Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-06-2010, 12:56   #31
celticbest

There are only 10 countries who play test cricket, Ireland is not one of these although they have applied,

As far as I'm aware you cannot play one day, twenty/20 or say 40 over cricket for one country & test for another, this is why some choose to play for another country eg, Irish playing for England, so they have the opportunity to play test.

Maybe this will change if Ireland start playing test cricket.

Last edited by celticbest; 09-06-2010 at 13:01.
Advertisement
09-06-2010, 14:34   #32
TheDrog

my guess is his wages at middlesex are a lot lower than that, probably around 45,000 tops. I would guess that if he gets a central contract it will be lower end 160,000 because he is not particularly senior.

the one figure we do know is that he got $220,000 for his Indian stint
12-06-2010, 13:59   #33
dirtyden

Thanks for the replies, 220K for a few weeks work in India is not bad at all. I'm guessing that is something he could not have hoped to achieve while remaining associated with Ireland. He may even pocket an MBE in the queens awards as well for the 20/20 world cup.
16-09-2010, 17:12   #34
worm_tongue

Ed Joyce and Ireland

Noticed that Ed Joyce not playing for Sussex the last few days, is this due to injury or loss of form?
In addition any news on his rumoured move to return representing Ireland?
16-09-2010, 18:03   #35
djimi

Whats with the rolley eyes?

He missed the current CC match thru illness apparently.

Hes hoping to be allowed to represent Ireland at the world cup in February, even tho he isnt technically eligable for a little while after the world cup.
Advertisement
16-09-2010, 21:59   #36
crackit

I'd say the rolly eyes are a person displeasure at Joyce jumping ship to play for England then when he inevitably got dumped by them after less than 20 ODIs running back to Ireland at the first available opportunity.

A quality player who could have helped progress the cause of Irish cricket had he stayed with us and played every game for the 5 years he spent not playing for England.

The only thing that bothers me about his return to Ireland are the interviews I've read recently in which he's still banging on about playing for England.
16-09-2010, 23:38   #37
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackit View Post

The only thing that bothers me about his return to Ireland are the interviews I've read recently in which he's still banging on about playing for England.
Out of interest how recent is recently? I know he was still talking about England last year but I haven't heard anything since then
16-09-2010, 23:55   #38
djimi

No nor have I tbh. The last few times Ive heard him talk its been about wanting to return to play for Ireland.

Quote:
I'd say the rolly eyes are a person displeasure at Joyce jumping ship to play for England then when he inevitably got dumped by them after less than 20 ODIs running back to Ireland at the first available opportunity.
Would people prefer that he never came back? Are there people out there who, out of spite for a decision he made in an effort to enhance his career beyond the constraints of playing for his home country, would prefer that there be a player of the calibre of Ed Joyce out there, who is eligibe to play for Ireland but didnt play for us?
17-09-2010, 00:15   #39
crackit

I'm not saying he hasn't said he wants to return to Ireland. In the interview I read (maybe in TWC) within the last 2 months he, and I'll paraphrase here, said something along the lines of he knows he's good enough to play for england and he would still welcome the chance to do so but since its not going to happen he's more than happy to play for Ireland once more.
Advertisement
17-09-2010, 00:15   #40
riffmongous

I can understand why people would be be spiteful towards Joyce, but I would like to see him come back, prodigal son style.

Unfortunately the whole situation is pretty ridiculous, when one of the main problems people have with Ireland is the amount of foreign born players on our team, while at the same time the two best Irish born batsmen are trying to play for England, and how long before Dockrell and Stirling are picked up?
17-09-2010, 00:17   #41
riffmongous

Quote:
he would still welcome the chance to do so but since its not going to happen he's more than happy to play for Ireland once more.
I was hoping he wouldn't say something like that, might be interpreted as being a little ungrateful
17-09-2010, 00:29   #42
crackit

Yep, thats what I thought when I read it. I just said to myself can you not keep your gob shut. You know they won't pick you so saying stuff like this is only going to serve to rile some people.

We all know he'd rather play for england than Ireland but to mention his ambitions again 5 years down the road and just as he is about to come back into the fold struck me as a stupid.

I welcome him back for the record. I think it will benefit Irelands cause greatly for another 5 (maybe?) years.
17-09-2010, 00:29   #43
MRPRO03

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
I can understand why people would be be spiteful towards Joyce, but I would like to see him come back, prodigal son style.

Unfortunately the whole situation is pretty ridiculous, when one of the main problems people have with Ireland is the amount of foreign born players on our team, while at the same time the two best Irish born batsmen are trying to play for England, and how long before Dockrell and Stirling are picked up?
The point about the foreign players playing for Ireland is a different to Joyce and Morgan, Those players had to be Irish citizens or passport holders and some had to wait 5 or so years in order to attain this and also, they did not play for their nations at all, where as Joyce and Morgan played for Ireland in sanctioned matches by the ICC and all they had to do was spend 175+ days in England to qualify.

Those rules are just ridiculous, like you say, other talented players will be picked off. I personally hate the system but hate the players even more, they can go on about the ''playing at the highest level'' and want to test themselves in Test Matches all they want, the simple reason is, they are greedy, the only the reason they did what they did was cause a better pay packet. How can anyone welcome them back into the team at their own will, just annoys me. They rather choose money and than represent you country with pride.
17-09-2010, 00:43   #44
riffmongous

Quote:
Yep, thats what I thought when I read it. I just said to myself can you not keep your gob shut. You know they won't pick you so saying stuff like this is only going to serve to rile some people.
Exactly.

Quote:
MRPRO03: How can anyone welcome them back into the team at their own will, just annoys me. They rather choose money and than represent you country with pride.
I understand this point of view, thats how I always felt about Morgan who made no secret of his desire to play for England. But when we get the situation we have at the moment not accepting them back doesn't accomplish anything at all
17-09-2010, 00:51   #45
MRPRO03

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
I understand this point of view, thats how I always felt about Morgan who made no secret of his desire to play for England. But when we get the situation we have at the moment not accepting them back doesn't accomplish anything at all
If a player is not committed to play for you, what makes them committed many years later. They would have an agenda, all about impressing other nations than the fans that follow the team. Wait till Ed Joyce and Hamish Marshall come, they will be not playing for Ireland, but for England 'B' and New Zealand 'B'. The other players that have always played for Ireland would be affected by this no doubt, what about the players that are dropped, they lose confidence cause of this and the whole team would be worse off when these players leave once again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion