Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

06-04-2020, 13:51   #1066
Mc Love

Went for a brief (15-20 min) cycle this morning. Did me the absolute world of good, and I feel much better as a result. I was nervous and apprehensive but there was nobody about bar one walker (around 7am). Not one single car passed me
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-04-2020, 14:33   #1067
railer201

Anyone interested in knocking up a DIY cotton mask for themselves and they seem to be coming into vogue listening to the news atm, here's a handy design incorporating 3 cotton layers. Washable and re-usable too.

More in depth discussion on masks in a thread over on the Corona Virus sub-forum so that's not the intention here - except to link to the YouTube video for those interested in making one or more.

There are other designs aplenty of course on YouTube to choose from - I just like the appearance of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU
06-04-2020, 15:25   #1068
terrydel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim76 View Post
If they want people to keep exercise within a certain time limit then they need to clearly define what that time limit is instead of using ambiguous phrases like "brief".

If they aren't too bothered how long people go out for then vague language like this is certainly the way to go.

Personally, I think that the time allowed and the frequency (i.e. one session a day) needs to be clarified otherwise people will just take the p*ss.
They are working off the assumption that people have the general cop on to work it out for themselves, and not be the selfish ars*s they clearly have decided to be.
Obviously these people now need to be spoon fed because they cant manage it themselves.
Thanks from:
06-04-2020, 16:16   #1069
Dubba

https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-...67729-Apr2020/

"Varadkar said he does not feel there is a need to arrest people for failing to comply with Covid-19 restrictions as there has been widespread compliance."

Clearly the number of people who are flouting the rules are only a tiny minority.
(5) thanks from:
06-04-2020, 21:01   #1070
Large bottle small glass

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...21438?mode=amp

He was cycling up to about 6 or 7 years ago.

About 10 years or so he was doing a 3 day cycle from Galway to Clonmel, via Portumna and Nenagh I think.

At the end of day 2 he got to Nenagh early so decided not to bother with B&B and cycled home!!

I forget why he quit cycling, I must ask
Advertisement
06-04-2020, 21:29   #1071
coastwatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large bottle small glass View Post

About 10 years or so he was doing a 3 day cycle from Galway to Clonmel, via Portumna and Nenagh I think.

At the end of day 2 he got to Nenagh early so decided not to bother with B&B and cycled home!!

Thanks for that.
That's a real tonic for these times.
He's 104, has seen it all before, and the photo of him charging his electric car!

We'll get through this.
(3) thanks from:
06-04-2020, 22:06   #1072
Wishbone Ash

I was preparing PPE orders for distribution today (as there was no one else to do it).

It seemed a bit grim adding body bags with the sanitiser, gowns, visors, masks etc.
06-04-2020, 22:08   #1073
EAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large bottle small glass View Post

Legend in my home from when I was a kid hearing about his epic spins. Learned to always check wind direction from those stories.
06-04-2020, 22:43   #1074
eeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
I was preparing PPE orders for distribution today (as there was no one else to do it).

It seemed a bit grim adding body bags with the sanitiser, gowns, visors, masks etc.
Jesus that is grim
Advertisement
07-04-2020, 07:56   #1075
buffalo

It's hilarious how much joggers are the new cyclists:

Quote:
A chara, – Up to 50 per cent of joggers I am seeing are not adhering to the two-metre guideline from the HSE when overtaking pedestrians.

It is disturbing watching some of them puffing and panting as they approach a pedestrian from behind and then brush shoulders as they overtake.

May I suggest to the HSE, that it tells all joggers they must wear high-vis clothing and must get on to to the road and provide the two-metre space when overtaking.

If a car is coming and it is too dangerous to get on the road, they should either stop or jog on the spot. – Is mise,

ALEX STAVELEY,
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/l...d-19-1.4222366

"Joggers are breaking the rules! They should wear hi-viz! Don't jog on the footpath! Don't block the traffic on the road!"
07-04-2020, 08:54   #1076
Tim76

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydel View Post
They are working off the assumption...
And that's the problem right there.

When you are working with large groups of people you need to use clear and concise language and avoid any room for interpretation.

They don't say you should stop at a red light light or that parking at the side of any given street is allowed for a brief time only. Specific instruction is given.

Relying on the "cop on" of the general public is a dangerous game.
Thanks from:
07-04-2020, 09:10   #1077
ronoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronoc View Post
Some of the commentry here is way over the top.

I live near a popular route and according to Strava and my own observations walking it it has been deserted. People are heeding the warnings.

People need to step away from their keyboards and hop on their turbos. You arent helping.

ps. 7 days on the roads are still virtually deserted around here. ( I walk them everyday) If anything I see slightly more cars on the road since the lock down started.

I have seen an increase in families with their children cycling on the roads due to less traffic which is great to see.
(4) thanks from:
07-04-2020, 09:47   #1078
Stark

Send a message via AIM to Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
It's hilarious how much joggers are the new cyclists:

"Joggers are breaking the rules! They should wear hi-viz! Don't jog on the footpath! Don't block the traffic on the road!"
The RSA approach to infection control. "You need to make yourself seen by the coronavirus so it won't infect you. Here's a ****ty vest".
07-04-2020, 10:22   #1079
eeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronoc View Post
ps. 7 days on the roads are still virtually deserted around here. ( I walk them everyday) If anything I see slightly more cars on the road since the lock down started.

I have seen an increase in families with their children cycling on the roads due to less traffic which is great to see.
Same for me.
I live beside a park luckily, and loads of families pedalling along. Hopefully they stick at it once we're over this.

Also seeing a lot of kids learning to drive, load of cars driving strangely in the middle of the road or stalling with a young driver and presumably a parent beside them. I'd say the parental blood pressure is through the roof
(2) thanks from:
07-04-2020, 10:32   #1080
rolling boh

This weekend will be a big test to judge the compliance rates .Good weather and less people working from home will have a lot of people tempted to venture out maby further than normal .
Thanks from:
Thread Closed