Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2019, 02:41   #46
beveragelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Lad View Post
My Oil tank is a lot closer to a stream !

So was € 3437 inc fitting ?

Yes we're a bit snookered because while the oil boiler might be efficient enough the rest of the plumbing is not and is old.

Keep this thread updated asap, I am interested, would be nice to get off oil all the same even if I keep some for the kitchen stove for now.
The €3437 includes fitting. That was the scrappage deal they offered if you had a ten-year-old WP boiler.
The manual is pretty poor. That's why I'm not in bed. I'm not certain if it's running according to the timer in the house or according to its own notions. None of the words in the manual are the words that appear in the settings display. It definitely says I should run in on a timer but it doesn't say how to do that and it's not common-sense obvious on the display. It's possible I'm missing something, I'll have another serious look at it in the morning.
Advertisement
02-06-2019, 02:43   #47
Mad_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by beveragelady View Post
The €3437 includes fitting. That was the scrappage deal they offered if you had a ten-year-old WP boiler.
The manual is pretty poor. That's why I'm not in bed. I'm not certain if it's running according to the timer in the house or according to its own notions. None of the words in the manual are the words that appear in the settings display. It definitely says I should run in on a timer but it doesn't say how to do that and it's not common-sense obvious on the display. It's possible I'm missing something, I'll have another serious look at it in the morning.
Yeah good luck with that !
02-06-2019, 17:16   #48
GaGa21

We are looking at the MCZ wood pellet boiler. We were looking at the 24kw but were told 16kw is size enough for our number of rads. We are looking at the Club model which is also fully self clean.
I am a bit wary as I've heard complaints of other brand boilers being noisy.
Have been told this brand is the best and only one supplier in Ireland.
But I'm aware of it maybe being just a sales pitch too.
Anyone have feedback on this make and model?
02-06-2019, 17:36   #49
Shefwedfan

My plan long term is to remove the large solid fuel stove in the house, the connection for it into the heating just connect them into a A2W heat pump.....I just need to find the money :-)

I could get the A2W fairly cheap but the install is huge money!!
04-06-2019, 23:49   #50
Mad_Lad

@beveragelady , how are you getting on with the heating ?
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 00:21   #51
beveragelady

Quote:
@beveragelady , how are you getting on with the heating ?
I messed about with it for a bit and I think it's doing what I want it to do now. I really don't now for certain. I've searched online but I can't find any other version of the instructions. There are a few vital things missing, such as the settings, what the icons on the display mean, and things like running the auger to fill the chamber. I'll probably end up ringing the chap who sold it to me and asking some stupid questions.

It's hard to tell for certain but I seem to be getting through a fraction of the pellets compared to the old boiler. I won't really know until I get a delivery and I see how long 3 tonnes last me. The Baxi would burn about 4 buckets of pellets a day, My guess is that this one is using less than half of that, I think probably a lot less. I have to bear in mind though that it's (supposed to be) June so it's bound to be less pellet-hungry.
05-06-2019, 00:28   #52
Mad_Lad

Quote:
I messed about with it for a bit and I think it's doing what I want it to do now. I really don't now for certain. I've searched online but I can't find any other version of the instructions. There are a few vital things missing, such as the settings, what the icons on the display mean, and things like running the auger to fill the chamber. I'll probably end up ringing the chap who sold it to me and asking some stupid questions.

It's hard to tell for certain but I seem to be getting through a fraction of the pellets compared to the old boiler. I won't really know until I get a delivery and I see how long 3 tonnes last me. The Baxi would burn about 4 buckets of pellets a day, My guess is that this one is using less than half of that, I think probably a lot less. I have to bear in mind though that it's (supposed to be) June so it's bound to be less pellet-hungry.
Shouldn't the installer have gone through all the settings with you ?

Definitely call them up. You paid good money.

I didn't realise your Baxi was a pellet boiler.
05-06-2019, 00:55   #53
beveragelady

The last bit of installation happened just as I was leaving for work. In fairness he tried to explain things but I only gave him time to talk me through emptying the ashpan. I foolishly assumed I'd be able to figure it out from the instruction manual.

The old boiler was a Baxi multiheat. Pleasingly mechanical to deal with. A pain in the arse to clean, impossible to find somebody to service it, and probably wildly inefficient. It was here when I bought the house so it was probably about 15 years old. The instructions were mostly in Dutch with hand-written English annotations.
Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 01:03   #54
Mad_Lad

Quote:
The last bit of installation happened just as I was leaving for work. In fairness he tried to explain things but I only gave him time to talk me through emptying the ashpan. I foolishly assumed I'd be able to figure it out from the instruction manual.

The old boiler was a Baxi multiheat. Pleasingly mechanical to deal with. A pain in the arse to clean, impossible to find somebody to service it, and probably wildly inefficient. It was here when I bought the house so it was probably about 15 years old. The instructions were mostly in Dutch with hand-written English annotations.
No harm to contact the installer again, I'm sure he won't mind calling around for a cuppa.
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 15:26   #55
NIMAN

Only change for me since I last posted was that we pulled out the multi-fuel stove from the living room, as it was just too dirty and the room was getting a revamp.

We decided to just go with oil for the last winter, although the OH is still keen to get a slack burner in the garage. I am not so keen, as I think there is no future in coal, and to invest €5k in it now is a bad idea (and yes I still drive an EV).

We found the oil more expensive, as we used to burn a combination of local turf and coal. In fact probably a good bit more expensive, but you have to accept this if you want to get away from dragging big buckets of coals and turf from your garage to your living room constantly. The ambient heat is gone now, and replaced with a bit of "I'm cold, stick on the heating" or "jez I'm roasted, turn off that heating for a while". Plus obviously the living room misses that direct heat from the stove itself.

Still undecided about what the future holds. I think it'll be oil again next winter, but not really sure what my options are if a slack boiler is excluded. I asked about a A2W heat pump, and it does appear to be an option but an expensive one.
05-06-2019, 15:49   #56
Mad_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Only change for me since I last posted was that we pulled out the multi-fuel stove from the living room, as it was just too dirty and the room was getting a revamp.

We decided to just go with oil for the last winter, although the OH is still keen to get a slack burner in the garage. I am not so keen, as I think there is no future in coal, and to invest €5k in it now is a bad idea (and yes I still drive an EV).

We found the oil more expensive, as we used to burn a combination of local turf and coal. In fact probably a good bit more expensive, but you have to accept this if you want to get away from dragging big buckets of coals and turf from your garage to your living room constantly. The ambient heat is gone now, and replaced with a bit of "I'm cold, stick on the heating" or "jez I'm roasted, turn off that heating for a while". Plus obviously the living room misses that direct heat from the stove itself.

Still undecided about what the future holds. I think it'll be oil again next winter, but not really sure what my options are if a slack boiler is excluded. I asked about a A2W heat pump, and it does appear to be an option but an expensive one.
No definitely stay away from coal if you can, unless it's smokeless which from talking to people who burn it says it's far better than the likes of Polish coal.

But the work involved is a lot, Chimney cleaning, soot ash dust in the house.

A2W is expensive but you can get night rate electricity and for 12 hrs per day it will run at half the cost. Worth taking a look.

I'm getting a company form Galway to come out and take a look at our setup , it will be water to water, the most efficient, they can use the well depending on water quality. That would be amazing but depending on cost whether we go down that road or not.

Our existing heating needs a complete revamp which is going to add significant cost.

I'm astonished that coal is much cheaper than bottled gas which is the cleanest source of fossil fuel, bottled gas can cost up to 30 C/Kwh, coal 5-8 cent and oil 6-8 cent. Of course this also depends on the efficiency of how you burn it.
Thanks from:
13-09-2019, 14:37   #57
Jimmywangyang

Hi @beveragelady,
Just wondering how you are getting on with the boiler at this point?

More or less settled on the pellet boiler i want, just looking for some more feedback
13-09-2019, 14:42   #58
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmywangyang View Post
Hi @beveragelady,
Just wondering how you are getting on with the boiler at this point?

More or less settled on the pellet boiler i want, just looking for some more feedback

Feedback on pellet stoves is hard to find. I am looking to buy the room heater, about to pull the trigger on it but was trying to find anyone with them.....very very hard
Thanks from:
13-09-2019, 15:04   #59
Mad_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
Feedback on pellet stoves is hard to find. I am looking to buy the room heater, about to pull the trigger on it but was trying to find anyone with them.....very very hard
I want to change the open gas fire to Pellet, free standing or insert not sure yet, I'd love to open the chimney.

However, and I'm thinking out loud here, with the recent bad press about pellet stoves in Europe especially in larger towns and cities, pellet stoves are , and for good reason, seen less and less environmentally friendly both due to the emissions and where the pellets come from so, I am wondering how long will it be before restrictions are placed on these pellets and stoves also ? A modern Diesel is said to emit less PM 2.5 than pellet stoves, diesels have emissions control systems , pellet stoves do not.

Anyway, I live in the sticks so it's not a big deal for me but I do wonder what the future holds for pellets and pellet stoves ?

I read where pm 2.5 emitted from Pellet burning can be up to 15 times higher than from a modern condenser oil boiler, imagine that ?
13-09-2019, 15:08   #60
Shefwedfan

Quote:
I want to change the open gas fire to Pellet, free standing or insert not sure yet, I'd love to open the chimney.

However, and I'm thinking out loud here, with the recent bad press about pellet stoves in Europe especially in larger towns and cities, pellet stoves are , and for good reason, seen less and less environmentally friendly both due to the emissions and where the pellets come from so, I am wondering how long will it be before restrictions are placed on these pellets and stoves also ? A modern Diesel is said to emit less PM 2.5 than pellet stoves, diesels have emissions control systems , pellet stoves do not.

Anyway, I live in the sticks so it's not a big deal for me but I do wonder what the future holds for pellets and pellet stoves ?

I read where pm 2.5 emitted from Pellet burning can be up to 15 times higher than from a modern condenser oil boiler, imagine that ?

We have a problem room. Either a stove or take off the roof

So a stove is perfect, at the moment wood burning but no timer etc. So best option is pellet stove. If we got 10 years out of it then I could decide what to do with the room itself.....

Its a beautiful room so no point wrecking it....Im kind of in the sticks as well so I doubt they will be worried about me

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion