Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

serfboard wrote: »
    Funnily enough Fine Gael tried to change the constitution in this regard by abolishing that useless second chamber Seanad Eireann, but this was rejected by the electorate. To the surprise of some eejits the rejection was not followed by a reform of the Seanad, and so we still have Taoiseach's nominations today.

There is a (Fine Gael) precedent for keeping Regina Doherty in cabinet - Garret Fitzgerald did it in 1981 by appointing James Dooge to the Seanad, and then appointing him Minister of Foreign Affairs, since the constitution allows for Senators to be Ministers.

IIRC, Fitzgerald said afterwards that opposition to this move came, not from Fianna Fail, but from within Fine Gael where people who had been elected were annoyed that someone who had not been was made a Minister, and hence this move has not been repeated until now.

I'd be surprised if this will change, and I presume that talk about this is coming from "sources close to" Doherty herself.

Lord, it’s incredibly circular and self-serving isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    Funnily enough Fine Gael tried to change the constitution in this regard by abolishing that useless second chamber Seanad Eireann, but this was rejected by the electorate. To the surprise of some eejits the rejection was not followed by a reform of the Seanad, and so we still have Taoiseach's nominations today.

There is a (Fine Gael) precedent for keeping Regina Doherty in cabinet - Garret Fitzgerald did it in 1981 by appointing James Dooge to the Seanad, and then appointing him Minister of Foreign Affairs, since the constitution allows for Senators to be Ministers.

IIRC, Fitzgerald said afterwards that opposition to this move came, not from Fianna Fail, but from within Fine Gael where people who had been elected were annoyed that someone who had not been was made a Minister, and hence this move has not been repeated until now.

I'd be surprised if this will change, and I presume that talk about this is coming from "sources close to" Doherty herself.

Needs reform badly, can’t have these people swilling around the system for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Wow, Coveney is bad at speaking on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Eh, umm, er, ah

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You only noticed this in April 2020? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Careful. The Brenner will think you're having a cut at FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Careful. The Brenner will think you're having a cut at FG.

No, not an articulate speaker, but an accurate and correct one in content.

The Brenner always sticks to the facts, and thems the facts.

He might not be an articulate flowing speaker, but unlike some who can ‘flap’ till the cows come home, and have zero content, he always gets his core points across.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Had the unfortunate experience of catching Marty Morrisey interviewing Mike Murphy on today’s show. To say Murphy is a Denis o Brian fanboy would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My God, if David Agnew was icecream he'd be licking himself.

What a pain he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That bit of non essential fluff should have been saved for the ray d'arcy show. Was screaming for Sean to zip it up long before he did and get back to the serious business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

He had some Swedish woman on from the WHO and he put it to her about the evidence showing closing down borders had worked to a degree, something the WHO is against.
    She blathered some response that wasn't really related to that question and Sean then weighed in to help her by pointing out EU Commission boss Von Der Lyen said some countries decisions to close borders had nearly collapsed the EU in March. Long queues at border checkpoints and some procurement delays in PPE orders apparently nearly brought down the EU!
    The official EU propaganda machine for the Irish Govt, RTE, quickly trotting out the party line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

jay0109 wrote: »
    He had some Swedish woman on from the WHO and he put it to her about the evidence showing closing down borders had worked t a degree, something the WHO is against.
    She blathered some response that wasn't really related to that question and Sean then weighed in to help her by pointing out EU Commission boss Von Der Lyen said some countries decisions to close borders had nearly collapsed the EU in March. Long queues at border checkpoints and some procurement delays in PPE orders apparently nearly brought down the EU!
    The official EU propaganda machine for the Irish Govt, RTE, quickly trotting out the party line.
    Does Sean O’Rourkes wife work for Fine Gael ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    My God, if David Agnew was icecream he'd be licking himself.

What a pain he is!

Thought the lad came across as fairly sound...loved his reference to kids sport as tennis and hockey....kinda South Dublin wha ?

O'Rourke had to throw in some hurling metaphors to ensure political correctness.

Although Agnew did give a mention to Gaelic Football towards the end ...wouldn't have thought you would bump into him in the Red Parrott before a Dubs match though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blinding wrote: »

Married to Caroline Murphy.

Part of the furniture in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭elperello

blinding wrote: »
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Married to Caroline Murphy.

Part of the furniture in RTE.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/rte-stalwart-leaves-to-advise-justice-minister-36799190.html

Not exactly for Fine Gael more a public funded gig now coming to an end most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sean retiring in May

He just announced it before ending the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,603 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sean just announced his retirement live on-air! :eek:

His last show on Friday 8th. May!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sean retiring in May

He'll be a big loss, if I don't listen to Pat Kenny I podcast SOR and vice versa.

Liked the song he finished with. God wonder who will take that slot now? Will they go for a woman, perhaps Sarah McIneney.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Please not more Miraim O'Bleedin-Callaghan!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Please not more Miraim O'Bleedin-Callaghan!
    This x 1000 :eek:

Sean will be missed by me anyway, he's my go-to for current affairs, hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sean retiring in May

Been a fair bit of speculation for a while. Good luck to him.

Wonder who will get the gig now, Cormac O'hEadhra chap? Or a female voice? Needs someone with a wide area of interests, not just politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BarryD2 wrote: »

Wonder who will get the gig now, Cormac O'hEadhra chap? Or a female voice? Needs someone with a wide area of interests, not just politics.
    Does that rule Darcy out ? :)

BarryD2 wrote: »

I find Cormac O hEadhra far too combative, his programmes lately just sound argumentative and ill-tempered.

I know the presenter has to ask the hard questions, but he's taken it a level too far for me.

And he is forever interrupting with another, different question, never lets the guest expand on their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd give to Kathryn Thomas. A fantastic presenter and easy on the eye as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cormac O hEadhra is literally unlistenable. Dunno how the hell he has a radio career to be honest.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd give to Kathryn Thomas. A fantastic presenter and easy on the eye as well...
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I think it’s just the ticket for Lottie Ryan!

It's a radio show, you know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My guess is that it'll go to a female voice (Not Kathryn Thomas though!) if one can be found - would Claire Byrne be ready to return to radio? She was terrible at Newstalk but much better now on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

and easy on the eye as well...

That's a bit like having Irish dancing on the radio. :D (actually happened believe it or not)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement