Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lunchtime Live with Ciara Kelly [Mod warning post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Del.Monte wrote: »
    For all Newstalk Fans the current issue of Phoenix may be of interest: https://www.thephoenix.ie/article/denis-obrien-to-dump-newstalk/ it won't be missed - by me anyway.

Theres nothing else remotely similar on irish airwaves so i would definitely miss it, might as well chuck the radio out of the car considering the rest of the grabge that is all that will be available, "hur dur dur listen to how wacky and zany we are, ohh heres another way you can win money by guessing some bizarre thing that we will drag out for longer than any reasonable person has patience for"

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

I see Dill got her P45 today, she shot herself in the foot by not turning up for her show, I'm sorry but u can't do that without suffering the consequences.
    This is management showing who's boss. Probably a few more got the hair dryer treatment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

doylefe wrote: »
    Don't read newspapers so didn't realize Gerry Thornley was one of them. What will we do now for Monday / Wednesday night rugby on OTB?

Same as we've been doing for the last number of weeks, Gavin Cummiskey of the Indo plus random retired players. In fairness, Gav is much more likely to call shenanigans than the whimsical Gerry T.

I must say the station bosses have balls to let Dil go in the circumstances, just when it was all settling down again, but what she did was disgracefully disloyal and her getting canned was more than justifiable. Her over the top PC attitude and deliberate cheerleading of anything atypical was tiresome and preachy.

'My pansexual visually impaired wheelchair bound friend from the afro-irish community said to me the other day....'

Bye Dil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Since George was not fired there was very little else they could do. I'm sure they don't want "is she back yet", questions popping up every Saturday and then another s***storm in December when George is back. The choice was George or Dil, they went for George who is probably more attractive commercial option anyway.

Nobody else put themselves in George or me position and I would be surprised if there is much bigger clear out among senior staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Why do they keep going for amateur presenters who don't really have presenting experience. Or depth of knowledge? Is there nobody on local radio or working as a journalist who could be given a go? Instead they're going for a GP...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Same as we've been doing for the last number of weeks, Gavin Cummiskey of the Indo plus random retired players. In fairness, Gav is much more likely to call shenanigans than the whimsical Gerry T.

Cummiskey writes in the IT too so he's gone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

She refused to do her job until a colleague was taken off the air. Newstalk management quite rightly decided, we make the decisions not you.
    Could anyone else in another job refuse to come in until a colleague is sacked?
    Who does she think she is?
    Newstalk is on very thin ice as it is with rumours the plug could be pulled, they don't need the likes of Dil trying to call the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

She refused to do her job until a colleague was taken off the air. Newstalk management quite rightly decided, we make the decisions not you.
    Could anyone else in another job refuse to come in until a colleague is sacked?
    Who does she think she is?
    Newstalk is on very thin ice as it is with rumours the plug could be pulled, they don't need the likes of Dil trying to call the shots.
    No more Newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No more Newstalk?

Change of ownership more likely, which is an interesting proposition in itself. Communicorp gets a lot of stick (rightly IMO) and theyve made some truly dreadful decisions around their portfolio in the last 18 months, but imagine someone like Global Radio who owns LBC taking over, could go from bad to worse.

Change of ownership more likely
    If Communicorp cannot make a profit out of the station, with all the cost-savings they have from consolidating their reporting and broadcasting costs with 98FM, Spin, Today FM and INM, it may simply be an unprofitable venture in a small market like Ireland.

The problem of the small Irish market is compounded by having to compete with a very well resourced, public-funded broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Change of ownership more likely, which is an interesting proposition in itself. Communicorp gets a lot of stick (rightly IMO) and theyve made some truly dreadful decisions around their portfolio in the last 18 months.

I still can't understand what they did with Newstalk and the schedule. It was like they were deliberately trying to burn it down for the insurance.

The newstalk 20 must be quite nervous right now, that petition wouldn't have gone down well with management.
    I can't see Dinny trowing in the towel and giving up on newstalk, that would be admitting failure.He probably told management to get their act together or ship out.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

quintana76 wrote: »
    My original point was that NewsTalk seem to be trying to reboot the lunchtime show. Most regular Hook listeners would not by definition like being preached at. It has now become sermonising
    central.

