Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Will any of those plug&play wireless mouse work with dvr's?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

Will any of those plug&play wireless mouse work with dvr's?

Yes they work perfect

I have 2 x outputs to monitor from my dvr HDMI/VGA. Can I use hdmi at source monitor and extended vga to downstairs monitor just for viewing??

I mean both together!

Anyone know of a system that has wired cameras with night vision, recording to a hard drive, with streaming access and motion detection alerts to a mobile phone app plus speakers to be able to holler at anyone that may need to be given a message? Zoom and tilt/turn on the cameras would also be handy.

Pretty much word-for-word what I was about to post.

Preferably from somewhere like Amazon. Anyone care to make a suggestion? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have 2 x outputs to monitor from my dvr HDMI/VGA. Can I use hdmi at source monitor and extended vga to downstairs monitor just for viewing??

I mean both together!

All depends if the DVR will allow it.
    Some will only allow one to be used at a time but higher spec units will allow both.

• Advertisement

The more I think about it well it's not really a big deal, I can only be in 1 place at a time, if needs be I'll just plug one out plug one in!?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Pretty much word-for-word what I was about to post.

Preferably from somewhere like Amazon. Anyone care to make a suggestion? :)

Exactly what I’m looking for aswell. Let me know what you find.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I recently got 4 POE Cameras and NVR from domar.com and at the moment can't fault them. They have P2P so no issues with access on my mobile, I have 4g BB so port forwarding was an issue.

I got a system on amazon for €170. 4 cameras, easy peasy to set up , and shockingly good quality (based on my 10 minutes of fiddling with it in the dark... the cameras, that is).

I believe the brand is Annke or something to that effect.. amazon.co.uk is coming up like some weird HTML site at the moment so i can't link, but tomorrow evening I'll stick a link to it up. Seems really good for the money.

But again, haven't set it up properly, just in the sitting room messing with turning the lights on and off. Haven't tried to get footage off it yet or anything, so there's all to play for, but first impressions are definitely overly positive.

I got a system on amazon for €170. 4 cameras, easy peasy to set up , and shockingly good quality (based on my 10 minutes of fiddling with it in the dark... the cameras, that is).

I believe the brand is Annke or something to that effect.. amazon.co.uk is coming up like some weird HTML site at the moment so i can't link, but tomorrow evening I'll stick a link to it up. Seems really good for the money.

But again, haven't set it up properly, just in the sitting room messing with turning the lights on and off. Haven't tried to get footage off it yet or anything, so there's all to play for, but first impressions are definitely overly positive.

Sounds good. Post up the link.

• Advertisement

I think this is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Security-Surveillance-All-weather-Adaptation/dp/B00MGJ4YW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509413324&sr=8-2&keywords=annke+security+camera+system+smart

Comes with 4 cams and a 1tb HDD installed. £140.

I say think because amazon is still a weird-ass HTML site for me. Is it just me, or is anyone else getting that? Works fine on my phone?

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know if there's an easy-peasy lemon squeezy way of getting that CCTV/DVR to show on two separate screens in two different rooms?

I'm sure there's an easy way to do it but i've mental block thinking about it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know if there's an easy-peasy lemon squeezy way of getting that CCTV/DVR to show on two separate screens in two different rooms?

I'm sure there's an easy way to do it but i've mental block thinking about it. :(

Would you mind posting some footage when you have it going. Cheer's

I think this is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Security-Surveillance-All-weather-Adaptation/dp/B00MGJ4YW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509413324&sr=8-2&keywords=annke+security+camera+system+smart

Comes with 4 cams and a 1tb HDD installed. £140.

I say think because amazon is still a weird-ass HTML site for me. Is it just me, or is anyone else getting that? Works fine on my phone?

I would be interested in seeing the video quality as well.

Came across this system

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-1920x1080P-Weatherproof-Compression-Zero-channel/dp/B01A6Z42AC/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=51QQQgAbv2L&dpPl=1&keywords=cctv&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&qid=1509355555&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_43&sr=8-43

I know it doesnt come with a hard drive but this is easly fitted. The camera quality is what stands out to me. What do people think?

Hi folks. I'll try get a video up later on (more realistically, it'll be tomorrow I'd say). It's just figuring out how to get the footage off it that'll throw me as I haven't actually used it properly (I just admired the cam quality and then turned it off again).

logistic wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing the video quality as well.

Came across this system

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-1920x1080P-Weatherproof-Compression-Zero-channel/dp/B01A6Z42AC/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=51QQQgAbv2L&dpPl=1&keywords=cctv&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&qid=1509355555&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_43&sr=8-43

I know it doesnt come with a hard drive but this is easly fitted. The camera quality is what stands out to me. What do people think?

Apparently the ones I have are 1mp cameras, so theoretically, that should have 2x better quality.. although realistically, higher MP count really will only assist with cropping footage and preserving quality (ie; if you have to zoom in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I bought a few months ago a Kare 4 cam system, 720p, PoE and now I'm looking at replacing it, because although cheap, it doesn't really work that great. I'm looking at getting separate cameras and NVR, Dahua Starlight series (only 2MP, but great night quality) are well regarded.

I only ever connected 1 of the 4 Kare cameras, and now that camera failed so I replaced it with another unused one (2 more spares to go :).

I guess if you want cheapest, the ANNKE system posted above is alright, but that's an analog system (through coax cable, and not Ethernet. I'd have my doubts about the 1080p claims. Yes the output file will have that resolution, but is the level of detail on par?)

What I also found less than ideal on the Kare system was that all cameras came with 3.6mm lenses, which results in a FOV of maybe 55-60 degrees, whereas the 1 Dahua cam I got has a FOV of 101 degrees, meaning it covers both sides of the house. With large FOV comes the drawback of not being able to identify faces (more area crammed in the same pixels, so less detail) but tbh for now I care more about all corners and entries of the house being covered than I am about identifying faces.

Thinking of getting this entry-level NVR along with this varifocal lens to cover the front of the house properly.

Keep in mind with Chinese brands (like ANNKE, Kare, Dahua etc) there are more security concerns, but if the worse it can happen is someone on the other side of the globe looks in my back garden, I'm ok with that. When you setup the cameras, make sure they don't have internet access (separate subnet, VLAN etc).

So I started with a kit like many here, and now I'm looking to upgrade it piece by piece with more performant components.

A good source of info I found to be the forums at ipcamtalk.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

batman2000 wrote: »
    Did you purchase this system. I was looking online and mainly at the Annke and Sannce range. Seems to have a good range and decent reviews. I can add in a HDD for eur70

https://www.annkesecurity.com/4mp-security-system/annke-1080p-8ch-hd-poe-security-camera-system-w-4-x-4mp-bullet-cameras-without-hdd.html

Hi Batman
    Did you get a system?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your around that budget shop closer to home & look at HIK Vision.

I know I took a bit longer to get this footage up here, folks, but that cheapo ~€165 Annke system I was banging on about, well here's some night time footage with it.

The street at the front is lit alright. Not great, but not terrible. It'd be on the poor side of average street-lighting. The back garden, and next doors back garden (the wall is broken between our gardens on the video) are pretty much in pitch black, though, and the camera can make out what's going on, so I'm personally happy with that.

(the house is undergoing some work at the moment, hence the mess).

Footage is grainy, but considering you get the DVR, a 1tb drive, 4 cameras and all wires, I think it's really good (and i'll be honest and say again, i find the footage is better than I anticipated).

On the plus side, I timed myself; it only took me about 20 minutes to turn the system on, record 5 minutes of footage, transfer the file to a HDD, upload it to youtube, do a little cropping and publish it. I think that's reasonable and demonstrates that it's relatively easy to get the footage off it.

rocky wrote: »

To be honest, I'd be very skeptical about any claims of video quality from any of the cameras you buy online. I'd say, like lots of products, most are lies.

Like yourself, I'm not overly interested in getting faces. Even a half-hearted, braindead child of a thief knows that a hoodie and scarf means the Gardai can't do anything about it, but you'll probably/hopefully get help elsewhere to figure out the culprit (one of the few uses I've seen of Facebook).

My cameras are 1mp, which, as a photographer shooting with a 18mp sensor, sounds miserable. But it's actually grand. Maybe I just don't expect much, but I paid ~€165 for my set up which has 4 cameras and a relatively easy set up, and i can make out what's on the screen at night, so I'm a happy camper.

They don't have a very wide field of view, but I can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Here are a couple snapshots taken around the same time, front Kare camera, rear Dahua. For the front (720p) I would like some extra FOV to get more of the sidewalk and left-hand side in the picture, plus the night vision is what it is.

On the Dahua I'm still playing with the settings (not sure I can adjust gain etc), but in what looks to me like a dark garden, it sees in color even - and it's not a Starlight camera which are double/triple the price. Also keep in mind the Dahua is downscaled from 1080p to 720p otherwise the Kare NVR wouldn't be able to record the stream.

PS - both timestamps are off by 1 hour with the DST changes, front is 1 hour behind, rear is 1 hour ahead. They were taken around the same time

That night vision is quite good @KKV

Folks, I'm probably a bit slow here. But what's the craic with wiring the DVR to my router with an ethernet cable? What's the benefit of that?

I was just about to buy the cable on eBay and realised I have the cameras working, and i can download footage off it without the ethernet cable involved? Am I overlooking something obvious? :confused:

Folks, I'm probably a bit slow here. But what's the craic with wiring the DVR to my router with an ethernet cable? What's the benefit of that?

I was just about to buy the cable on eBay and realised I have the cameras working, and i can download footage off it without the ethernet cable involved? Am I overlooking something obvious? :confused:

Then you will be able to download a specific app to your phone and view anywhere in the WORLD :)
    Your dvr basically goes online.. Specific to your devices..
    There would be some security concerns, but the experts will explain those to you, and how to avoid those issues.
    EXPERTS EXPERTS WHERE ARE YOU?

Then you will be able to download a specific app to your phone and view anywhere in the WORLD :)
    Your dvr basically goes online.. Specific to your devices..
    There would be some security concerns, but the experts will explain those to you, and how to avoid those issues.
    EXPERTS EXPERTS WHERE ARE YOU?

Ah okay.. I actually forgot all about the smart phone aspect to these systems. I must get it sorted to be able to do that.

I'm not too worried about security concerns (presumably the concerns are that other people might be able to view my footage? But I doubt the average would-be criminals would be that intelligent).

How did you download the footage from your dvr, did you just insert a usb stick in rear port??

How did you download the footage from your dvr, did you just insert a usb stick in rear port??

Yeah. Well, i stuck an external HDD in, but it was via a USB port on the back of the DVR.

I only had 2 cameras running, and I recorded the footage there and then, so it was easy.

I'm not sure how tricky it might be with 4 cameras going and trying to actually find the footage in the first place (ie; if you get broke into overnight, scouring through all the footage to get the footage you want might be time consuming) but i presume this is the same as most systems.

I think there is an option to only have the cameras record when they actually sense movement, but I rarely trust this kinda system, so.. i'd rather leave mine on all the time, given the choice. (though I'm unsure how many hours of footage i can actually store if i have all 4 cams going at the same time on a constant basis).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Yeah. Well, i stuck an external HDD in, but it was via a USB port on the back of the DVR.

I only had 2 cameras running, and I recorded the footage there and then, so it was easy.

I'm not sure how tricky it might be with 4 cameras going and trying to actually find the footage in the first place (ie; if you get broke into overnight, scouring through all the footage to get the footage you want might be time consuming) but i presume this is the same as most systems.

I think there is an option to only have the cameras record when they actually sense movement, but I rarely trust this kinda system, so.. i'd rather leave mine on all the time, given the choice. (though I'm unsure how many hours of footage i can actually store if i have all 4 cams going at the same time on a constant basis).

Have a look at the playback settings there may be an option for smart playback. It would skip non events which saves alot of time when searching for what you require.

What about the monitoring aspect. If you have your cameras set on motion recording you can have notifications sent to you via the app (I presume the app/dvr can do this?) or email. Do you not want to proactively monitor for a potential break-ins etc? You will need your DVR connected to your router for this.

• Advertisement

There's a couple of great tutorials on youtube, looks quite easy to find an exact date and time.. Also I screenshot'd a chart with 1Tb footage hrs. 2Tb footage hrs etc etc.. I'm at work at the min, so I'll search for it later...

https://www.security-camera-warehouse.com/cctv-record-time-calculator.php

Advertisement