Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-01-2020, 04:43   #31
Realt Dearg Sec

Ugh...this again? Didn't they try it again last year?
Advertisement
07-01-2020, 05:30   #32
ReginaldSmythV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realt Dearg Sec View Post
No. XFL was always planned for 2020.
07-01-2020, 09:34   #33
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realt Dearg Sec View Post
You're thinking of the American Alliance of Football. Dreadful league which didn't have enough funds to keep going.

Vince McMahon will be able to see the season out with the XFL at least. But it won't last longer than one season.
07-01-2020, 14:03   #34
ipitydafool

Yeah AAF was a mess and XFL does have alot more going for it- better TV deal- afaik all league games will be broadcast on likes of FOX and ESPN. Also now sports betting in US becoming a more larger market with regulation at state level and this starting after Superbowl and quieter season- only NBA and NHL running it has a chance to garner some traction and catch on but still a long shot to succeed.
07-01-2020, 15:14   #35
Realt Dearg Sec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldSmythV View Post
No. XFL was always planned for 2020.
I was being sarcastic. This is ****e and nobody is going to care.

Edit: rereading this it sounded a lot more prickish and standoffish than it was meant to. I just remember last year thinking that the Alliance league wasn't just crap, it was another attempt, in a long line of them, including the XFL before, that failed catastrophically.

It just seems to me that people are convinced that because of the spectacular popularity of the NFL that there simply MUST be a market for a lower league. And so each time someone tries it, they convince themselves that they just need to tweak some elements of the idea in order to make it pay off. But to me the repeated failures tell us that the basic premise is what's wrong: there isn't a market for it, nobody is interested in watching guys they know are castoffs and nearly-men, except maybe NFL scouts looking for the offchance that they might find a diamond in the rough. It might work as an NFL farm league if they were able to run it on a lower level, with lower profile and attendant costs, like baseball minor leagues, but that is by definition something that is only watched locally. So yeah, I think this will flop, better TV deal or not.

Last edited by Realt Dearg Sec; 07-01-2020 at 17:01.
Advertisement
07-01-2020, 15:23   #36
jack presley

I’ll probably give it a watch if it can be streamed over here. Don’t have Sky so hopefully Gamepass or an equivalent will broadcast the games.
07-01-2020, 19:14   #37
jack presley

Some funny rules they're having. The 2 forward passes is interesting to say the least. And teams will have the chance to get 9 points off a TD...!!!!

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ore-excitement

EDIT - Just read the full details on the XFL site and while some of them feels a bit gimmicky, they might be fun to watch, albeit in a 'I'm not taking this league seriously' kind of way.

Last edited by jack presley; 07-01-2020 at 19:25.
Thanks from:
07-01-2020, 19:34   #38
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack presley View Post
I’ll probably give it a watch if it can be streamed over here. Don’t have Sky so hopefully Gamepass or an equivalent will broadcast the games.
All games to be shown on the ESPN Player.

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/...ternationally/
01-02-2020, 01:43   #39
SHOVELLER

DC United had an Open House Saturday and had the posts up for the XFL debut. Also have put in safe standing which is great to see and safer for the fans than the previous bleachers!

Advertisement
02-02-2020, 11:40   #40
Hello 2D Person Below

So have you all picked a team to follow/support?
02-02-2020, 11:45   #41
raze_them_all_

I just hope they come up with good ideas that the nfl robs when it folds again, just like last time. Interviews on pitch, spider cam etc
Thanks from:
02-02-2020, 12:14   #42
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello 2D Person Below View Post
So have you all picked a team to follow/support?
Asa Redskins fan, I'm sticking with the DC team. Having said that, at the moment I couldn't name one player on the team or who their coach is (or what their logo/colour are) but once we get the Superbowl out of the way, I'll start looking into it.

I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest. Football with a different slant. Will be interesting anyway, even if the standard is poor. Plenty of afternoon games as well so reasonable times for us to watch.
Thanks from:
02-02-2020, 12:37   #43
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raze_them_all_ View Post
I just hope they come up with good ideas that the nfl robs when it folds again, just like last time. Interviews on pitch, spider cam etc
Yeah that’s the best outcome. It’d be great if it could succeed for Longer than 1 season. Competition can only help push the NFL. They’ve been very stagnant for a while.
03-02-2020, 15:49   #44
lertsnim

BT Sport are showing two live games on Saturday.
(3) thanks from:
04-02-2020, 19:30   #45
Guffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lertsnim View Post
BT Sport are showing two live games on Saturday.
Im being lazy, what times are they on?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion