Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

That's amazing - thanks both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

The third one looks almost identical to Alworthia (Aloe Vera crossed with Haworthia)

Alworthia Black Gem is the one I have I think

Lovely plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

So the first one (Kentia) I bought in Dunnes a number of months ago but threw out the label on the day. It's been doing well and I love it but now that I'm home all day every day looking at it I just feel like I should be doing more with it, which brought me on here to identify it!

The other two were here when I moved in. The Alworthia is great as I've forgotten about if for weeks on end, barely needs any attention or care.

Have been purchasing a €1 bunch of daffodils every week recently just to add a bit of colour to the place but planning on adding some more plants when restrictions ease off in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

Some advice needed, please. I bought 3 fruit trees from Lidl a few weeks ago, and planted them according to the instructions on the label. They were plum trees BTW. My 1st choice from the few that were available was a fine hardy big specimen, with the buds showing a little bit of green leaf even back then. The 2nd plant , while not as strong as the 1st one, was hardy enough, with plenty of buds visible. The 3rd one, was definitely on life-support, but I took it anyway. So now fast forward a bit, and the situation is, Tree Nr 1, looks to be dying. Gone is the emerging green tips on the bud's, and the stem's / branch's seem to be shedding their skin, and turning a rusty color. ( sorry, but I'm unable to upload the pics)
    Tree Nr 2 is thriving, already showing leaves, and Nr 3 has made a good recovery....the bud's are starting to show a hint of green at their tips.
    The only thing that I can think of what happened to Tree Nr. 1 was that after planting, we had a few nights of heavy frost, so would the frost account for the condition of tree Nr 1? Or would something else have caused it? For now, I will leave it in situ,,,in the hope that maybe it will make a comeback, as the frost should not have any effect on the root's? Any advice?
    Thank's for any help you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They should not have been showing leaf a few weeks ago - I just put in one yesterday which has no sign of leaves at all (Lidl apple tree) but I have no doubt it is fine. A plum tree is just showing a couple of leaves and both are fine. Supermarkets like Lidl have no idea how to look after plants and they are often kept too warm for too long so that they are sprouting before they should.

Anyway, yes, probably the frost affected the damaged tree. Have you been watering them? We have had about a week of dry breezy weather now and newly planted thing will dry out very quickly. Give them a good drink - not a sprinkle from a hose, a steady gallon or so poured on slowly. And presumably you have them staked? Not to keep the stem rigid, its better for them to flex, but to make sure the roots do not rock in the ground.

Don't give up on the dodgy tree yet, if it has not produced any leaves in another month then likely it is not going to rally, but give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

looksee wrote: »
    They should not have been showing leaf a few weeks ago - I just put in one yesterday which has no sign of leaves at all (Lidl apple tree) but I have no doubt it is fine. A plum tree is just showing a couple of leaves and both are fine. Supermarkets like Lidl have no idea how to look after plants and they are often kept too warm for too long so that they are sprouting before they should.

Anyway, yes, probably the frost affected the damaged tree. Have you been watering them? We have had about a week of dry breezy weather now and newly planted thing will dry out very quickly. Give them a good drink - not a sprinkle from a hose, a steady gallon or so poured on slowly. And presumably you have them staked? Not to keep the stem rigid, its better for them to flex, but to make sure the roots do not rock in the ground.

Don't give up on the dodgy tree yet, if it has not produced any leaves in another month then likely it is not going to rally, but give it time.

Yes you are dead right about the leaves appearing. At about the same time I bought the plum tree's in Lidl, I also bought some apple trees ( Golden Delicious) in Aldi, and again planted them as per instructions, but its only since the temp went up a bit last week that the buds are starting to show a bit of green at their tips, whereas their brothers still in Aldi, are actually showing Flowers...but then again, they are right inside the windows in the local Aldi shop,,,,greenhouse effect, sun shining straight in the windows directly on to the tree's. I'll run the garden hose on to them tomorrow, including the rusty one.... I can't figure out how to create an URL to post the pics, but the "Green Skin" on the branches, has started to peel off, and it looks exactly like rust particles flaking off metal. Best way I can describe it. Thanks for your help, Looksee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

Hi.
    Was digging in the ditch and found these bulbs.

How do I plant these?,I think they are from a green reeds type plant with red tiny flowers at the top.

Here's a pic.

No pic, I think you do not have enough posts to put up a pic. Any chance its this http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=177&wildflower=Montbretia ? The bulbs are kind of flattish with a rough skin and are often in 'stacks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If that’s what they are take care planting them, they have a habit of running riot and taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If that’s what they are take care planting them, they have a habit of running riot and taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

kylith wrote: »

This times 100 - they are impossible to control in open ground of any sort - if you really, really like them plant some in a few pots instead. Even the "bought" varieties like Lucifer, Mars etc are invasive. I treat them like mint and grow them only in large containers.

Another warning re Montbretia, it really is a plague, they can resprout and grow happily even after being dug up. Terribly invasive inside and outside gardens.

:D we haven't established that it is Montbretia yet - though what everyone is saying is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Found this lost under collapsed clematis/honeysuckle/perennial sweetpea mess.
    Looks like purple beech but I'm not convinced - any alternative suggestions?
    It is about 1m high and .5m on top of an almost bare stem(s) probably from the lack of light!

https://imgur.com/vhyST5g
    https://i.imgur.com/CITpi5M.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Box (buxus), if you ask me, but it depends on how big the leaves are.

BGdn5XX

3x1.5mm at most

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    BGdn5XX

3x1.5mm at most

Yes, I'd say it's box hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    BGdn5XX

3x1.5mm at most

Made me think of this type of myrtle. But just guessing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Privet maybe.. I've seen go that colour when stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Privet maybe.. I've seen go that colour when stressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭standardg60

macraignil wrote: »
    Made me think of this type of myrtle. But just guessing really.

That was certainly my first thought, and second..

I stand corrected. :)

Thank y'all for the efforts - I think macraignil is correct.
    The ridged leaf, stem style and the colour definitely match up.

Now that it can see the light I can't wait for confirmation by the presence of "in summer, lightly fragrant, open cup-shaped, white flowers followed by ovoid, dark red fruit."

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi all, can anyone identify this plant, Im fencing a small area to graze my goats and want to make sure there's nothing poisonous for them there, I dont know what this is though, any ideas?

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone identify this plant, Im fencing a small area to graze my goats and want to make sure there's nothing poisonous for them there, I dont know what this is though, any ideas?

Foxglove, Digitalis purpurea

Foxglove, Digitalis purpurea

Thank you :D

They're toxic to goats and many other animals so they'll be dug up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Thank you :D

They're toxic to goats and many other animals so they'll be dug up tomorrow

They have very good flowers for bumble bees if you have somewhere to move them to .

macraignil wrote: »
    They have very good flowers for bumble bees if you have somewhere to move them to .

Ill try and find a goat proofed home for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Is this parsley? I’m trying to sort out my veg patch from last year and have lots of this growing and I know that I’d planted some last year. Thanks a mill

• Advertisement

No, it's some kind of buttercup (can't remember the name).

EDIT: Actually, I'm not so sure, now, looking at the second picture.
    EDIT 2: No, the leaf from the first picture definitely isn't, parsley isn't furry. And should also smell strongly of parsley! :D

Advertisement