Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 could close some stations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

L1011 wrote: »
    Pay cuts at Communicorp, the first reported action I believe:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0331/1127661-communicorp-pay-cuts/

It doesn't have to be reported to be happening. Similar and larger cuts are happening across the board, with huge drops in pay and redundancies in a number of local stations. Some stations are operating on a skeleton staff currently.

This is going to be very difficult to come back from and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see some stations close, sadly. To those saying "good riddance", please cop on & think again - people's livelihoods are at stake, just as in any other business. If you don't like a station, move the dial - wishing them to close down/go off the air is petty & pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Bard wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be reported to be happening. Similar and larger cuts are happening across the board, with huge drops in pay and redundancies in a number of local stations. Some stations are operating on a skeleton staff currently.

This is going to be very difficult to come back from and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see some stations close, sadly. To those saying "good riddance", please cop on & think again - people's livelihoods are at stake, just as in any other business. If you don't like a station, move the dial - wishing them to close down/go off the air is petty & pathetic.

What are you on about? you are the only person that mentioned them closing down.

I wish them well and have being doing exactly what you say for years.
    I know and am friendly with some of these people, i am the odd-one-out here as just do my thing and say nothing, its not for me to say as people like it and that's fine.

Any chance of the same thing happening at RTE as surely they face the same pressures?

I have to say RTE sport very clever. They created a sport slot on morning Ireland for people to have their favourite sport moments replayed instead of what would be the regular sport slot in the morning.
    I think i'll put on the wireless now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What are you on about? you are the only person that mentioned them closing down.

Eh,... I'm really not. Did you miss the title of the thread? The first post? The posts that mentioned stations 'going under'/'winding up'? Did you miss the post where someone said 'good riddance'? This thread is literally about stations potentially facing closure due to Covid 19.

I wish them well and have being doing exactly what you say for years.
    I know and am friendly with some of these people, i am the odd-one-out here as just do my thing and say nothing, its not for me to say as people like it and that's fine.

Good for you - my reply clearly wasn't aimed at you specifically.

I wish them well myself, obviously, - working in the radio business as I do, it's my own livelihood at stake here too. This remains one of the biggest challenges - if not THE biggest challenge - that local radio in Ireland has ever faced.

I suppose i did not think it was as specific as closing down.
    I certainly do not want anyone to lose their job whether i agree or disagree.
    I was more or less talking of general local radio.
    I wish you and you and your station well...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bard wrote: »

That's why I said reported - I know its not the first one!

Its media industry wide as advertising sales just vanish - Journal Media have had cuts publicised too - https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/coronavirus-journal-media-to-cut-pay-by-up-to-20-per-cent-1.4217672

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

L1011 wrote: »
    Pay cuts at Communicorp, the first reported action I believe:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0331/1127661-communicorp-pay-cuts/

Cnts at state-backed RTE gleefully reporting their main competitors facing paycuts.

I don't see RTE reporting on other similar sized organizations in the private sector and their paycuts?

I hope RTE are given a nice large helping of funding cutbacks during this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

salonfire wrote: »
    Cnts at state-backed RTE gleefully reporting their main competitors facing paycuts.

I don't see RTE reporting on other similar sized organizations in the private sector and their paycuts?

I hope RTE are given a nice large helping of funding cutbacks during this recession.

i would expect they did report on other organisations, but this is a radio forum so linking to what is going on in a non-radio organisation is unlikely to have little to no interest in a radio context.
    they could report on some of the bigger radio organisations in the uk for example and what they may be doing, but they would be catering to a very tiny audience, and anyway those who may be interested already know the places to find out such information anyway.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Ridiculous
    Keep the news and current affairs programming, playlist the rest. Same generic 300 songs on every station. Anyone who listens to music on local radio clearly doesn’t care what songs are played. The rest of us have downloading/streaming platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Not saying it would be a good thing but I'm suprised Ireland has not gone down the same 'network' route as a similar population base like New Zealand where you get a local breakfast and maybe drive and the rest is network.

Or even down the Global route from the UK (much bigger market obviously).

Populist radio with a local slant for those who want it...

Ridiculous
    Keep the news and current affairs programming, playlist the rest. Same generic 300 songs on every station. Anyone who listens to music on local radio clearly doesn’t care what songs are played. The rest of us have downloading/streaming platforms.

I always considered in the past radio for music and the presenters were usually pretty informed as to what was going on in the industry I think it was likely MTV that changed that.
    I am probably out of touch but the only radio i listen to now are Fanning and John Kelly.
    I be happy to be informed if i'm missing anything.
    I do listen to news and bits of current affairs but magazine progs are an absolute no no.
    I suppose i'm just out of touch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

Highland Radio has dropped all evening programs and hits overnight music mode from 8pm now due to the the fall in advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Damian F wrote: »
      Highland Radio has dropped all evening programs and hits overnight music mode from 8pm now due to the the fall in advertising

That has happened at a few local stations, big changes to evening/night time and weekend programming. Shame. However, I do appreciate the reasons for it.

I can see some of those cuts becoming permanent.

1. Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Mid West Radio..maybe the only commercial station that has every show live - 7 days..7am to 2am.
      I don't know how they do it.

2. Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We have newstalk and RTE 1 radio news and current affairs, is that not enough? And of course you can listen
      to BBC radio 4 and 5. As well as 100s of podcasts.
      I doubt if there's a market out there for more news on the
      radio

Advertisement