Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-10-2019, 13:56   #31
Slaphead07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe,K View Post
I really didn't like the Lidl burgers. I can imagine they will absolutely be a winner for a lot of people though!
Yep, there's an aftertaste I don't like and I'm not fussy when it comes to veggie burgers etc.
Advertisement
05-11-2019, 19:29   #32
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just trying those Lidl burgers. They're not bad at all. Very meaty taste. Reminds of those new birds eye vegan sausages/meat balls, also made from pea protein but these Lidl ones are nicer with better texture.

Also picked up a vegan pizza while in there.
Thanks from:
13-11-2019, 10:41   #33
adelcrowsmel

Are theses Lidl burgers in the frozen or chilled section in stores?!
13-11-2019, 10:56   #34
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelcrowsmel View Post
Are theses Lidl burgers in the frozen or chilled section in stores?!
Chilled.
(2) thanks from:
13-11-2019, 12:20   #35
davidjtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaglan1 View Post
New offering from ALDI. You will find them in the freezer compartment. Four large rolls per box for €1.79 I think. Very nice imo and inexpensive.

There were loads in the local Aldi…very shortly afterwards, there were none. It's like the vegan sausage rolls offered in delis round the country: some places near me are saying they're "flying out the door". Damned meat eaters stealing our grub.
Advertisement
13-11-2019, 13:16   #36
davidjtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
Can we stop calling them burgers and sausages if they don't contain meat? Isn't that an EU rule now anyway?

It's not and it shouldn't be, though some lunatic US (where else?) state legislatures are caving in to lunatic corporate pressure to outlaw the words outside dead animal flesh.

Where's the copyright? Where's the cuts of meat called 'burger' or 'sausage' that need to be identified?

They're names for convenient shapes to deliver whatever you're selling. Coconut milk anyone? The flesh, skin and eyes of a potato? Cream sherry? Beef tomatoes?
15-11-2019, 09:10   #37
KSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFortField View Post
Here is a list of the Lidl Plant Based Quarter Pounder ingredients.

Water, Pea, Coconut oil, Onion, Cellulose, Salt, Beetroot Powder, Rape Oil, Tapioca Starch, Maltodextrin, Garlic, Caramel Sugar Syrup, Flavourings, Acidulant: Sodium Acetate, Dextrose.
If you are following veganism for health reasons then this sort of ingredients list should highlight the fact that these substitute convenience foods are as bad as the originals.

Can make very tasty bean burgers quickly and easily without half this crap in them
16-11-2019, 11:28   #38
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSU View Post
If you are following veganism for health reasons then this sort of ingredients list should highlight the fact that these substitute convenience foods are as bad as the originals.

Can make very tasty bean burgers quickly and easily without half this crap in them
As is the case with everything processed you buy in a shop. Not a vegan issue.

I'd love to make my own stuff with chickpeas etc but just don';t have time. Do you have any quick easy recipes?
Thanks from:
18-11-2019, 14:13   #39
KSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjjjjjjjbarry View Post

I'd love to make my own stuff with chickpeas etc but just don';t have time. Do you have any quick easy recipes?
Generally these are good for quick recipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZIiiBilOc

Alternatively slow cooker recipes can be solid for prep overnight. Generally batch cook Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Kale Curries in it and get enough for 3 days and takes about 15 min to prep in the evenings.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-11-2019, 20:24   #40
fat bloke

Quote:

Quick and easy is relative, but so is time. Vegan or no it is important to make time for good food. When I was a meat eater I could't understand how anyone could eat the likes of those pre-prepped burgers, or even the likes of the Big Al's frozen beef burgers, and not make their own.

Any kind of a cooked bean will give you a consistency of mince meat to form "burger" patties. After that it's what you want them to taste of - whatever herbs you like, whatever seasoning you like, slow fry some diced onion and garlic and add that to the bean mix.
The good news is that they freeze really well so one evening will give you a fine batch of burgers for the freezer. -I find a common mistake is to make them too big and then they take bloody forever to defrost/cook . Make them nice and thin and double up if you like.

You can always breadcrumb them and shallow fry them for the crispy effect.

-Another thing is - at the end of the day your beef burger tastes of the trimmings - lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, ketchup. If you get some nice tofu, fry a couple of slices of it and put that between the burger buns where the meat would be and it's bloody delicious, and quick and simple!

Edit - a portobello mushroom also makes a fantastic "meaty" burger!

Last edited by fat bloke; 23-11-2019 at 20:28.
(4) thanks from:
26-11-2019, 14:12   #41
ednwireland

Quote:

tinned beans are your friend

kidney beans, chopped oniion, breadcrumbs, coriander salt pepper throw in some yeast flakes into a food processor whizz until a workable consistency add liquid (slowly not too much) make into patties coat in panko breadcrumbs - shallow fry

actually havent made those for ages ! replace beans with any ones you like.
Thanks from:
31-12-2019, 14:18   #42
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Staying on Aldi, has anyone tried their new vegan pizza range? 1.99 each and choice of bacon and mushroom, bbq jackfruit or spicey cauliflower.

Last edited by Jjjjjjjjbarry; 01-01-2020 at 15:39.
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2020, 22:50   #43
TheFortField

My Dad cooked Clonakilty Veggie Pudding for me at the weekend - I thought it was very tasty and it’s gluten free too.

https://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.i...SAAEgIXJvD_BwE
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2020, 18:11   #44
davidjtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFortField View Post
My Dad cooked Clonakilty Veggie Pudding for me at the weekend - I thought it was very tasty and it’s gluten free too.

https://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.i...SAAEgIXJvD_BwE

Yus, very good.
27-02-2020, 21:28   #45
Jjjjjjjjbarry

Clonakilty pudding and Denny sausages. All we're really missing now is some eggs and we'll be in business

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion