Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2018, 22:33   #1
Dachsieone

Pellet stoves

Hi I'm hoping to to buy the ravelli aria pellet stove has anybody any thoughts on the pros and cons...
Advertisement
01-03-2018, 19:35   #2
arminkavix

Looking myself and so far.......
Noise is an issue with pellet stoves.
Ignitors fail fairly often although not just Ravelli.
Online Italian stores on the continent selling for 1000 yoyos less than here with Euro wide shipping to come on top.
(2) thanks from:
03-03-2018, 09:47   #3
EHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminkavix
Looking myself and so far....... Noise is an issue with pellet stoves. Ignitors fail fairly often although not just Ravelli. Online Italian stores on the continent selling for 1000 yoyos less than here with Euro wide shipping to come on top.

I have a kalor pellet stove with the last 3 years no issue with noise and haven't changed the ignitor yet. Had a harman pellet stove in another house before again no issue with noise but the ignitor wouldn't last a year in it for some reason. I also have customers with kalor, extraflame and K-Stove and no issues with noise or ignitiors in any of these.
(3) thanks from:
03-03-2018, 10:57   #4
arminkavix

Could you recommend a shortlist of good manufacturers of boiler pellet stoves with good local support in the 16-25kW range?
Are there any to avoid ?
03-03-2018, 11:36   #5
EHP

Quote:
Could you recommend a shortlist of good manufacturers of boiler pellet stoves with good local support in the 16-25kW range? Are there any to avoid ?
What general area are you in. The 2 I would recommend most would be Kalor and extraflame, Kalor being my first choice but that's just because I have more knowledge on it. Check out woodpelletstoves.ie for info on Kalor and local stockists, for extraflame Kerry biofuels is the only supplier I know probably is more.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2018, 14:15   #6
arminkavix

South East. Ravelli seem popular around here but had my eye on Kalor efficiencies of 95% at max output.
Is it a good idea to slightly undersize these units compared to what used be done with kero boilers?
Like put 20Kw pellet in where 25kW kero was and keep them running close to full output or does that shorten the life?
Thanks from:
03-03-2018, 14:38   #7
Dachsieone

Another concern I have is if there is a power out is there away to start the pellet stove manually and would they feed themselves manually
03-03-2018, 16:08   #8
arminkavix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachsieone View Post
Another concern I have is if there is a power out is there away to start the pellet stove manually and would they feed themselves manually
Unless you have a back up generator or a UPS it's just a lump of steel and ceramic.
That's why we have a Jotul 118 and a Waterford 104 as bankers for heat and cooking.
What a way to make a wood pile disappear though, and probably 70% efficient at best.
Thankfully the wood is free apart from the elbow grease
05-03-2018, 07:15   #9
EHP

Quote:
South East. Ravelli seem popular around here but had my eye on Kalor efficiencies of 95% at max output. Is it a good idea to slightly undersize these units compared to what used be done with kero boilers? Like put 20Kw pellet in where 25kW kero was and keep them running close to full output or does that shorten the life?
No advantage to undersize as most if not all pellet stoves modulate down in power once the preset temp is reached.
Advertisement
31-03-2018, 16:07   #10
Mad_Lad

We were looking at the pellet stoves in the stove centre in Carlow Town yesterday. Looking at around 3K inc installation.

I want to use it in the sitting room to replace the very expensive to run open Gas fire, we have a superb Efel 9 Kw Oil stove in the Kitichen/Dining area and have Oil heating for the rest of the house but I don't like having it on when I'm only in 1-2 rooms.

Anyone know what price you should expect to pay inc installation for pellet stove ? looking for about 5-6 Kw max.

Please link to some reliable models.

Interested in insert stoves also.

Failing that we can just install a 2nd hand efel for 400 Euro's and hopefully tap into the oil feed for the other oil stove which is the other side of the chimney.

They're giving away the Efel oil stoves 2nd hand in this country for some reason, they're great but I wanted to get away from oil and I don't want to use solid fuel.
31-03-2018, 16:23   #11
dr.fuzzenstein
Banned

Personally I don't know if I would go for a pellet stove again. I had an Exraflame and I found it a lot of work.
The chute holds 1-2 bags of pellets, so you're forever lugging bags around. Pellets burn clean, but you still need to empty the ash every few days. You need to either spend a few thousand on a silo or you will have to get pellets once a week and throw them into the garage or the shed.
Every few weeks you need to take it apart and clean out the system. It's horrible and dirty and a lot of work.
At least twice a year, you need to clean the chimney. MAKE SURE that you have a chimney that can be easily swept. Mine wasn't and I cursed it to hell every time.
You will need a dust mask and a large capacity vacuum cleaner if you do it yourself.
Or you spend a lot of money on a technician to call out and service it and separately a chimney sweep.
The one I had was horrible at starting up, took 2-3 goes most of the time, that means opening it up, emptying the pellets again, waiting half an hour till it cools down again (even if it never lit).
Replacing the glow plug was not fun, but replacing the pellet feed motor was dreadful.
I'd go for a simple stove next time.
31-03-2018, 16:58   #12
Mad_Lad

It's not something I'd be using daily for many hours to be honest.

Depends on how intensive the cleaning is if it would bother me or not.

Lugging bags of pellets, how many would you use a day , how many hours would you get per bag at what heat setting ? that's a 6 Kw stove isn't it ?

Definitely the Oil stove is brilliant, no cleaning apart from the door before I light it, but you just turn it on and as long as there's oil in the tank it needs nothing. I really don't know why they're not much more popular !

As I said I can buy them really cheap 400-500 Euro's so financially it probably makes a lot more sense I just like the idea of the pellet stove because I'm not a huge fan of coal (smokeless) and the work that goes in it and the pellets might be a bit less polluting than the oil stove but they're probably more polluting than the smokeless coal.

Wood burning stoves are getting attention in the U.K because they're more polluting than diesels with no emissions control on the chimney emissions, how it compares to pellets I do not know. I'm in the sticks anyway so it's not a huge deal.
31-03-2018, 22:50   #13
dr.fuzzenstein
Banned

The aria doesn't look to bad to clean at first glance.
Mine also heated water and radiators, so was a lot more complex to clean.
To my mind a solid fuel stove would be a lot less complex, meaning less to go wrong, cost less in the first place and have a longer life expectancy.
Also, wood or coal for burning can be bought anywhere, but pellet stove burns only pellets.
31-03-2018, 23:12   #14
Mad_Lad

Yeah I'm half thinking I should just go with a smaller Oil stove minimal maintenance, no ashes , no fuelling as long as there's oil in the tank and very long life, the installation though is expensive regardless of stove costs.
Thanks from:
03-04-2018, 10:38   #15
Shefwedfan

Sorry to jump on this thread...I am looking at wood pellet stove room heater to replace a Woodburning Stove(Green 8kW).....it has multifuel connection so burning logs/coal in it

The room is huge so the 2 radiators don't heat it. It is main room and each morning I end up lighting the stove which is a pain but also the room is cold till it gets up and running. I was looking at the pellet stove because I can set it on a timer.

I guess a 8kW will be required to replace. Any recommendations?

I dont mind the bags of pellets. I have a large shed to store them in and would be way easier that logs/coal which I am using at the moment

I did talk to someone and they mentioned keeping the pellets dry is a disaster? I would guess if I have a dry shed it would be no issue and then just buy in bulk like I do with the coal

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion