Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 NFL Draft

• 03-03-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

2020_nfl_draft_logo_DL_1.jpg?itok=aiLSCp42

Date(s): Thursday 23rd April - Saturday 25th April

Here is the draft order for the first round:

1. Cincinnati Bengals

2. Washington Redskins

3. Detroit Lions

4. New York Giants

5. Miami Dolphins

6. Los Angeles Chargers

7. Carolina Panthers

8. Arizona Cardinals

9. Jacksonville Jaguars

10. Cleveland Browns

11. New York Jets

12. Las Vegas Raiders

13. Indianapolis Colts

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

15. Denver Broncos

16. Atlanta Falcons

17. Dallas Cowboys

18. Miami Dolphins (from Pittsburgh Steelers)

19. Las Vegas Raiders (from Chicago Bears)

20. Jacksonville Jaguars (from LA Rams)

21. Philadelphia Eagles

22. Buffalo Bills

23. New England Patriots

24. New Orleans Saints

25. Minnesota Vikings

26. Miami Dolphins (from Houston Texans)

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Baltimore Ravens

29. Tennessee Titans

30. Green Bay Packers

31. San Francisco 49'ers

32. Kansas City Chiefs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Here are a couple of mock drafts post the combine.

SI Mock Draft

Bleacher Report Mock Draft

Joe Burrows and Chase Young are just about guaranteed to go one and two but from there it is anyone's guess as a few teams can go up to get a quarterback with the health of Tua Tagovailoa an intriguing one as which team will take the gamble.

Looks a good draft for some good quality offensive linesmen and it looks like there is a lot of depth at wide receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Very interested to see where Tua and Herbert go, as that will shape a lot of the draft for other teams.

Would love Giants to trade down from 4 and grab a lineman like Wills or Thomas. When you consider Becton and Wirfs are also highly projected, you could realistically see Giants being able to trade down to 10-14 range and still pick up one of those 4.

Other option is go defense at 4, with Simmons or Okudah. I'd definitely prefer OL and trading down, though.

What does everyone else see their team doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

For the Colts, I see Chris Ballard will look to draft a QB, even if he brings in a veteran as a bridge QB. From his press conferences and interviews, reading between the lines, they don't see Jacoby Brissett as the long term answer.

I think there will be a run of offensive tackles early, with 4 OTs separating from the pack (Thomas, Wirfs, Bacton and Wills).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

My Ravens need a edge rusher, defensive tackle, a guard and wide receiver in that order.

Absolutely vital we add something to the pass rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

As of today, the NFL still plan to hold and televise the Draft on April 23rd-25th in Las Vegas but have cancelled the public events around it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

VillaMad wrote: »
    As of today, the NFL still plan to hold and televise the Draft on April 23rd-25th in Las Vegas but have cancelled the public events around it.

So no boats across the Bellagio lake? Damn!

Roger Goodell on stage, in full hazmat suit, hugging all the players will be a joy.

Or is that bit gone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

With the draft looking like it is going ahead, this is a serious challenge facing teams

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1243517666633138176?s=20

Even with the combine, pro-days, hand measurements, stupid interview questions, game tape etc, a lot of selections don't pan out so I'm quite looking forward to this year's draft and how the players end up.

Even with the combine, pro-days, hand measurements, stupid interview questions, game tape etc, a lot of selections don't pan out so I'm quite looking forward to this year's draft and how the players end up.

Likely a lot of teams will strike even more gold than normal with UDFAs, as a portion of teams will lean on guys with tests than gambling and guys will end up going undrafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

A couple of friends and myself done a 1st round mock over the weekend. I've thrown it down below with a couple of comments for some of the picks. Theres also a couple of trades in it, but wasnt really sure of the value of future picks so we just tried to base them off similar trades in the past. My picks were the Panthers, Jets, the first Raiders pick, the Pats, the Packers and the second 49ers pick. Fire all criticism/comments my way:D

1. Bengals – QB - Joe Burrow

2. Redskins – Edge - Chase Young

3. Detroit – TRADE Chargers give Lions 2020 pick 6, pick 37 picks 71 and 2021 2nd round – QB -Tua Tagovailoa
    “Chargers jump ahead of the Dolphins to get Tua. Chargers to stick with Tyrod Taylor for this season, which will give Tua a season to rehab his hip injuries. Chargers hope the Hawain native will be the face of the LA franchise for many years to come”

4. Giants – OL - Mekhi Becton
    “A giant’s fan on our discord was not happy with this pick. But the stand in GM made the point that Becton’s physicals are exactly what Gettleman will be looking for, he reckons he will fall in love with how high Becton’s ceiling could be”

5. Dolphins – QB - Justin Hubert
    “Miami settles for the next QB on their list, I don’t think this is the best way to go and we are likely to see Fitzmagic starting in South Florida come September”

6. Chargers - traded to lions – CB - Jeff Okudah

7. Panthers – LB/S - Isaiah Simmons

8. Cardinals – OL - Jedrick Wills

9. Jags – TRADE Jets give Jags 2020 pick 11, 79 and 158 – OL - Andrew Thomas
    “The Jets don’t want to take the risk of the two remaining top tier tackles going at 9 and 10, so they jump the Browns and have their choice of the two. They go with Thomas who spent most of his college career at LT over Wirfs who spent more time at RT”

10. Browns – OL - Tristan Wirfs

11. Jets – traded to the Jags – DL - Derrick Brown

12. Raiders – WR - Jerry Jeudy

13. 49ers – WR - Ceedee Lamb

14. Bucs – OL - Josh Jones
    “Some felt this was a reach, but the GM commented that the Buccs main priority right now is to protect Tom Brady. They have receiving options with Evans, Godwin and Howard, they could do with a RB but he felt there was none worth taking here. He also pointed out that Jones had PFFs highest pass protection grade for college tackles”

15. Broncos – WR - Henry Ruggs lll
    “Broncos are delighted to get a speedster to go opposite Sutton. They’re giving Drew Lock the tools to help him succeed”

16. Falcons – CB - CJ Henderson

17. Cowboys – EDGE - K’Lavon Chaisson

18. Dolphins – iOL - Cesar Ruiz

19. Raiders – CB - Kristan Fulton

20. Jags - TRADE Saints give Jags pick 24 and 88 for pick 20 – WR - Justin Jefferson
    “Saints got a little trigger finger happy here, but they had their eye on a receiver to go opposite Thomas and with the Eagles/Vikings/Patriots who could all benefit from taking a WR, they weren’t willing to take the chance of him not being there. Jefferson is another weapon for Brees, but you have to feel they’re super bowl window id rapidly closing”

21. Eagles – EDGE - AJ Epenesa

22. Vikings – WR - Tee Higgins

23. Patriots – QB - Jordan Love
    “this was one of my picks and I hadn’t a clue who to go with. The Pats have holes all over their roster and I did look to trade down to add to the 12? Picks they already have. Decided to go with QB, Stidham is a youngster and the only season game time I saw him in, he threw an INT straight into Jamal Adams bread basket and Hoyer definitely isn’t the answer. I think WR, LB, OL, DL could have all made sense here”

24. Saints – Traded to the Jags – CB - Trevon Diggs

25. Vikings – CB - Jaylon Johnson

26. Dolphins – S - Xavier McKinney

27. Seahawks – DL - Javon Kinlaw
    “Not my pick, but the Seahawks got the steal of the 1st round with this pick imo”

28. Ravens – LB - Kenneth Murray

29. Titans – EDGE - Yetur Gross-Matos

30. Packers – WR - Denzel Mims

31. 49ers - CB - Jeff Gladney

32. Chiefs – CB - AJ Terrell

Put me down as another Giants fan who would not be a fan of Becton at 4.

I'd have Wills, Thomas and Wirfs all ahead of him, and probably in that order.

A trade down would still allow them to get any of those 4 in the top 10 picks, you would think.

Knex. wrote: »
    Put me down as another Giants fan who would not be a fan of Becton at 4.

I'd have Wills, Thomas and Wirfs all ahead of him, and probably in that order.

A trade down would still allow them to get any of those 4 in the top 10 picks, you would think.

