Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The serious thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sarky.....its something I've been thinking about for a while. TCN has slowly been returning to its former glory....dare I ask.....

Sould we open that thread?

Some things are better for the anticipation. I'm not sure TCN could handle that thread right now. Perhaps, in time...
    Sarky, in all seriousness.

Can I put it in your bum?

Thank you, but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I demand to know what that thread is. NAO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

funky wants to open up sarkys (large) orfice.
    he wants to step into it.

This is also what I assumed.

Perhaps, as I said, in time. When I can be sure my orifice will be treated with the reverence and respect it deserves.

Sarky, it's story time. I was gonna pm you, but this is better. Gimme a brief history of the nest there please? How it came to be, what was it like back in t'day, why doesn't amp post anehmore and why ain't he a mod?

• Advertisement

Brief history:

This thread is where DeVore announced the creation of TCN and the Thunderdome.

Both fora started out with very high signal:noise ratios. Here is an example of the better kind of early Thunderdome thread, where flame wars from another forum were moved there to be continued, often with the main culprits completely unaware that their precious thread had moved or that the Thunderdome was where flaming was mandatory. Note the change in forum tone in the last 10 pages or so, when some idiot dragged the thread up after 3-4 years, and you'll see why I no longer bother with the place. Here is an example of a TCN thread. It was always a very strange and chaotic place. There was never such a thing as a typical TCN thread.

Both fora underwent changes a few years down the line. For whatever reason (I stopped paying attention to Thunderdome when the sodomy insults became the norm), the Thunderdome ended up having moderators and a charter, and became a simple insult forum. TCN ended up with pretty much no moderator and a bunch of users who thought they could ignore the charter and do as they pleased. That's about the time the reputation of TCN went downhill from one of the most interesting places on the site to the Forum For Special Snowflakes. That finally ended with the appointment of myself and Tar to help out SMAK, who just isn't around very much at all these days.

Part of the reason for the slide was because amp stopped caring and left. Now, amp was just about as oldskool as they come. He knew internets. He knew funny. He certainly knew silly. He wasn't the first moderator of TCN, but he was the longest-standing, and his unique brand of insanity and ruthless iron-fisted tyranny allowed the place to thrive. TCN was very popular during his reign and several spinoff fora arose from it, some of which are still going strong.

Some say he went mad. Others that he saw the massive influx of new users over the previous years, and was sickened by their stupidity and lack of creativity. To this day, the true reasons for amp leaving are likely known only to amp and a few of his trusted admin friends who aren't going to talk about it.

Regardless of what caused it, this thread is his final public comminication with the people of Boards.ie. He spammed it over several fora, as well as moving a vast amount of TCN threads to other categories, seemingly at random. After that, he just disappeared. The only people rejoicing were muppets.

I miss Amp. Not that you aren't doing a fine job. He's the reason I learned how to capitalize my letters. :(
    he taught me how to upload photos. :(
    he needs to come back. Can you offer him sexual favours
    sarky?

Alas, amp really has disappeared. If he wanted to come back, he would be here, and things would be very interesting indeed. He did a lot of good for this website. He was never cowed by whiny bleating people with inflated senses of entitlement, and he never compromised his own values. Boards.ie would be a far better place with more users like him. Maybe someday he'll come back, but until then he'll stick to his guns and follow his own path.

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Wow, I didn't know pam had left. He was always great for a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The whole "destabilising the site by throwing a childish tantrum and merging and moving mega threads" thing sullied his departure somewhat mind you...

Somewhat. I wasn't really there at the time because, well, I thought all the newbies were ruining the place, so I guess it didn't affect me much. Thus I'm probably biased but I still see more of the crazy/good as oppoed to the crazy/bad.

Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't do something similar myself at the time. I think it's a shame both that amp left, and that he left in the way he did.

Are any of the people that drove amp mental still here?

Most of them are probably moderators now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

It's a beautifull piece of literature though. Thanks for the story Sarkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Kharn wrote: »
    The whole "destabilising the site by throwing a childish tantrum and merging and moving mega threads" thing sullied his departure somewhat mind you...

well, he was moderating tCN.....it does have that effect on people, so you could say he went out in an appropriate (mad) kindof way.....

I have this overwhelming urge to try stalk him, I'd even splash out on a facebook to find him.
    Mentally unstable, he sounds like the kind of guys Im into.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You have a facebook, you just don't use it. All hail Amp!

All hail amp

Amen.

• Advertisement

I do have a serious question - I thought the Nest didn't show up on Google and all that (no postcount etc ect). But it does?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm fairly sure all public fora are index-able regardless of post count. Only private and hidden fora are not, as the search engines, not having the correct access permissions, cannot view the content :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's on google ye, just not front page of boards.

It is on the front page, I've seen it.

Fago! wrote: »
    It is on the front page, I've seen it.

Jup, same here.

Must have changed since it was made so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

dun dun dunnnn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Think you're so funny with your "dun dun dun" film music. I PISS ALL OVER YOUR BALLS!

1 month off for not taking this thread seriously. It will be permanent from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

why are only the most resent 6 pages of forum topics available?

will the archives be continually available by search?

Advertisement