Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-09-2019, 09:28   #16
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
do we actually have concrete facts on all these 'facts'? im not living in some utopia thinking all our recyclables are actually recycled, but....

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-pl...Jan2018/?amp=1
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2019, 09:41   #17
Ragnar Lothbrok

Threads like these really upset me!

I've spent years now carefully separating all my rubbish and trying to convince my son to do the same (he still fecks soft plastic wrappers into the recycling bin )

Two of the son's friends started work for a waste collection company after they left school and they used to laugh at me for going to the trouble of recycling as they assured me that not one f*ck was given by the collection company, the vast majority got thrown into the same pile.

It still makes me feel good about myself to recycle though, even when I think about the zero effect I'm having on the environment.
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2019, 09:47   #18
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
Threads like these really upset me!

I've spent years now carefully separating all my rubbish and trying to convince my son to do the same (he still fecks soft plastic wrappers into the recycling bin )

Two of the son's friends started work for a waste collection company after they left school and they used to laugh at me for going to the trouble of recycling as they assured me that not one f*ck was given by the collection company, the vast majority got thrown into the same pile.

It still makes me feel good about myself to recycle though, even when I think about the zero effect I'm having on the environment.

Paper and metals have a good turnaround. A lot of plastic just isn't recyclable or not economical.

We should by right be looking after it ourselves,not sending it abroad to end up in the environment.
27-09-2019, 12:12   #19
Padre_Pio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
Paper and metals have a good turnaround. A lot of plastic just isn't recyclable or not economical.

We should by right be looking after it ourselves,not sending it abroad to end up in the environment.
Because it's economical.
Quote:
Recycling aluminium takes 95% less energy than producing it from its raw materials. The recycling process also
generates only 5% of the greenhouse gas emissions.
https://www.european-aluminium.eu/me...lingresult.pdf

I think paper is 40% cheaper to make from recycled sources.
Thanks from:
27-09-2019, 12:39   #20
zom

We are unable to recycle gigantic wind turbines - so how could we manage millions of small wrappings???
Advertisement
27-09-2019, 12:44   #21
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zom View Post
We are unable to recycle gigantic wind turbines - so how could we manage millions of small wrappings???

Probably regulation that is preventing that from being feasible. I'm sure the friendly traveling community could recycle them quite easily but if you're depending on the turbine operator to do it all by the book it will cost billions
27-09-2019, 12:55   #22
victor8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
....It still makes me feel good about myself to recycle though, even when I think about the zero effect I'm having on the environment.
Try to reduce your usage of plastics. Like use a canvas bag for shopping, and choose food items with less plastic wrapping.
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2019, 14:38   #23
Padre_Pio

Quote:

Nothing wrong with sending things abroad.
Energy intensive metal recycling is done in Iceland, where geothermal power means electricity is almost free.

Sending it abroad to be dumped is a different story.
Until there's cash in recycling, nothing will be done.
27-09-2019, 14:43   #24
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
You mean to end up in recycling plants abroad? Or do the Chinese just dump it in the sea?
Advertisement
27-09-2019, 17:32   #25
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodegradable View Post
You mean to end up in recycling plants abroad? Or do the Chinese just dump it in the sea?

A lot of it does get incinerated here and used in cement plants apparently.
27-09-2019, 19:16   #26
salonfire

Quote:
Much of what exported from here goes to Sweden who are desperate for fuel for their incinerators to keep the lights on.
27-09-2019, 22:16   #27
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by salonfire View Post
Lol at people thinking their recycling bins are recycled.

You know what the material in recycling bins is good at? Burning.

That's why it is mostly all sent to incineration.
I wouldn't be surprised something like 20% of material in recycling bins isn't supposed to be there. But it's always difficult to get a straight answer about this sort of stuff. How did you hear that for example?
Thanks from:
27-09-2019, 22:27   #28
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre_Pio View Post
Plastic recyclers wanted milk bottle manufacturers to stop putting blue and green lids on bottles, cause they have to be manually removed, but consumers didn't like it, so it wasn't done.
If it were done for all brands of milk then the customer couldn't choose. We need a dictator to make it law!
Thanks from:
27-09-2019, 22:32   #29
Alf Veedersane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodegradable View Post
Quote:
China doesn't accept plastics from Ireland anymore.
28-09-2019, 11:52   #30
Biodegradable
Banned

Quote:
Cement plants? How does that work? Do they grind it up and mix it cement so that the end result is a 1 in 20 mixture of plastic?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion