Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English County Cricket thread.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Just been informed by our lass that she's off to a wedding fair Sunday and going out with her bridesmaids Saturday. OR the other way around, can't remember. Either way, If that's not an invitation to binge on t20 finals day, I don't know what is. Genuinely rubbing my hands in excitement. Shame Yorkshire didn't make it. Bigger shame there isn't a test match on as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

The Lankies have just been stuffed again in the second of this season's Roses matches. The Yorkies may be poor, but thankfully we're not as bad as that hapless shower from across the Pennines!

(That said, they'll probably win the T20 tournament on Saturday!) :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christ! When I looked the other day Lancashire looked well on top. Great and pleasant surprise to see that result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Turnipman wrote: »

The Lankies have just been stuffed again in the second of this season's Roses matches. The Yorkies may be poor, but thankfully we're not as bad as that hapless shower from across the Pennines!

(That said, they'll probably win the T20 tournament on Saturday!)

Oh dear! :D

Turnipman wrote: »
    Oh dear! :D

I really enjoyed Saturday, sat down just after 11 and sipped away at a few cans whilst watching the finals day unfold. Some right funny scenes as well, between the costumes, Luke Wright chucking the inflatable melon back into the crowd, Bumble's singing, Nasser (I think?) confidently describing a shot as a 4, that barely made it past mid off. To top it all off I had 6 quid on Worcs to win at 7/2 (my punting days are being hampered by wedding bills).

Glad I haven't backed them today, as they seem to be still in t20 mode. Jamie Porter has ripped through their top order, they were 20/4 last I checked.

• Advertisement

I have the highlights of all 4 days of Surrey/Essex recorded, sounds like Day 4 was an absolute cracker. Looking forward to watching that tonight, though I'll probably just do day 1 & 4 as won't have time before Rhinos match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Jason Holder apparently signed for Northants for a couple of months, before the Windies play Ireland. Two County Championship and five One Dayers according to reports.

I'm a bit old fashioned and liked it when the overseas player would be there for the whole season, but when you're picking current capped players that's what you get.

The Aussie Trent Copeland was our best overseas player for decades and he spent the whole season at Northants and fully invested in the team, rather than what are in effect special guest stars.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

The Aussie Trent Copeland was our best overseas player for decades and he spent the whole season at Northants and fully invested in the team, rather than what are in effect special guest stars.

He previously spent a year in Dublin, playing for Railway Union in Division 2 of the Leinster Senior League in 2008.

nompere wrote: »
    He previously spent a year in Dublin, playing for Railway Union in Division 2 of the Leinster Senior League in 2008.

Great bloke when he was at Northants, pretty much the whole reason we got promoted in 2013, and the fact we couldn't resign him the following year meant we came straight back down.

Jason Holder played well at Northants, would love to think he'll be back. Batting is decent this year at the County but the bowling attack is woeful, as toothless as I've seen in years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Turgid fare at Edgbaston yesterday, the home team batted all day (93 overs) for a grand total of 181 - 3. A run rate (1.96 rpo) that Geoffrey Boycott would warmly applaud!

With the England - India game among the four CWC games being played there this month, hopefully the wickets will be a bit more conducive to attractive batting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Watched a bit of T20 cricket last night on Sky and it looks like England may have another star upcoming in Tom Banton. He was absolutely quality and had all the shots in the book. One to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

Was supposed to go to Old Trafford on Friday but then got an invite to a wedding that I wouldn’t miss. Game rained off so don’t feel so bad.

Northants Steelbacks out of the traps well this year in the T20 Two wins from two Stirling has contributed with bat and ball so far. Long may it continue. Hit and miss in the longer form of the game but got our first win the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

A great start for Gareth Delaney on his Leicester T20 debut V Durham.

68 from 45 balls with 7x4 and 3x6. Second man out at 106/2.

Update - and he took a wicket too in a comfortable Leicestershire win. 1/23 from 3 overs.

True Northamptonshire legend David Capel has passed away, far too young, at 57. If you ever wanted to hear a Northampton accent, Capel was your man, born and bred in the town. My parents rented his house for 6 months during the winter, way back in the day while he was still playing and out in Australia playing club cricket. Such a nice bloke and we were lucky to have him at Northants for his entire career. We loved him, one of our own. RIP.

True Northamptonshire legend David Capel has passed away, far too young, at 57. If you ever wanted to hear a Northampton accent, Capel was your man, born and bred in the town. My parents rented his house for 6 months during the winter, way back in the day while he was still playing and out in Australia playing club cricket. Such a nice bloke and we were lucky to have him at Northants for his entire career. We loved him, one of our own. RIP.

I was very surprised to hear the sad news during last night's T20 game especially because I hadn't heard that he was ill. RIP DC.

I assume that there'll be a minute's silence before this evening's game on Sky.

Athers on Northants in today's Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/look-to-northamptonshire-for-how-successful-a-small-county-can-be-03j82rqjr

I was very surprised to hear the sad news during last night's T20 game especially because I hadn't heard that he was ill. RIP DC.

I assume that there'll be a minute's silence before this evening's game on Sky.

Athers on Northants in today's Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/look-to-northamptonshire-for-how-successful-a-small-county-can-be-03j82rqjr

Nice article that, we're definitely a County the powers that be couldn't care less about.

Four from four now in the T20.
    https://twitter.com/NorthantsCCC/status/1301820675078918145?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Was very sad news about David Capel, I remember him well running in to bowl with his mullet blowing in the breeze, talented player and Northamptonshire hero. They had a good one day side a few years ago, Wayne Larkins was there, Allan Lamb, the openers Fordham and Felton, Kevin Curran, and a tall bloke called Curtley, who could bowl a bit. Ian Bell is retiring at the end of the season, time has caught up with him, I remember him getting 199 against South Africa, and being dismissed by Paul Harris. One of his mates from the same club was watching, and had to go to a business meeting when he was nearing 200, and sent him a message which read congratulations on the double century. Stylish player, always enjoyed watching him.

I liked Bell too, pretty reliable for England.

Northants have had a squad member test positive for covid 19, so the match against Gloucestershire has been abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I liked Bell too, pretty reliable for England.

Northants have had a squad member test positive for covid 19, so the match against Gloucestershire has been abandoned.
    Was it a slip fielder, the only thing he caught all year, the old jokes are the best :)

Normal service resumed with the Steelbacks :pac:, after winning the first four they've lost the last three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Would be great to see one of the teams with Irish players get through and give them that big game feeling. One more good knock from each of them would also be nice and maybe encourage a few counties to take on Irish players as a full time overseas player next season. They are upping the amount of overseas players to two so hopefully a few Irish lads might be in the mix.

The Irish domestic setup just doesn't cut it atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Balbirnie finished with 99* of 54 today. Great knock

Yay! Thanks to Gloucestershire winning, and an excellent win against Warwickshire or whatever they call themselves this week, the Steelbacks have made it to the knockout round of the T20.

Yay! Thanks to Gloucestershire winning, and an excellent win against Warwickshire or whatever they call themselves this week, the Steelbacks have made it to the knockout round of the T20.

It's very annoying that Sky Sports are broadcasting only one of the four Quarter Finals. They could have managed two - or could even have staggered them over two days.

Essex won the County Championship, well the Bob Willis trophy this year.

Yeah, sky sports are annoying in their coverage of a lot of things. They have more than enough channels with feck all on to put the other games on.

Yeah, sky sports are annoying in their coverage of a lot of things. They have more than enough channels with feck all on to put the other games on.

Agreed. Problem is that they're covering both the IPL and the womens' ODI series - although they could have scrapped coverage of the last ODI seeing as it's academic now that England are 3 - 0 up.

Northants season ends with a whimper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Northants season ends with a whimper.
    Same as Kent then. I was watching that game against Surrey. Bell-Drummond and Crawley have been great viewing lately but both went early and so did Denly and Billings.

Gareth Delany on the tele now for Leicestershire.

Advertisement