Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-08-2019, 12:48   #16
RINO87

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead_eire View Post
VW T4 and T5 parts can still be bought at a main dealer. The VW community is huge and the availability of aftermarket parts is huge.

@ Amstel: Are you too old for a camper ? Absolutely not ! They are a fantastic way to travel, be it around Ireland or abroad. Mazda Bongo and VW Transporter sized campervans have the added benefit of being able to book them on as a car on the ferry, therefore cheaper.
I would say, which ever make you go for, buy the best that you can afford.
Hi sorry hi-jacking the thread here! I did not know this! Is this also true for factory built high tops? 92 VW westfailia for example. Not my van, but I do have use of it and had not even considered ferry due to costs, thanks.
Advertisement
14-08-2019, 22:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINO87 View Post
Hi sorry hi-jacking the thread here! I did not know this! Is this also true for factory built high tops? 92 VW westfailia for example. Not my van, but I do have use of it and had not even considered ferry due to costs, thanks.
I doubt the high top would qualify as Stena mention a height of 2m. Mine is a standard low roof T5.
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 10:23   #18
spaceHopper

Check the ferry prices they drop like a stone in September and it's still nice in France but I'd recommend early September as it's end of season if France and come the end of the month a lot of places are closed
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2019, 00:07   #19
Itineoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceHopper View Post
Check the ferry prices they drop like a stone in September and it's still nice in France but I'd recommend early September as it's end of season if France and come the end of the month a lot of places are closed
As an aside, We once did a late October trip with our then young children about ten years ago to France taking the last of the last of the season's ferries home at Halloween. It was one of the nicest ever. Waking up in blue sky frosty mornings and crunching through ice in a quiet and echoing square in Monpazier. Eight year old getting to make a drawing and have it put up on the wall of the restaurant next to the original of the artist she had seen and copied it from. The Dordogne and Lascaux caves without any need to book tickets beforehand.
Halloween with trick and treaters at nightfall in Dinan. Clear and crisp weather, lovely food, tourists ( apart from us ) all gone home.
We've been to France a lot of times with the van and have traveled extensively but this remains as one of my favourite trips.

Edit: Forgot why I replied in the first place - the ferry was about one third of the summer fare..
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2019, 10:51   #20

July and August are peak season as regards sailing to France. Hence the price dropping in September. Campsite site discount cards, such as ACSI, are usually void between July and August also.
Advertisement
17-08-2019, 12:43   #21
alias no.9

Its not a given that a camper will cost more than a car on a ferry, particularly to France.

Just back from a trip across in a 6 birth coach built motorhome in high season and I doubt it'd have been any cheaper in a car based on previous years where we travelled by car.

The year we got the camper, I had the ferry booked with the car before buying the camper and when I changed the vehicle to the camper, I got a partial refund, never quite figured out how that happened, but it reinforces the point that there isn't necessarily an extra premium on the camper.

Back to the options for the OP, if considering a conversion, a passenger variant of the van will have most likely payed significant VRT already which will be counted against any liability upon changing the registration to a camper.

A vehicle that hasn't been mentioned is the Hyundai Montana or i800, the passenger version of the H100 van which is similar size to the T4/T5 transporter. There are pop tops available and I presume some off the shelf conversion kits, you could end up with a much fresher van at your budget.
17-08-2019, 12:51   #22
Bigus

Spend a few quid renting a camper first , that’ll bring you up to speed very quickly, and in all likelihood you’ll save back the rental free through what you learn , by buying better.
17-08-2019, 16:31   #23
CelticRambler

If you're planning to travel in continental Europe, be careful about buying "old but reliable". There is an ever-growing number of towns and cities across western Europe where pollution controls/low emission zones mean that you won't be able to park anywhere near the centre, regardless of how compact the 'van is, and even if you can, chances are you'll need a windscreen sticker just to enter the central zone. You'll also need to make sure you keep under 3.5t to avoid pay-as-you-go pollution charges on motorways in central Europe.
17-08-2019, 17:24   #24

Cities are the last place I'd want to be when abroad in the camper.
Advertisement
17-08-2019, 17:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias no.9 View Post
Its not a given that a camper will cost more than a car on a ferry, particularly to France.

Just back from a trip across in a 6 birth coach built motorhome in high season and I doubt it'd have been any cheaper in a car based on previous years where we travelled by car.

The year we got the camper, I had the ferry booked with the car before buying the camper and when I changed the vehicle to the camper, I got a partial refund, never quite figured out how that happened, but it reinforces the point that there isn't necessarily an extra premium on the camper.

Back to the options for the OP, if considering a conversion, a passenger variant of the van will have most likely payed significant VRT already which will be counted against any liability upon changing the registration to a camper.

A vehicle that hasn't been mentioned is the Hyundai Montana or i800, the passenger version of the H100 van which is similar size to the T4/T5 transporter. There are pop tops available and I presume some off the shelf conversion kits, you could end up with a much fresher van at your budget.
Not a huge difference: €578 for a car going this Sept and €648 for a motorhome (up to 7m) - Brittany Ferries, Cork - Roscoff for September.
17-08-2019, 18:00   #26
CelticRambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead_eire View Post
Cities are the last place I'd want to be when abroad in the camper.
Nothing better than knowing exactly what standard of accommodation you're going to get when doing a bit of urban sightseeing! And knowing that you'll be able to make tea/have breakfast no matter what time you check in or out. The best combination of site and sights I've ever had was in Antwerp: riverside location, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Alas, that's one example that's now closed off to me, as the relevant carpark is 2km inside the LEZ.
Thanks from:
17-08-2019, 18:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticRambler View Post
Nothing better than knowing exactly what standard of accommodation you're going to get when doing a bit of urban sightseeing! And knowing that you'll be able to make tea/have breakfast no matter what time you check in or out. The best combination of site and sights I've ever had was in Antwerp: riverside location, 5 minutes walk from the city centre. Alas, that's one example that's now closed off to me, as the relevant carpark is 2km inside the LEZ.
Antwerp ! The first time I stayed was years back with the motorbike and tent. And it was indeed a riverside campsite too ! I have stayed there in recent years too (even last January) - I'll never forget the city centre pub: Bier Central. They have a massive selection of local beers and it would blow the head off you !!

With regards to cities, I try to stay outside and get public transport in. We done that in Lille at Christmas as it worked out great.
21-03-2020, 20:28   #28
Amstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead_eire
Mine is a standard low roof T5.
Hi is the standard T5 high enough to get camper insurance
Thanks from:
23-03-2020, 12:41   #29
spaceHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
Hi is the standard T5 high enough to get camper insurance
If it is a proper camper and you have a car in the road then contact Dolmen insurance and ask them have photos ready to send. It also have to be a camper on the log book
23-03-2020, 12:55   #30
Amstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceHopper
If it is a proper camper
Stupid question probably but I'm new to this. How do you tell if it's a proper camper ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion