Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Primary school English Irish and Religion : anyone remember 'Myth and Magic'?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

Ok, so I was watching Don't Tell the Bride and it was set in Yorkshire, and in the background was the White Horse on the Hill, after excitedly trying to tell my hubby the story about the man going to get the doctor for his wife in the rain, and the mysterious white horse appearing to get him there just in time, and the next day the locals noticing how dirty the White Horse on the Hill was.... as if he had been running through muck all night.... anyway, can't remember the exact details of it but have googled and googled and cannot find the story - I think it was just called "The White Horse on the Hill".
    There was also another short story about a tidal wave coming to a town, and all the animals and birds could sense it and one old man, it may have been called "The Old Man and the Sea" but might be something totally different.
    If anyone can remember any more of these 2 I would love to hear, thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

cleanslate wrote: »
    Ok, so I was watching Don't Tell the Bride and it was set in Yorkshire, and in the background was the White Horse on the Hill, after excitedly trying to tell my hubby the story about the man going to get the doctor for his wife in the rain, and the mysterious white horse appearing to get him there just in time, and the next day the locals noticing how dirty the White Horse on the Hill was.... as if he had been running through muck all night.... anyway, can't remember the exact details of it but have googled and googled and cannot find the story - I think it was just called "The White Horse on the Hill".
    There was also another short story about a tidal wave coming to a town, and all the animals and birds could sense it and one old man, it may have been called "The Old Man and the Sea" but might be something totally different.
    If anyone can remember any more of these 2 I would love to hear, thanks!

The one about the horse certainly rings a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tedandshelia

Jaygon I have anne and Barry stage one book 1 .
    Animal friends stage 2 book 3
    Away to fairyland stage 2 book 4
    Myth and magic stage 2 book. 5

Anyone know what age group each of mine is for?

[quote="Jaygon200
    Stage Two : Book One At the Zoo (Ann and Barry) (Have it)
    Stage Two : Book Two Happy Days (Ann and Barry) (Have

Stage Three Book One: Flying Colours
    Stage Three Book Two: Silver Springs
    Stage Four Book One : Treasure Seekers
    Stage Four Book Two : Crock of Gold

Can anybody remember what the missing reader was called, it would have been from second class, I vaguely remember it having a story in it about Midas and the golder touch (although maybe this was in 'Myth and Magic' which I am also missing!

For Irish : Lorcain agus lúsaí luch etc.
    I have all of these with the exception of the pre-reader which was called 'Tús ré'

Lúsaí
    Pól agus a chairde
    Seán agus an fathach
    Diarmuid an dragúin
    An fear sneachta
    Scéalta scoile
    Ispíní agus subh
    Peadar Pluaise
    Spaslong
    Tine Chnámh
    Dioscó na mbó

Hope I haven't forgotton to type one.

I also have tracked down all (but one) of the religion tapes with all those old songs! If anybody else has tracked these, I am missing the tape from senior infants.

Hopefully someone's memory will also fill in the missing English reader![/quote]

Don't think any of the books mentioned are on here but its interesting all the same.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/retro-irish-school-books-760321-Jan2013/

I remember an English book that my older brother had in secondary school,it might have been Soundings can't be sure but it had some strange illustrations that at the time I found quite creepy.

This image which I found out years later was by M.C. Escher

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmmy56dN6mIDMlasqHIgUC2PPvBPimaSEkbe_djp68IZmf0V-jXjZn_5M

This one by Magritte.In the book the image of the dead naked woman was cropped out which made it even more weird,I remember looking at that picture and trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

the-threatened-assassin.jpg

Another one that I only found out years later was also by Magritte,this one really unnerved me.

tumblr_lj9cm4JdpR1qb9yj1o1_500.jpg

Anyone else remember this book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Kityjoe

I've managed to get my hands on the crock of Gold, silver springs and Myth and magic. I'm just wondering if anyone is getting rid of flying colours, the golden gate and treasure seekers. Been searching a long time for these and hoping someone has them that doesn't want them any more. Please please please if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Did anyone else have this in primary school circa 82/83?

Advertisement