Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-03-2020, 10:20   #1906
hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotadose View Post
Trumaine Johnson to be cut. No surprise. Good riddance - always on the other team's highlight film while a Jet.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...umaine-johnson
Must be one of the worst free agents mistakes in a long time.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 19:53   #1907
phatkev

Looks like Robby Anderson is signing with the Panthers. I dont think anyone here would be surprised he didnt resign with the Jets, but I'll still be sad to see him go.
Still think they need to go OT at #11, it seems to be a pretty deep class at WR
25-03-2020, 10:02   #1908
hots

Yup, ideally I'd like OT at 11 and then 2 WRs in the next 3 picks.
25-03-2020, 10:45   #1909
phatkev

Breshad Perriman looks like Robbys replacement. If he can perform like he did in the latter half of last season, they could be onto a winner. If he performs like he did in Baltimore he wont be of much use. Also big questions around if he can stay healthy for 16 games
25-03-2020, 10:48   #1910
hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatkev View Post
Breshad Perriman looks like Robbys replacement. If he can perform like he did in the latter half of last season, they could be onto a winner. If he performs like he did in Baltimore he wont be of much use. Also big questions around if he can stay healthy for 16 games
I think we have to hope he's competing for WR2 at most post-draft really.

I'm sure I read last year that Gase plays 3 WR and 1 TE the most out of any coach in the league, with our current roster and even after the draft it's fairly likely we'll need to see more 2TE/2RB sets if we want to be productive.
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 13:05   #1911
corner back 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hots View Post
I think we have to hope he's competing for WR2 at most post-draft really.

I'm sure I read last year that Gase plays 3 WR and 1 TE the most out of any coach in the league, with our current roster and even after the draft it's fairly likely we'll need to see more 2TE/2RB sets if we want to be productive.
That sounds right but the problem is Gase rarely if ever deviates from his system so we definitely need better WRs from the draft.
The main issue is that so many holes remain to be filled and it can be argued that Centre is the only position that had been improved in free agency. Every other signing has been like for like or even weakened some positions. At least he took a few shots which could go either way such as Fant or Desir. If they work out Douglas will look good.
25-03-2020, 14:09   #1912
hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner back 2 View Post
That sounds right but the problem is Gase rarely if ever deviates from his system so we definitely need better WRs from the draft.
The main issue is that so many holes remain to be filled and it can be argued that Centre is the only position that had been improved in free agency. Every other signing has been like for like or even weakened some positions. At least he took a few shots which could go either way such as Fant or Desir. If they work out Douglas will look good.
I would say WR has been weakened, CB has to be an upgrade over Trumaine, Tackle is definitely a wildcard for now but fingers crossed we get a big one in the draft. The middle 3 on the line of Van Roten, McGovern and Lewis should be a fairly big improvement over any of the combinations last year I think, the new guys are both consistently average and don't give up penalties and Lewis was probably the best of a bad bunch last year. Could see Beachum come back to compete if we don't get a round 1 guy too.

If we go OL,WR,WR,CB/Edge/OL/WR in the first 3 rounds I'd be delighted. 3 WRs or 2 OL sounds excessive but both needs big repair jobs and all our O Line signings are more or less 1 year deals...
25-03-2020, 14:10   #1913
phatkev

Quote:
O-line is definitely still the glaring need. In fairness to Joe Douglas, there wasnt much in the pool of oline FA. I dont think Fant should be a starter at left or right tackle. I think Van Roten will be an upgrade over Winters, Lewis is a below average starter in my opinion, but I'd be happy to proved wrong here. That leaves Right and Left Tackle, I think the best situation they can end up with now is Edoga at RT and a Rookie LT, but the draft would really need to go their way for this to happen
25-03-2020, 20:57   #1914
corner back 2

I know he has signed a lot of free agents but only one position has really been improved. Going by last years performances Van Roten, Desir, Fant & Lewis (all projected to start) were average at best and mostly below average. All have potential but none are proven. Combined with weakening the WR position Douglas better have a good draft or it will be another long season a d back to another rebuild again next year.
Advertisement
26-03-2020, 09:26   #1915
hots

Quote:
I know he has signed a lot of free agents but only one position has really been improved. Going by last years performances Van Roten, Desir, Fant & Lewis (all projected to start) were average at best and mostly below average. All have potential but none are proven. Combined with weakening the WR position Douglas better have a good draft or it will be another long season a d back to another rebuild again next year.
IMO Average and below average are upgrades for us unfortunately. Lewis is a scratch, if Fant starts I'm not expecting much tbh, but there's upside at least (I've not got a very good feeling about him though), Desir > Trumaine and Roten I'm expecting to be better than van Roten and Compton. Winters becomes depth I think at this stage as we don't need the cap space by the looks of things, and as a depth guy he's alright.

Worst case, we end up with a slight downgrade at LT, 3 average guards between two positions isn't too bad, a competent centre and an ok RT with upside. I would hope we add a tackle in the first (don't think there's going to be one at our second pick) which would be an strong LT and then fant and winters as our backup guys... not the worst.
30-03-2020, 13:42   #1916
hots

https://theathletic.com/1694556/2020...rce=dailyemail

really good article on van roten here on the athletic if you've got a sub (90 days for free at the moment I think). He's come the long way round to get where he is anyway
19-04-2020, 17:05   #1917
corner back 2

Lots of talk this weekend about trading Jamal Adams for picks, maybe a first and a third or fourth. Personally I think this is crazy. I cant understand wanting to trade the best player you have for an unknown draftee that may or may not pan out. There are so many holes on the roster and trading him away just creates another one. The positional value argument doesn't stand up as Adams does things way above the level of other safeties and can hugely affect a game from the safety position. As it stands the Jets could get a LT, 2 WRs, a CB and an IOL with their first 5 picks. This fills most of the holes except for Edge which is a weak class this draft. By trading Adams you would just add safety to the list of needs and probably would have to draft one high to get anywhere near the same level of player. In effect all you are gaining is maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick. Add to the talent already on the roster dont trade it away. Rant over but will be hugely unhappy if he is traded.
20-04-2020, 09:30   #1918
hots

Quote:
Lots of talk this weekend about trading Jamal Adams for picks, maybe a first and a third or fourth. Personally I think this is crazy. I cant understand wanting to trade the best player you have for an unknown draftee that may or may not pan out. There are so many holes on the roster and trading him away just creates another one. The positional value argument doesn't stand up as Adams does things way above the level of other safeties and can hugely affect a game from the safety position. As it stands the Jets could get a LT, 2 WRs, a CB and an IOL with their first 5 picks. This fills most of the holes except for Edge which is a weak class this draft. By trading Adams you would just add safety to the list of needs and probably would have to draft one high to get anywhere near the same level of player. In effect all you are gaining is maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick. Add to the talent already on the roster dont trade it away. Rant over but will be hugely unhappy if he is traded.
Agreed, he is also worth far more to us than comparitively to other teams, so it makes him even less suited for a trade. I'm hoping it's just paper talk with him shooting for the new contract, but I wouldn't consider less than two firsts which will never happen.
23-04-2020, 12:32   #1919
hots

Prediction for tonight: Micky Becton for us after the Browns don't take a tackle. Also, Dolphins on paper will look suddenly incredible.

Ideal: Maybe a tradeback with one of the WR needy teams (assuming we don't get a shot at a tackle) and we accumulate enough to end up with 4 of the tier 2 guys at WR, WR, OT & CB.

Nightmare: Kinlaw.
23-04-2020, 12:56   #1920
hots

Oh, also I have a slight yearning for us to draft Isiah Simmons... It makes no sense and isn't a need, but damn him and Jamal ****ing around causing havoc under MadGregg, it would be incredible.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion