Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-11-2019, 11:07   #16
JustMe,K
Registered User
 
JustMe,K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSU View Post
It’s amazing how many people overlook this with regards their “ethics” once the vegan label is slapped on it.

Similarly the single use plastic wrap doesn’t exactly inspire confidence with regards ingredients (or those concerned about CC for that matter)
I don't necessarily think its intentional for most people, especially those transitioning or trying to make 'better' choices - there's a lot to take in
JustMe,K is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-11-2019, 11:16   #17
Xcellor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSU View Post
It’s amazing how many people overlook this with regards their “ethics” once the vegan label is slapped on it.

Similarly the single use plastic wrap doesn’t exactly inspire confidence with regards ingredients (or those concerned about CC for that matter)
The galaxy vegan bar has biodegradable "plastic" . And it makes a point of highlighting this.
Xcellor is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-11-2019, 19:20   #18
Jjjjjjjjbarry
Registered User
 
Jjjjjjjjbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 295
Tired the hazelnut one. It's nice but won't be buying again at that price considering how thin it is. Seems to dissolve into a mushy sugary paste too quickly?
Definitely better vegan chocolate options out there with lesser known labels. Worth trying once anyway !
Jjjjjjjjbarry is offline  
22-11-2019, 23:47   #19
fat bloke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,040
Is all dark chocolate (i.e. non milk chocolate) not vegan? It's basically sweetened cocoa ain't it?
fat bloke is offline  
23-11-2019, 00:08   #20
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs
 
Tar.Aldarion's Avatar
sometimes it has milk etc in it anyway
Tar.Aldarion is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-11-2019, 10:46   #21
Xcellor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
Is all dark chocolate (i.e. non milk chocolate) not vegan? It's basically sweetened cocoa ain't it?
Lidt chocolate has milk fat in it. Even dark stuff.

Some chocolate is made in same facilities as milk chocolate is made so potential for cross contamination. This doesn't bother me but there are some purist types that have issues with it.

This is probably why a bar of this chocolate costs double what a standard does...
Xcellor is offline  
23-11-2019, 12:39   #22
fat bloke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellor View Post
Lidt chocolate has milk fat in it. Even dark stuff.

Some chocolate is made in same facilities as milk chocolate is made so potential for cross contamination. This doesn't bother me but there are some purist types that have issues with it.

How far you gonna take that though, you could take the Carl Sagan we are made of star stuff view of universal recycling, in which case there is no unique matter and every vegetable that exists is "contaminated" by bits of every human and every animal that ever existed.

Does extreme veganism address the fertilization of vegetable plots with animal manure? Those nutrients come directly from an animal and are absorbed by the vegetables.

(Don't mind me. I'm just being a wet Saturday afternoon crank.)
fat bloke is offline  
24-11-2019, 13:17   #23
davidjtaylor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
Does extreme veganism address the fertilization of vegetable plots with animal manure? Those nutrients come directly from an animal and are absorbed by the vegetables.
This has been an issue for me for twenty-odd years and many others for longer; we have been growing veganically all that time, thus making our acre a fertile oasis and wildlife haven amid a beef-induced desert of monochrome green nothingness.

Subscribe to the Vegan Organic Network newsletter for more information.
davidjtaylor is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-11-2019, 22:58   #24
madbev90210
Registered User
 
madbev90210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjjjjjjjbarry View Post
Tired the hazelnut one. It's nice but won't be buying again at that price considering how thin it is. Seems to dissolve into a mushy sugary paste too quickly?
Definitely better vegan chocolate options out there with lesser known labels. Worth trying once anyway !
Good to know! Personally, Vego is only one I've remotely liked so far and even that's an odd treat! Didn't like the white one at all though!
madbev90210 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2019, 10:04   #25
Jjjjjjjjbarry
Registered User
 
Jjjjjjjjbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbev90210 View Post
Good to know! Personally, Vego is only one I've remotely liked so far and even that's an odd treat! Didn't like the white one at all though!
Vego is so good!!! Love it! Galaxy isn't a patch on it and the only thing it's done has justified the price of Vego
Jjjjjjjjbarry is offline  
(3) thanks from:
25-11-2019, 20:15   #26
Worztron
Registered User
 
Worztron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,681

Yes, the Vego bar is outstanding. 🍫
Worztron is offline  
(2) thanks from:
26-11-2019, 09:20   #27
JustMe,K
Registered User
 
JustMe,K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbev90210 View Post
Good to know! Personally, Vego is only one I've remotely liked so far and even that's an odd treat! Didn't like the white one at all though!
Try Nomo, its so lovely!
JustMe,K is offline  
Thanks from:
26-11-2019, 10:09   #28
Tilikum17
Registered User
 
Tilikum17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 763
One of the wife’s friends brought over 2 of these bars yesterday.

Orange one and salted Carmel.

The orange one is lovely. Would I spend €4 on one? No.
Tilikum17 is offline  
26-11-2019, 10:16   #29
Jjjjjjjjbarry
Registered User
 
Jjjjjjjjbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe,K View Post
Try Nomo, its so lovely!
where do you get that one?

Speaking of lovely, has anyone tried the foods of athenry rocky road bar?
Jjjjjjjjbarry is offline  
26-11-2019, 10:29   #30
Xcellor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum17 View Post
One of the wife’s friends brought over 2 of these bars yesterday.

Orange one and salted Carmel.

The orange one is lovely. Would I spend €4 on one? No.
It makes you wonder who they are aiming this product at. There isn't enough vegans to make it profitable surely... Especially it most are giving out on the price.

Perhaps the hazel nut paste is expensive? Based on the packaging they are reusing the same production line as it says may contain milk so...
Xcellor is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet