Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Woman's World Cup (London)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Strazdas wrote: »
    Definitely in terms of outdoor field sports anyway.....even no under 20/21 team in soccer or rugby has ever done it, never mind the seniors
    Just discussing that in the After Hours thread; the rugby crowd did it alright apparently. Football only got to the semis

Great achievements all of course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

There is no way RTE are not televising Ireland live in a World Cup final, whatever has to be ditched will be ditched :)

Dublin gaa match has nothing on it. In fairness the hurling should be over. Hopefully no extra time

Collins said it's on rte2 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Peter Collins saying the final will be shown live on rte 2. So what's getting bumped then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Definitely in terms of outdoor field sports anyway.....even no under 20/21 team in soccer or rugby has ever done it, never mind the seniors

Under 20 soccer were in a world semi in Malaysia I recall and didn’t BOD win a rugby World Cup?

But in senior terms this is certainly the apex. Best team achievement since World Cup 90 anyway, and a rival for that I would say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Peter Collins saying the final will be shown live on rte 2. So what's getting bumped then ?

European championships coverage was to come around 4, delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    European championships coverage was to come around 4, delighted.

Yeah easy call it seems. If RTÉ didn't show it they'd be crucified.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Here's the winning Irish penalty on the official WC Twitter page with commentary from BT Sport, should work for anyone who is blocked by RTE (great penalty too!)

https://twitter.com/FIH_Hockey/status/1025753754782466049

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Bandwagoner aswell here! No idea of the laws of the game but watched semi today - well done Ireland!

Under 20 soccer were in a world semi in Malaysia I recall and didn’t BOD win a rugby World Cup?

But in senior terms this is certainly the apex. Best team achievement since World Cup 90 anyway, and a rival for that I would say.

I remember Damien Duff and Robbie Keane on the under 20 team (managed by Brian Kerr).....they won the bronze medal that year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My heart sank when the Spanish player scored that wonderful flicked goal in the shootout, the shootout was then brilliantly turned around by Ireland.

• Advertisement

I remember Damien Duff and Robbie Keane on the under 20 team (managed by Brian Kerr).....they won the bronze medal that year
    Glen Crowe was up front, not Keane. He was on the U-18 team that won the European Championship the following year.

I think Crowe and Duff were the only two from the U-20 team to get senior caps, which made it an even more amazing achievement. Kind of comparable to getting to the hockey World Cup final with amateur players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Here's the winning Irish penalty on the official WC Twitter page with commentary from BT Sport, should work for anyone who is blocked by RTE (great penalty too!)

Worked for me in Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Thanks!

cdeb wrote: »
    Glen Crowe was up front, not Keane. He was on the U-18 team that won the European Championship the following year.

I think Crowe and Duff were the only two from the U-20 team to get senior caps, which made it an even more amazing achievement. Kind of comparable to getting to the hockey World Cup final with amateur players.

Oh yes, I was thinking of Keane being on the under 18 team that won in the Euros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Another bandwagoner here few of us in the house watching it shouting at the tv like we wer experts anybody would think we we watching hurling shouting pull on it :)

Seriously though fair play to them great achievement from them no matter what tomorrow they have done amazing and hopefully they get a big home coming

sjb25 wrote: »
    Another bandwagoner here few of us in the house watching it shouting at the tv like we wer experts anybody would think we we watching hurling shouting pull on it :)

Seriously though fair play to them great achievement from them no matter what tomorrow they have done amazing and hopefully they get a big home coming

Great for women's sport too. Men's sports probably don't need any boost in terms of participation but it's very welcome for the women's side of things in terms of role models for girls (hopefully the women's soccer team can make the breakthrough sometime soon too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Great for women's sport too. Men's sports probably don't need any boost in terms of participation but it's very welcome for the women's side of things in terms of role models for girls (hopefully the women's soccer team can make the breakthrough sometime soon too).

Unbelievable achievement go the women brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The after hours thread is a night mare full of bitterness

Video highlights should appear here

https://www.youtube.com/user/fihockey/videos

The after hours thread is a night mare full of bitterness
    What are you on about?

There's a mix of people being genuinely delighted about the achievement, coupled with many saying the don't know the first thing about hockey and are quite open about jumping on a bandwagon.

There's no bitterness anywhere to be seen ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

anywhere that I can watch a repeat of the penalty shoot out?

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    What are you on about?

There's a mix of people being genuinely delighted about the achievement, coupled with many saying the don't know the first thing about hockey and are quite open about jumping on a bandwagon.

There's no bitterness anywhere to be seen ffs.

Read the whole thread

There's a small bit about the demographics who plays it. If that's what you think is a thread "full of bitterness", I think you need a reality check on the meaning of those words.

Anyways, this isn't my forum as such, so I'll drop out here and not take away from an amazing achievement.

Absolutely. No shortage of them either with Katie, Sarah Healy and other under age athletes and the incredible Rachel Blackmore currently leading the Irish jump jockeys championship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Big leap to take, but if the Irish team were to lift the World Cup trophy tomorrow, as well as being a wonderful achievement in its own right, would that also automatically qualify them for the 2020 Olympics or how does that work?

A wee bit of reading material ahead of tomorrow

http://www.fih.ch/media/12236728/fih...ockey-2017.pdf

12 Penalties

12.1 Advantage: a penalty is awarded only when a player or team has been disadvantaged by an opponent breaking the Rules.

12.2 A free hit is awarded to the opposing team:
    a for an offence by any player between the 23 metres areas
    b for an offence by an attacker within the 23 metres area their opponents are defending
    c for an unintentional offence by a defender outside the

12.3 A penalty corner is awarded:
    a for an offence by a defender in the circle which does not prevent the probable scoring of a goal
    b for an intentional offence in the circle by a defender against an opponent who does not have possession of the ball or an opportunity to play the ball
    c for an intentional offence by a defender outside the circle but within the 23 metres area they are defending
    d for intentionally playing the ball over the back-line by a defender Goalkeepers or players with goalkeeping privileges are permitted to deflect the ball with their stick, protective equipment or any part of their body in any direction including over the back-line.
    e when the ball becomes lodged in a player’s clothing or equipment while in the circle they are defending.

12.4 A penalty stroke is awarded:
    a for an offence by a defender in the circle which prevents the probable scoring of a goal
    b for an intentional offence in the circle by a defender against an opponent who has possession of the ball or an opportunity to play the ball

12.5 If there is another offence or misconduct before the awarded penalty has been taken:
    a a more severe penalty may be awarded
    b a personal penalty may be awarded
    c the penalty may be reversed if the subsequent offence was committed by the team first awarded the penalty

Big leap to take, but if the Irish team were to lift the World Cup trophy tomorrow, as well as being a wonderful achievement in its own right, would that also automatically qualify them for the 2020 Olympics or how does that work?

No I don’t believe it does, at least not from what I read anyway. Qualification is by euro championship or upcoming Olympic qualifier tournament.

No Olympic qualification from each continent is based on their own games so European Championship is next summer in Belgium. Only each winner will qualify for the Olympics

Teams in it are
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    England
    Germany
    Spain
    Ireland
    Belarus
    Russia

There will also be a 2nd comp but teams to be determined for that

Oh getting tense 7 mins to go and it is 1-1 in the 2nd semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The IRFU should bring a couple of these players over to the WC next year to motivate the rugby players and let them know what it's like to go deep into a tournment.

• Advertisement

Another run in shoot out.

Advertisement