down my diet seems pretty boring but I don't think about it too much really, just aim to horse in enough healthy food with minimal effort; buying whatever is on special and doing something with it keeps things varied. This week leeks are on offer so I'll make potato and leek soup, next week mushrooms are on offer so I'll make mushroom risotto for a couple of nights.
20-01-2020, 10:03   #22
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Did a 36 euro Aldi shop including shower gel etc and I made a nice stir fry yesterday and used a tin of red kidney beans from Aldi instead of quorn pieces. (how does this compare for protein??)
It was fairly nice I must say! So have another batch left for today - will steam potatoes/boil rice to go with it and have another batch in the freezer which is something I've never done.
That way I can move on and start to use my other veg (cabbage) and not end up throwing stuff out.

I still have to go to supervalu to get quorn slices for sandwiches. I can't seem to get satisfaction from sandwiches unless I have something like those slices, or vegan sausage or something replacing meat. Sometimes I just go with lettuce, tom and vegan cheese slices but never feel full enough after.
20-01-2020, 12:16   #23
JustMe,K

Not sure how they compare protein wise, but as a food the kidney beans will be better anyway as they have not been processed, there's probs around 18g protein per tin. I love batch cooking and mixing up whether its served with pasta/rice/potato etc.

Sandwiches are a weird one, I used to just eat cheese & tomato sandwiches but now I prefer a stuffed pitta or wrap. Have you tried hummus as a spread on yours to bulk it up a bit?
Thanks from:
20-01-2020, 12:30   #24
pwurple

Kidney beans are 24g of protein per 100gr. Quorn is only 11gr per 100grm. So your beans were better, more nutritional value in fibre etc also, less processed and cheaper. All round a better option

For sandwiches

Falafel wraps are pretty savage... Yums.
Hummus with roasted peppers.
Vegan cheese, vegan pesto and Mediterranean veg (sunblush toms, sliced olives, roasted courgette)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-01-2020, 12:48   #25
JustMe,K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post
Kidney beans are 24g of protein per 100gr. Quorn is only 11gr per 100grm. So your beans were better, more nutritional value in fibre etc also, less processed and cheaper. All round a better option
Is that dried or canned beans? I took my estimation based on the ones I normally buy here https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/259061829
20-01-2020, 14:08   #26
auspicious

The last seitan I made ( posted on dinner thread ) was great in sandwiches. I sliced thin strips, fried them in a little oil and smoked paprika.
Thanks from:
20-01-2020, 14:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjjjjjjjbarry View Post
Did a 36 euro Aldi shop including shower gel etc and I made a nice stir fry yesterday and used a tin of red kidney beans from Aldi instead of quorn pieces. (how does this compare for protein??)
It was fairly nice I must say! So have another batch left for today - will steam potatoes/boil rice to go with it and have another batch in the freezer which is something I've never done.
That way I can move on and start to use my other veg (cabbage) and not end up throwing stuff out.

I still have to go to supervalu to get quorn slices for sandwiches. I can't seem to get satisfaction from sandwiches unless I have something like those slices, or vegan sausage or something replacing meat. Sometimes I just go with lettuce, tom and vegan cheese slices but never feel full enough after.
You need to bump up the protein in the sandwiches. I'm a fiend for sandwiches and a typical one for me would be like hummus, something pickled, green leaves, sprouted lentils, nutritional yeast and toasted seeds.

Something else that might work better to directly replace quorn would be just getting a big block of firm tofu (if there's an Asian food shop near you you can get really good value), slice it, drain it, marinade it and bake it. You'd probably get four or five servings from a 300g block, you can freeze them or they'd keep for about 3-5 days in the fridge.

Mess around with different sandwich/lunch type things, keep the focus on getting a lot of high protein food in if you find feeling full is an issue. Seeds, nuts, lentils, beans. Toast them, mash them, sprout them, you can get plenty variety.

You might find that the need you feel for quorn and the like is mostly psychological, I'm not dissing that food it can he very handy but I think it's safe to say it's not as nutritious as a lot of less processed lunch alternatives. If you're replacing it with something like the above you shouldn't be left feeling hungry. Try and cut it out for a month and see how you get on.
Thanks from:
20-01-2020, 19:31   #28
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Yes I think it's psychological to want quorn / meat sub. I have tried chicpeas a bit before but must say the red kidney beans are really nice. Made a very simple stirfry with just carrot, onions, red pepper, garlic, red kidney beans and some chilli sauce from Aldi and it was so tasty I didn''t even think about quorn. If I mix it up with red kidney beans one week, chicpeas the next.... I want might break the cycle. I do like a traditional dinner too with simple, potatoes, veg and (meat sub). That's a hard pyscological one to break as it's the Mammy's dinner style . Dee's vegan sausages are great with this.

Will check out humous for sandwiches next week. Not something I ever thought of a sandwich filling! Thought it was a dip!
I like falaffel in small doses.... the spices get to me after a while. Have added them to salad sandwiches before and they are nice but I got sick of the cumun (i think) after a while.
20-01-2020, 19:37   #29
Jurgen Klopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaina Important Tiller View Post
If I'm being conscious of it, planning meals ahead etc. I could eat very well for a spend of below 30, I buy local/Irish where possible but I'm not bothered
Sorry to interrupt but would anyone know if there's a forum/thread for ideas like this? I'm not a vegan/veggie but was just passing sorry
Thanks from:
20-01-2020, 23:56   #30
jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Klopp View Post
Sorry to interrupt but would anyone know if there's a forum/thread for ideas like this? I'm not a vegan/veggie but was just passing sorry
If you shop for one at Lidl / Aldi and base your diet largely around Irish produce (spuds, carrots, onions, oats, apples, etc) you’d be hard pushed to spend >€30 honestly. There is a thread for what you had for dinner last night although I guess people don’t really bother throwing up the normal dinners too much!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion