Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cormac O hEadhra/ Saturday View RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

He'd actually do better if he pronounced his 'Os' and 'Us' properly

I'm a bit tired of Dooblin,cumpany and Guvvernment to be quite honest.

He's in there with Conor Brophy and a few more on that team.

Are you basically suggesting he should use RP?

To fussily pronounce the O in company, government , and Monday would (justifiably, in my opinion) make CH the subject of derision for swapping his Irish and Galway accent for a BBC accent; not unlike Michael D Higgins, who in my opinion pronounces his o's far too rigidly.

The south-eastern counties of England may say, gə-vər(n)-mənt, but it is pronounced gu-ver(n)-mənt almost universally across this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

conorh91 wrote: »
    Are you basically suggesting he should use RP?

To fussily pronounce the O in company, government , and Monday would (justifiably, in my opinion) make CH the subject of derision for swapping his Irish and Galway accent for a BBC accent; not unlike Michael D Higgins, who in my opinion pronounces his o's far too rigidly.

Not too sure what your point is there, but I would really prefer if he pronounced

'Monday' as 'Monday' rather than 'Munday'.

Michael D has an amazing accent, I can't make head nor tail of it to be honest.

How does he pronounce his O's rigidly, any examples ,I would be interested in your take on it C.

Didn't see your edit, but why do we dwell on extremes?
    '
    Not suggesting he pronounce 'Government ' as ' Gavermant' just plain 'Government' would do me

Like o is o u is u and a is a

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

'Pen' from the Greek = 'almost' as in peninsula - almost an Island

Therefor penultimate almost the ultimate,the semi -final like

Just thought I'd throw that snippet in to show George is a well educated lad.

I know what it means. As I said he never calls the final the "ultimate" game.

I know what it means. As I said he never calls the final the "ultimate" game.

Aaah ok, I knew you did, just tossing in a bit of trivia for those who didn't.

Somebody might like the bit of trivia.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Not too sure what your point is there, but I would really prefer if he pronounced

'Monday' as 'Monday' rather than 'Munday'.

Michael D has an amazing accent, I can't make head nor tail of it to be honest.

How does he pronounce his O's rigidly, any examples ,I would be interested in your take on it C.

Didn't see your edit, but why do we dwell on extremes?
    '
    Not suggesting he pronounce 'Government ' as ' Gavermant' just plain 'Government' would do me

Thanks

Meaningless as the pronounciation of any letter or sequence depends on the context. O sometimes is U sounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

'

If you want to pronounce the o in government properly, that's exactly how it needs to be pronounced. Otherwise, you're just pronouncing it guvernment the same as CH (and half the country), except slightly less emphatically.

Who even cares?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is Shanley now permanent on the Late Debate? Yuk, I really don't like her personality.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Is Shanley now permanent on the Late Debate? Yuk, I really don't like her personality.

Me neither, a bit too ' clipped' in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cormac doing a stellar job on Drivetime this week.
    He gets to the point quickly and has no problem demanding answers from his quarry

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cormac doing a stellar job on Drivetime this week.
    He gets to the point quickly and has no problem demanding answers from his quarry

Yes, agree with that view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

He is very good in that slot alright, would be a great permanent replacement, but I don't like the way he cuts across people so abruptly.

washiskin wrote: »
    He is very good in that slot alright, would be a great permanent replacement, but I don't like the way he cuts across people so abruptly.

Hmmmm in a ' hard news' prog. you have to do that, I feel, otherwise the subject will just waffle on.

Jury is out in my assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

washiskin wrote: »

Agree with all of the above. He says "Answer the question" a lot. Think that himself and Mary Wilson are a good combination.

honeybear wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above. He says "Answer the question" a lot. Think that himself and Mary Wilson are a good combination.
    Wha?
    Wilson should be transferred asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Upon rereading this thread, Brendan Bendar, the tone of your posts reminds me so much of the thread-starter (Flutterinbantam), albeit thankfully without his tedious obsession with all things scatological.

RayM wrote: »
    Upon rereading this thread, Brendan Bendar, the tone of your posts reminds me so much of the thread-starter (Flutterinbantam), albeit thankfully without his tedious obsession with all things scatological.

I must study his posting, and check and see if that is a compliment or an insult:D

I've never seem a radio show step by step layout before

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0YL3zhWgAAdTPb.jpg:large

did anyone hear Wednesday night's Late Date, and the showdown between Elaine Byrne and Cormac Ó hEadhra?

Byrne was speaking over other people all night, and even seemed to assume the position of interviewer, arduously musclining in on Cormac's phone interview with a member of St Vincent's hospital Board.

When Ó hEadhra threatened that he was 'damn near' throwing Elaine Byrne and Mattie McGrath out of the studio for noisy bickering, Elaine Byrne assumed Victim Mode, and railed about how badly she was treated by Ó hEadhra in tge past, and how on a previous panel, she had been 'rescued ' only by another female panellist.

Does anyone else get the impression that Elaine Byrne has a serious chip on her shoulder? Anytime she is criticised she seems to play the gender card, and imply that she is being mistreated because of her gender. It's so tiresome.

Cormac Ó hEadhra is among the very best of RTÉ political hosts, and at the end of the show, he was big enough to apologise to Elaine Byrne and try to make light of her cringeworthy tantrum... I really fail to understand why she can't behave as civilly as other guests, both make and female, when she goes on radio and TV panels.

I saw a similar outburst from her on Vincent Browne and (I think) Claire Byrne... it's all a bit tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I didn't hear all of Wednesday's show but I don't like Elaine Byrne's tone at all - she comes across as a bit of a madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Good presenter , he does over pronounce his gaeilge name though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

did anyone hear Wednesday night's Late Date, and the showdown between Elaine Byrne and Cormac ? hEadhra?

Byrne was speaking over other people all night, and even seemed to assume the position of interviewer, arduously musclining in on Cormac's phone interview with a member of St Vincent's hospital Board.

When ? hEadhra threatened that he was 'damn near' throwing Elaine Byrne and Mattie McGrath out of the studio for noisy bickering, Elaine Byrne assumed Victim Mode, and railed about how badly she was treated by ? hEadhra in tge past, and how on a previous panel, she had been 'rescued ' only by another female panellist.

Does anyone else get the impression that Elaine Byrne has a serious chip on her shoulder? Anytime she is criticised she seems to play the gender card, and imply that she is being mistreated because of her gender. It's so tiresome.

Cormac ? hEadhra is among the very best of RT? political hosts, and at the end of the show, he was big enough to apologise to Elaine Byrne and try to make light of her cringeworthy tantrum... I really fail to understand why she can't behave as civilly as other guests, both make and female, when she goes on radio and TV panels.

I saw a similar outburst from her on Vincent Browne and (I think) Claire Byrne... it's all a bit tedious.

In fairness she was dead right about the verbal diarrhoea coming out of Mattie McGraths mouth.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Cormac Ó hEadhra is among the very best of RTÉ political hosts..

Not sure I quite agree. He's just a bit too ready to thrust his opinion. Works OK on Late Debate format but I heard him last week for example interviewing some British politician in the morning and he was just too pushy and yer man put Cormac back in his box sharpish.

Maybe he's a good 'political host' but running a general purpose news programme requires more balance and poise.

Not sure I quite agree. He's just a bit too ready to thrust his opinion. Works OK on Late Debate format but I heard him last week for example interviewing some British politician in the morning and he was just too pushy and yer man put Cormac back in his box sharpish.

Maybe he's a good 'political host' but running a general purpose news programme requires more balance and poise.

Don't agree totally either, heard that interview with the British pol. and agree with your view.

Recently he seems to have lost a bit of control in the Late Debate where he lets a couple of 'mouths' for want of a better word take over and the 'debate' descends into unintellagable noise with Cormac vainly pleading for people to "Hang on now a minute".

Room for improvement I would say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Totally outclassed today by a retired judge today. He is a hippy communist and anti-American:D. Can RTE hire one right wing reporter or would that disqualify you from RTE?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus, what an unpleasant host. Constant interruption, an insistent tone of voice, probably thinks he is being dynamic rather than disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jasus, what an unpleasant host. Constant interruption, an insistent tone of voice, probably thinks he is being dynamic rather than disruptive.

And Claire Byrne never interrupted anyone???:confused:

and what about her? She's gone. Lets talk about hEadhra

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cormac is excellent.
    He asks proper questions and keeps pressing until he gets answers.

It's not his fault Paul Kehoe FG & Brian Cowen FF are screaming at each other, and are excluding the other three guests and the host.

That's true, one of them (midlands?) was ludicrous as he elbowed his bailiwick into every aspect of the conversation. I though he was going to say "we have a port as well you know" at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Asks if there is a conflict of interest that our TDs are landlords, and both landlords Kehoe and Cowen shy away
    *squirm* *squirm*

Advertisement