Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possibility of TV above fireplace

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bruthal wrote: »
    So when sitting on a couch, you want the top of the tv at eye level?

That's gonna be one tiny fireplace, but hey if that's what the experts say must be done.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So when sitting on a couch, you want the top of the tv at eye level?

Depends on the size of the screen, but the top quarter.
    That's why TV stands are quite low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Depends on the size of the screen, but the top quarter.
    That's why TV stands are quite low.

So that the top of the screen is at eye level when sitting on a couch?

Eye level is roughly 900mm at a guess.

55 inch tv is around 700mm screen height.

So bottom of tv is 200mm above the floor? tv stand/legs about 100mm
    That would be some tv stand alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

It was answered in replies #1, 2 & 3 among others. The cabling pictured appears to be from a wall/picture light and not suitable for the supply of a t.v.

Why is cabling not suitable for a tv (if it is ok for a light?)

I dont understand

adrian92 wrote: »
    Why is cabling not suitable for a tv (if it is ok for a light?)

I dont understand

You really shouldn't be giving advice about something that you clearly don't have a clue about.

First up that supply is not rcd protected.
    And it's switched .

Will it work? Yes
    Should it be done? No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So that the top of the screen is at eye level when sitting on a couch?

Eye level is roughly 900mm at a guess.

55 inch tv is around 700mm screen height.

So bottom of tv is 200mm above the floor? tv stand/legs about 100mm
    That would be some tv stand alright.

And here come the pedants.

Seated eye level is abou 1100mm average (see link: https://www.academia.edu/37289439/Architectural-Graphic-Standards.pdf?auto=download)

A 55 inch TV is about 700mm. That would put you 300mm off the ground given a 100mm stand (which is a taller stand that average)

I said eye level at the top or maybe 1/4 way down for larger screens, so 575mm, or 425 off the ground with a 100mm stand.

A quick look on Argos shows TV stands for larger screens are about 450-500mm high, so ya know, go figure.

It's semantics at this stage, but sure if you buy a larger than average TV with a larger than average stand then you may not be at the optimal viewing angle.
    I was just giving my 2 cents, not looking to get into the weeds with detail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

And it's switched .

Will it work? Yes
    Should it be done? No

Cabling cross-sectional area wouldn't be large enough either.

Cabling cross-sectional area wouldn't be large enough either.

1.5sq would be more than enough for a TV.
    I'd say your TVs flex is 1.5sq .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

But you would have to fit a socket or spur which would require 2.5mmSq would it not...?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And here come the pedants.

Seated eye level is abou 1100mm average (see link: https://www.academia.edu/37289439/Architectural-Graphic-Standards.pdf?auto=download)

A 55 inch TV is about 700mm. That would put you 300mm off the ground given a 100mm stand (which is a taller stand that average)

I said eye level at the top or maybe 1/4 way down for larger screens, so 575mm, or 425 off the ground with a 100mm stand.

A quick look on Argos shows TV stands for larger screens are about 450-500mm high, so ya know, go figure.

It's semantics at this stage, but sure if you buy a larger than average TV with a larger than average stand then you may not be at the optimal viewing angle.
    I was just giving my 2 cents, not looking to get into the weeds with detail.

Ahh, its yourself

• Advertisement

But you would have to fit a socket or spur which would require 2.5mmSq would it not...?

I was just saying that on paper there is no problem supplying a TV with 1.5sq cable.
    They are only a few 100 watts if even.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was just saying that on paper there is no problem supplying a TV with 1.5sq cable.
    They are only a few 100 watts if even.

I agree. In the “old days” we would supply a 500 watt halogen floodlight from a 1.5 mm sq. cable and a modern TV is a smaller load than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

You really shouldn't be giving advice about something that you clearly don't have a clue about.

And it's switched .

Will it work? Yes
    Should it be done? No

I would ask the Moderator to ask this poster not to use such language , or sentiments to me or others.

We are all doing our best to help to the best of our abilities.

I do not know if it is helpful to say "you dont have a clue" or "dont give advice"

Once again I would ask the Moderator to consider my comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok let’s keep it friendly. Everyone is free to give their opinion.

However I don’t see why a fixed appliance such as a double insulated TV needs to be RCD protected. I also think it may be possible to link out the switch.

2011 wrote: »
    Ok let’s keep it friendly. Everyone is free to give their opinion.

However I don’t see why a fixed appliance such as a double insulated TV needs to be RCD protected. I also think it may be possible to link out the switch.

It doesnt need to be, if its not a 13 amp socket probably.

But still, its getting messy connecting tvs to lighting circuits.

But, it will work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement