Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-10-2017, 02:25   #16
end of the road
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
2XM and Pulse are more niche stations than Gold, although I agree that there is a market for a station like both of those in at least Dublin, only smeared by the failure of TXFM. The amount of dance pirates makes me wonder why there hasn't been a licenced Dance service in Dublin, although it would probably be destroyed by current affairs requirements.
that and under the current full service model, in fact, probably any full service model, it wouldn't cover anything other then chart dance. so a community of interest licence would be the only option for a licenced dance station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
I think RTE Gold on FM would be a roaring success and would free up RTE Radio 1 to have a more defined talk focus (no more Ronan Collins etc.)
oh absolutely. it would enhance and enrich the terrestrial radio offering. no doubt about it.
end of the road is online now  
Advertisement
14-10-2017, 11:14   #17
dxhound2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post

I think RTE Gold on FM would be a roaring success and would free up RTE Radio 1 to have a more defined talk focus (no more Ronan Collins etc.)
From memory I think there has always been a music hour between 12pm and 1pm. It is hardly much of an imposition on the talk focus to lose one hour out of twelve starting at 7am. What is the etc apart from Collins that you want to get rid of?
dxhound2005 is online now  
Thanks from:
14-10-2017, 11:56   #18
twinklerunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
Or call it RTE Ór.
Gold is an internationally recognised name for Oldies stations. Ór means nothing to the vast majority of us that don’t speak Irish.
twinklerunner is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-10-2017, 12:07   #19
dxhound2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,853
French speakers would recognise Or. Is RTE Gold aimed at an international audience?
dxhound2005 is online now  
17-10-2017, 16:12   #20
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Horribilis View Post
Try living outside the greater Dublin area and then you'll know all about choice.
You live in the north west right ? Doesn't your local station ocean fm? play plenty of classic hits from the 70s/80s/90s/00s ?
Joe Duffy. is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2017, 17:02   #21
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Duffy. View Post
You live in the north west right ? Doesn't your local station ocean fm? play plenty of classic hits from the 70s/80s/90s/00s ?
I think most regional stations do.
MikeyTaylor is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2017, 17:12   #22
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTaylor View Post
I think most regional stations do.
That's what I mean, I'm all in favor of more choice on the airwaves but the way people rave about rte gold, you'd swear that there was a famine of Whitney Huston, Wham, the spice girls and Destiny's Child
Joe Duffy. is offline  
17-10-2017, 17:23   #23
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Duffy. View Post
You live in the north west right ? Doesn't your local station ocean fm? play plenty of classic hits from the 70s/80s/90s/00s ?
No I don't. The local station plays country and western ****e
Ursus Horribilis is offline  
(3) thanks from:
18-10-2017, 22:46   #24
Patty O Furniture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Duffy. View Post
With the news yesterday that Will Leahy and Rick O Shea are joining rte gold on weekdays, is there actually a plan for the station or is it just the new dumping ground for jocks too old for 2fm ? What type of service is RTE Gold offering that isn't already available from Classic Hits 4fm, Q102, East coast Radio ? It seems to play an awful lot of generic 80s stuff.
Will Leahy was on the 6 o clock show y'day, saying he was at 2fm for 21 yrs & a photo came up & he'd said it was Ian Dempsey's leaving party, Tony Fenton+Mike Moloney was there too.

I haven't listened to 2fm for a good while, but Will & Rick were weekday dj's moved over to weekends on 2fm, who else got shafted by 2fm, have now gone to Gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Salmon Juggler View Post
I stick on Gold at dinnertime most days, I find it has a better selection than both 4FM and Q102 - the fact it's on DAB is the clincher for me though, as FM reception where the radio is located is patchy.

I like Gold, 2XM and Pulse.
Is DAB available only in largely populated areas like Dublin, are most of them on satellite, never really looked as i assume those stations mentioned are only Dublin local? as it seems there's quite a few?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTaylor View Post
Maybe Mike Moloney will resurface on RTE Gold, after he dropped from the Nova schedule recently?
That name always stirs up memories of Moloney after Midnight, afaik was on 2fm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Horribilis View Post
No I don't. The local station plays country and western ****e
Tommy Rosney & Pio McCann to name a few

Afaik Ocean fm range is Sligo -Donegal town?

Highland is under a big schedule change since Shaun Doherty left, but jaysus Greg Hughes is still there in that slot

Last edited by Boards.ie: David; 20-07-2019 at 16:46.
Patty O Furniture is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2017, 00:08   #25
marno21
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O Furniture View Post
Will Leahy was on the 6 o clock show y'day, saying he was at 2fm for 21 yrs & a photo came up & he'd said it was Ian Dempsey's leaving party, Tony Fenton+Mike Moloney was there too.

I haven't listened to 2fm for a good while, but Will & Rick were weekday dj's moved over to weekends on 2fm, who else got shafted by 2fm, have now gone to Gold?



Is DAB available only in largely populated areas like Dublin, are most of them on satellite, never really looked as i assume those stations mentioned are only Dublin local? as it seems there's quite a few?



That name always stirs up memories of Moloney after Midnight, afaik was on 2fm?



Tommy Rosney & Pio McCann to name a few

Afaik Ocean fm range is Sligo -Donegal town?

Highland is under a big schedule change since Shaun Doherty left, but jaysus Greg Hughes is still there in that slot
If you are familiar, DAB transmits from Three Rock, Kippure, Clermont Carn, Spur Hill and Woodcock Hill. Dublin, West Wicklow (Dublin commuter belt), the north east, Cork city and Limerick ciity and part county.

Ocean FM is Sligo, south Donegal and north Leitrim.

The problem is that we licenced youth services for 24 counties (all bar Cork and Wicklow). We only licenced an over 45 service for Cork, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Dublin, SE Meath, NE Kildare and North Wicklow. 4FM is also a poor attempt at this kind of service. Is there a market for an RTE Gold on FM nationwide? Most definately. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG. RnaG can easily be carried on FM using spare frequencies in Gaeltacht areas. The minority of listeners outside these areas can use the Internet, Saorview, Sky etc or DAB in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and the NE (half the population)
marno21 is offline  
Thanks from:
19-10-2017, 00:51   #26
Patty O Furniture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
If you are familiar, DAB transmits from Three Rock, Kippure, Clermont Carn, Spur Hill and Woodcock Hill. Dublin, West Wicklow (Dublin commuter belt), the north east, Cork city and Limerick ciity and part county.

Ocean FM is Sligo, south Donegal and north Leitrim.

The problem is that we licenced youth services for 24 counties (all bar Cork and Wicklow). We only licenced an over 45 service for Cork, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Dublin, SE Meath, NE Kildare and North Wicklow. 4FM is also a poor attempt at this kind of service. Is there a market for an RTE Gold on FM nationwide? Most definately. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG. RnaG can easily be carried on FM using spare frequencies in Gaeltacht areas. The minority of listeners outside these areas can use the Internet, Saorview, Sky etc or DAB in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and the NE (half the population)
I had limited knowledge of DAB, like seeing the radio's in Aldi's, but my thinking it'd be pointless here to use if you can't pick them up?

I see that most/all RTE radio stations are on satellite, inc Newstalk, but not TodayFM?

Is that Gold on sky ch 0121?
Would it be like an extended play of Larry Gogan's Golden Hour
Patty O Furniture is offline  
19-10-2017, 08:36   #27
dxhound2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG.
I predict an almighty outcry if RnaG was replaced with a station playing foreign pop music. Especially from the people who are trying to enhance the position of the language in Northern Ireland, including by increasing the use of Irish on the BBC.
dxhound2005 is online now  
Thanks from:
19-10-2017, 09:22   #28
Expunge
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 730
Quote:
Is there a market for an RTE Gold on FM nationwide? Most definately. I think the days of having to provide RTE Lyric FM and RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta on FM nationwide are gone and there is more benefit to having Gold on FM than RnaG. RnaG can easily be carried on FM using spare frequencies in Gaeltacht areas. The minority of listeners outside these areas can use the Internet, Saorview, Sky etc or DAB in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and the NE (half the population)
Hold your horses there for a moment......

What is RTE for if not to provide the most straightforward access to minority/loss making cultural services? It's one of the reasons why they harvest license fee money AND are allowed to sell advertising and sponsorship.
There is no justification for RTE putting Gold on nationwide FM, although I agree with you that it would do very well.

The days of providing Lyric and RnaG on nationwide FM are still very much here, till DAB+ becomes as accessible as FM is now. It is RTE's job more than providing a Gold station. Otherwise they can say bye bye to a chunk of license fee.
Expunge is offline  
20-10-2017, 17:53   #29
Andy From Sligo
Registered User
 
Andy From Sligo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10,126
is RTE Gold working online?

just been trying to get RTE gold on Internet Radio it said "No Content" so then went to laptop and put in https://gold.rte.ie/ - and it didnt work - then tried it on 'is it down?' website checker and it says its down for everyone...
Andy From Sligo is offline  
20-10-2017, 18:13   #30
Mr Snow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy From Sligo View Post
just been trying to get RTE gold on Internet Radio it said "No Content" so then went to laptop and put in https://gold.rte.ie/ - and it didnt work - then tried it on 'is it down?' website checker and it says its down for everyone...
working good for me is your wi-fi down
Mr Snow is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet