Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Does anybody else find that Friday is a sh1t day always at the office? Thinking of playing on the market till Thursday and knocking it on the head then till Monday.

Plenty people out there who do just that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What do you think the markets will do tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

bilbot79 wrote: »

Something that very few people will predict correctly ;)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Does anybody else find that Friday is a sh1t day always at the office? Thinking of playing on the market till Thursday and knocking it on the head then till Monday.
    Markets closed this Friday for Easter if you're thinking of doing it.

Main lesson from the past month has been to not try to guess what the market is gonna do. If you're in it long, stay in and ride it out. If you did your strategy last Friday and closed your positions you'd have missed yesterday's pre-market rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Sooooo. I've been holding cash waiting and waiting. Have I missed it??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

DM1983 wrote: »

Plenty of ups and downs yet to come. You still have your cash so that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

bilbot79 wrote: »

Open

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

DM1983 wrote: »

I would severely doubt it. I don't know so don't listen to me, but there are many stocks out there that are above their price a year ago. I still imagine a lot of drops and rallies to come for months yet before there"s anything like normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

sure man, apparently Saudis bought a huge chunk of Carnival...that news is pushing it up.

it certainly is, up 25% on LSE already!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

TRS30 wrote: »
    it certainly is, up 25% on LSE already!

It is. But last month it already went down to 600 GBX before recovering to 1200 and dropping to 600 again. I would not chance making predictions about where it is going next!

Possibly some opportunities with the right trades, but handle with care :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Easyjet up 25%, Ryanair up 8%, Asos up 27%

Still think its a dead cat bounce

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I dont think it's a dead cat bounce, but it's an uptick based on nothing.
    Flights have not increased, most of the world is still on lockdown, no vaccine has been found.
    Time to take gains if you're in profit and wait for the next fall to buy in again imo.

I'm up 25% on AAL - which is the only stock I have left - and will be selling as soon as market opens. I have the rest of my profits and capital sitting in my account waiting for the next down wave trough

retalivity wrote: »

Same here, but hard to keep composure with these moves!

IMO airlines (and anything travel related) are quite a gamble. No doubt several of them are going bankrupt so you'd better pick the right ones! (if you get a surviving one which ends-up buying dirt cheap airplanes and slots from a bankrupt one you are good though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bob24 wrote: »
    It is. But last month it already went down to 600 GBX before recovering to 1200 and dropping to 600 again. I would chance making predictions about where it is going next!

Have been watching it for the last week or more, will keep an eye and if it drops back to 500 or so might get some. Will most likely dump thought if makes a decent jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Bob24 wrote: »
    It is. But last month it already went down to 600 GBX before recovering to 1200 and dropping to 600 again. I would not chance making predictions about where it is going next!

yep, it's been jumping up and down...so definitely handle with care. closed my position with decent gains.

had easyjet and closed it last nite...feck it
    ELM327 wrote: »
    I dont think it's a dead cat bounce, but it's an uptick based on nothing.
    Flights have not increased, most of the world is still on lockdown, no vaccine has been found.
    Time to take gains if you're in profit and wait for the next fall to buy in again imo.

I'm up 25% on AAL - which is the only stock I have left - and will be selling as soon as market opens. I have the rest of my profits and capital sitting in my account waiting for the next down wave trough

AAL, have some hope it makes a decent run today :)

At the moment the best strategy, or at least the one I'm employing, is to buy in at close to what looks like the bottom, and sell when you've made a reasonable profit.
    You may miss the absolute bottom or the absolute peak of that wave and trough but pretty much everything (esp travel and fintech) seems to be super volatile at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

ELM327 wrote: »
    At the moment the best strategy, or at least the one I'm employing, is to buy in at close to what looks like the bottom, and sell when you've made a reasonable profit.
    You may miss the absolute bottom or the absolute peak of that wave and trough but pretty much everything (esp travel and fintech) seems to be super volatile at the moment.

So buy low sell high 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

get in, get out with +20%. Repeat 3 times and you have 72.8% gain.

Kilboor wrote: »
    So buy low sell high ����
    Exactly.
    Isnt that always the way :pac::pac::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I have suspicions about the Saudis/Carnival thing. They bought the stock, told everyone about it, stock price jumped and they make a quick buck. The Saudis could sell now on a 30% 2 day profit

• Advertisement

voluntary wrote: »
    get in, get out with +20%. Repeat 3 times and you have 72.8% gain.

That's a better way of explaining what I was saying above.
    A nuanced buy low and sell high strategy!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I have suspicions about the Saudis/Carnival thing. They bought the stock, told everyone about it, stock price jumped and they make a quick buck. The Saudis could sell now on a 30% 2 day profit
    Yes, I doubt the SEC has as much control in saudi as it does of Elon!

Shedite27 wrote: »

If that is their plan, I'll pick up some share after they have sold and the prices collapses :-)

Could they also be trying to acquire the company/ships on the cheap to somewhat try and create a Saudi cruise line?

Saudis have a huge sovereign fund and have investments in some Big conglomerates..however this is the first time it seems they're investing in a distressed company...they're cruseing for brewsing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

Agree 100%. Boeing is even on the way up.

good advise from Mark Mobius

think we'll definitely touch the lows again, no point chasing them now.

I'm thinking today is another up day. Maybe gonna sell in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'd be wary of profit taking today, huge jumps in the last two days. If you're up might be a good idea to get out early.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd be wary of profit taking today, huge jumps in the last two days. If you're up might be a good idea to get out early.

You might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Think i will hold onto what i have until Thursday . I am currently up about 8% from what i bought at, if i was up 10% i would be happy to sell and sit back and watch from the sidelines until the next drop.

• Advertisement

Think this rally will fizzle out by CoB today, the markets are nearly 15% up in just two days there will be a lot of profit booking pressure I guess.

Advertisement