I think if they were to trade down and still get a top tackle they'd what to get in before the cardinals as there's a real chance that the Cardinals, Jags, Browns and Jets would all be looking to take one

phatkev wrote: »
    13. 49ers – WR - Ceedee Lamb

31. 49ers - CB - Jeff Gladney

I would be pretty happy if the 49ers ended up with those picks.

At 13, the consensus is that they will go for one of the top 3 WRs and given that it is the biggest need, the group is such quality, and each are a great fit in the scheme in their own way it is probably the most likely scenario. I need to do more research to work out who is my favourite of the group but at this stage I'd be excited for any of them.

Having said all that, given that there will still be starter level WRs available at the 31st pick, or even from a trade back into the 2nd, it is possible that the team goes another direction. That would likely be if one of the top athletic OTs fall (they don't here), if they decide to fill the hole left at DT by the trade of Buckner (Brown is gone here but Kinlaw is on the board), or they go CB to learn across from Sherman (Henderson is available here). I need to again do more research on each of those options but as of now I wouldn't be mad with any of those choices, even if DL again or development OT are a bit boring.

At 31, Gladley should be starter ready but his size and athleticism dont quite fill the prototype the team goes for at CB. Most of the secondary is out of contract at the end of 2020 so the move does make sense but I'm not sure of the value here given the big run on CBs. Everyone always wants their team to trade back and get a bunch of great picks but presuming that is off the table I would have jumped at Austin Jackson out of USC. He is pretty raw but the athletic profile is great and he can sit behind Staley until he likely retires at the end of the season or potentially fill in at guard, where the team has been weak.

Is there much interest in the Patriots drafting Jordan Love? Looks like they are going to back Jarrett Stidham. That said, I don't see the fit with Love to the Patriots' offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

letowski wrote: »
    Is there much interest in the Patriots drafting Jordan Love? Looks like they are going to back Jarrett Stidham. That said, I don't see the fit with Love to the Patriots' offense.

I've seen people moot it on Reddit. Suppose the question is what the defense will be with Brady? He was the system, everything was built around him and his unparalleled ability to read the game.

Fully virtual draft, all GMs/owners/coaches must do it from their own homes.

I'm sure certain teams will break those rules but it makes sense for them to be there. Definitely could cause some chaos though on draft night.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1247231339994234880?s=20

I can see it now, the Bengals letting the clock run down to the final seconds ( even though the whole world and their mother know they'll go with Burrow). The 10 second mark hits and theres a state wide blackout in Ohio and they come back online to find they've drafted a punter!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope they don't have autodraft on, they could end up with a fullback from the first round.

Fantasy football has never been more realistic.

• Advertisement

In some respects the draft could be alot better this year.

There will be none of this waiting for Goodell to walk out on stage, then next thing there is an under 10 football coming out, then there is a big speech, then interviews, etc. Hopefully all that nonsense will be gone this year, with only just the picks and analysis from TV station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

letowski wrote: »
    In some respects the draft could be alot better this year.

There will be none of this waiting for Goodell to walk out on stage, then next thing there is an under 10 football coming out, then there is a big speech, then interviews, etc. Hopefully all that nonsense will be gone this year, with only just the picks and analysis from TV station.

It's still on American TV - the theatrics will still be flowing!

I've never been one to watch the draft as the whole ceremony aspect of it doesn't interest me at all but I think I might stay up and watch the first round this year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, its probably the closest thing we will get to live sport this year.

gstack166 wrote: »

Bleacher Report suggesting the Browns and Broncos have opened trade talks about the #10 pick.

Jump up to grab their choice of WR? You'd be made to make this trade before seeing what way the board falls though.
    I seen talk on Twitter of the Jets/Falcons swapping #11 for #16 as well. While the Jets could do with picking up as many picks as possible they also desperately need an OT and what ever chance they have of getting a top tackle at 11, they'll have no chance at 16

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I hope they don't have autodraft on, they could end up with a fullback from the first round.

lol last year autodraft gave me Andrew Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Irish time what time is round 1 due to kick off?

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote:
    Irish time what time is round 1 due to kick off?

Midnight. First round usually takes 4 hours at least. Could be quicker this year.

Advertisement