Jay's us she got taught well enough about sermonizing by Hook... and that irritating American bollix he used to lick up to... maybe taught too well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I kinda like Dr Ciara on the lighter stuff. Not amazing, but not too bad at all.

Who picks the topics, though? I flicked it on yesterday to hear her say "Now for something completely different, a WHO report on an outbreak of the plague!"

I know it is news, but jeaysus I get fed up with all the medical/sickness stuff. Especially at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

vince wrote: »
    Future jnlrs will be interesting for Sanitized Fm. All my family have tuned out now.

Do you think they are really accurate,? I dont think they showed a big drop when Chris and Sarah took over drivetime, and they were absolutely pathethic,, even worse perhaps than Mother Ciara of Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I was supprised at chris and sarahs figure s myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I thought they were broken but I think I've got it down to one voice.
    My Bluetooth headphones crackle sometimes, but it's only recently I figured out that only Ciara Kellys voice crackles. So much so if she is on the radio or a podcast I have to turn it off.
    Her guests don't and no other podcasts do either.
    I know it sounds like a joke but it's not.
    Is there any explanation for this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

The good doctor got the gig full-time.
    I actually like her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

The food doctor got the gig full-time.
    I actually like her.

No way. That's newstalk never on at that time for me. Can't stand her, she is like Ray D'arcy, a boring know it all

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just updated the thread title there.

I was hoping they'd give it to Cuddihy, as I said before I kept Newstalk at that time for the first time in over a year when he was on, no real shock that Kelly got it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Like Cuddihy myself. He comes across as actually unapologetically left-liberal, which I found refreshing, despite what many denizens of this forum may argue.

Kelly... Meh. Reckon she could use a couple of hours briefing on topics before each show...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MikeenRonanJr

I'd actually prefer it given to Kelly over Cuddihy. Been listening as usual over the past few weeks, the man is like a walking "liberal lefty" stereotype. There was one stage, when reading out a reasonable text about mass third world immigration (Not all people who are weary of it are racist was the general gist), he said "thats right, not all racist, selfish as well". I genuinely cannot fathom how some people can have that reaction to "I don't desire unlimited mass immigration into my homeland".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You won't last long on Boards with that outlook.

Like Cuddihy myself. He comes across as actually unapologetically left-liberal, which I found refreshing, despite what many denizens of this forum may argue.

Kelly... Meh. Reckon she could use a couple of hours briefing on topics before each show...
    Cuddihy makes Jonathan Healy sound like Alex Jones. Having said that I don't mind him that much.
    Is there any moderate voice left in Irish media? Pat Kenny threads the fine line between left and right, and all the better for it. There's very few broadcasters who can handle a wide range of topics and ciara Kelly is not one of them, she's competent and l do like her but she doesn't make me want to turn on the radio or feel I'd miss anything by not listening. No matter what u say about George hook, u must admit he could handle any topic and add to it. Pak Kenny is the same. Gerry Ryan was probably the master of radio an absolute genius at the art of broadcasting, there was nothing he couldn't deal with, music, politics, sport, religion, comedy, arts, health, sex, etc. Broadcasters like that don't come around that often. No matter who newstalk get, they're going to be pretty much the same. Blandness seem to be name of the game theses days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

So it's official.

Well bye bye newstalk, I won't be listening.

Thanks to the poster that put me in the direction of Éamonn Dunphys "the stand" podcast.

It's been doing a fine job filling the hour after sean ó Rourke show to the one o clock news.

This whole affair along with William's and mcinnerny have soured me big time to the station.

Honestly can't think of anything like it in the past. It's almost a guide of "how to pissoff your audience and alienate them".

The only thing I can think of that compares is what marvel comics have done the last 2 years. No surprise the same Sjw nonsense was at its core too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

monstermag wrote: »
    No matter what u say about George hook, u must admit he could handle any topic and add to it.
    Nope.
    He detracted from several potentially sensible discussions with his ignorance and ill-informed bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Quite why someone would want to give up a noble profession like medicine to enter the volatile world of media, on less pay, is puzzling but good luck to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

reg114 wrote:
    Quite why someone would want to give up a noble profession like medicine to enter the volatile world of media, on less pay, is puzzling but good luck to her.

No doubt she will still own and operate her practice, but employ a locum doctor to take her place on less money than she was taking home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement