Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rikand wrote: »
    There was no feedback left for silent hill. I'm going to take it as read that everyone thought the game was flawless :)

I didn't play silent Hill, I don't know what happened in the game but.....

thats-ok-your.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Werewolf Walking Dead Part 2 and Necros last game for a long time. Couldn’t have been more of a Necro game with all those twists and turns :D

Really well done mods, such a fun game. Loved every minute of it, I remember the night before I got munched I thought I never want this game to end it was so fun... And then well thanks wolves :P

Game mechanics and flavour 10/10, the three team game was great and even if you trusted someone once there was a conversion you were questioning them all over.

I was all over the place with my reads and I use that term lightly in that I hadn’t a breeze who was who half of the time but I still had a great time playing.

General game feedback: For anyone who’s relatively new to the game don’t ever be afraid to ask what something is on thread if you don’t understand it. When I started playing I asked loads of questions and nobody batted an eyelid. As it’s been said before were a very welcoming crowd and wouldn’t want anybody to not get the full experience from a game and if that means asking questions until you wrap your head around it then by all means do :)

Also also general feedback, can we make it a thing to stop saying being confused makes someone a wolf. I still get confused and I would hate to think if I expressed that on thread the mob would be after me :P But seriously there’ll always be things that wolves have done but as someone said during the game wolves are ever changing so what makes one does not make another. I don’t think anyone uses being new as an excuse when they’re a wolf anyway, not that I’ve seen so let’s all be more mindful of newer folk going forward :)

Also also also that’s not directed at any one or in reference to the last game but something I’ve noticed a few times in the past few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

WOLF!

tusk wrote: »
    WOLF!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Just 1 piece of feedback on the Star Wars game.

Firstly, it was a really good game. However, I thought it was harsh to modkill Clara for a fake role claim, I don't recall seeing anything in the rule that disallowed that. I'm open to correction on this of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The second post (which was a mod post) outlined no role reveals. This carries both ways for fake reveals too.

Fair enough on the modkill. Could maybe have been handled differently. Mods made the choice to ensure the game wouldnt be in jeopardy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thanks for the game mods, really enjoyed it.

Some of the stuff was really cool and I loved how the force played into finding out the dead players.

Anti role reveal was a good idea but as I think we saw when paired with priests it might not be feasible. Possibly would have worked much better with auto priest but look you live and learn (and then you wouldn't have got the force being used in a clever manner either)

Mainly I was sad about the non-reveal rule though cos I got Darth Vader as a role and I wanted to post all the gifs :(

I loved the dynamic switch to make the rebels wolves, it was a nice touch and the flavour was good throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So this isn't necessarily about the game just gone as there were no minimum conditions but we ended up with a situation in that game where the last three players all missed a vote and had 10, 16 and 22 posts over a four day game. I know people can be busy but these games are flagged well in advance and rely on people posting and voting to work.

I'd propose a minimum post count with a strong enough deterrent and a mod kill for any missed vote

I absolutely loved the stand. I’ve said it already the game mechanics were just amazing. First with my inheriting the seer role and THEN becoming supervig was just the best moment for me personally playing WW and just how it all unfolded was amazing, how I survived a full day with my powers I’ll never know but it was really an amazing day :D

Then we have THAT explosion. My god that was just amazing, I’ve always wanted to see something like that happen where a huge number were taken out at the same time and it really done it justice, I can imagine it was a very fun role to play as too. Just a breathtaking moment :)

The wolves did a great job too, all four of them alive to be taken out in the space of a couple of days and then just when it looks like it was game over Stu pulled it out of the bag with those huge posts. He read a lot like a villager for the first half of the game too so had that to his advantage so really well played :)

The only downside I’d comment on was the lack of posts during and in the final two days or the game. I completely get life is hectic at the moment and we had a lot of subs etc but this is starting to become a recurring theme and I do think it should be a rule that at the mods discretion they can intervene if this is happening as it does nothing to progress the game and takes away from the fun of post analysis as what can you say about someone when they haven’t really said anything? And that’s not about anyone specific either as it happened with quite a few people.

The final two days were heartbreaking to watch after being so pumped and totally immersed in the game to the thread completely flatlining. It took away the excitement of what should have been a tense all out battle for victory when it really mattered the most which to me was quite sad to watch from the sidelines :(

Overall though I really loved playing this game so well done mods, this will be one talked about for a long time. Congrats to Green&Red too on your mod debut, you done such a great job and I definitely wouldn’t say no to a you and Necro tag team again :D

Final final thoughts I liked how whenever any of us got wound up on thread we were all apologising to each other afterwards. It was nice to see and I think the game overall was played in good spirits and all new players were welcomed with open arms :)

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2909e25119e551bdababe699db16501af5af68f807&rid=giphy.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Great game, well balanced. Enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The big explosion was beautiful. Kind of a relief too, really struggling to fit the last few WW games in. Enjoyed watching from the sidelines though, great work mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

LadySkunk wrote: »

Overall though I really loved playing this game so well done mods, this will be one talked about for a long time. Congrats to Green&Red too on your mod debut, you done such a great job and I definitely wouldn’t say no to a you and Necro tag team again :D

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2969da623b36c750c9e8871d1fcbc5d1403c79ba02&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Really enjoyed it, got caught up in the explosion and genuinely thought I'd be the only one voting that way but sure thems the breaks when ya cant get on around lynch.

Mechanics were great and the kill rate was good! Nice combo on the supervig sub, worked well! Thanks mods, didnt get a chance to check back before today

Also well done LadySkunk, serious performance from you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

It was a super game. With the loss of clodagh the decision to make a super vig was inspired. It balanced the game perfectly after Nuclear Tuesday ( someone says this elsewhere and I love it) .

The low posting as skunk says is definitely starting to hurt things more. I was a culprit early on and just barely meet the 5 posts by the skin of my teeth. For any other game I will have bowed out, but this is the game I've been waiting for. I couldn't, so I tried to up my count as much as I could.

I think as a community, we need to really look at ourselves and ask if we're going to be able to commit a reasonable minimum effort, and if not, then don't sign up or sub out as soon as it becomes apparent. Because really the energy and planning that mods go through, it's tough to see things flounder.

This is in now way aimed at anyone, sure I've been a bad one on a few occasions, but it's definitely something we should try to be mindful of.

I'm delighted there have been a few new players over the last while. I'm just coming up to a year since my first game and I have to say I love the community and how open everyone is with fresh meat. It's a joy to be a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think a regular issue (Had this when modding Star Wars) is player reveal on thread. I’m not great at working out balance mechanics but it seems to be difficult to factor into games.

When there is auto priest there is effectively no way for wolves to bluff a role. (I actually prefer auto priest as a player as I find it hard to keep up even in simple games). And RVs can just come out on thread which basically means RVs should seldom be mislynche., ok they may get killed (if no BG) after coming out but at certain points in a game, as a wolf you basically feel like you are waiting to die, particularly if more NRVs are being picked off which leaves you less room to hide.

One suggestion is that you could try a rule whereby any role reveal will have a 50/50 chance of giving wolves a prize (for every reveal) or maybe one wolf team will get a prize until the BG dies.. To counter act the BG, this prize would not exist after the BG is gone. It’s basically to try and make coming out on thread more damaging because mass reveals and people revealing roles that can’t be disputed makes it a bit too easy for RVs.

This means baddies can still soft role claim. Part of the problem of course is people trying to circumvent the rule by hinting at a role but can’t baddies start trying to do that?. I suppose we would have to just amend rules as we were trying to make them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Brilliant game Rikand. Really enjoyed the complexity and nuance.

Things I loved about the game were being able to claim a role but not a character...I think that could have been really interesting with the replication of roles across factions.

I really enjoyed the different factions but I'm not sure how much I liked not knowing how many factions there were. I can see both sides on this.

One thing I do think though is that if you are going to have factions and not let people know the number, there should be some way of the teams working it out. It may be personal preference but I'm not a big fan of passive roles, because I think it can lead to strategic low posting...which leads me to my only real issue of the game, no/low posting.

It is something that has been an issue in this and other games and one which is NOT the fault of the mods. I'm also not trying to have a go at any particular player here because know life can happen and it has happened to me but I think we need to introduce higher minimum posting counts/harsher penalties for non posting. I'm sure Rikand was scrambling for subs to keep things interesting but he shouldn't have to.

I don't get to play as often as I would like (for which you all should be grateful :pac: ) so there is probably an element of personal frustration in this but I'd love to see low posting go away.

Feb Mods are looking at a few options for low posting / no shows. Still in development but hopefully we can find something that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ectoplasm wrote: »

Things I loved about the game were being able to claim a role but not a character...I think that could have been really interesting with the replication of roles across factions.

I really enjoyed the different factions but I'm not sure how much I liked not knowing how many factions there were. I can see both sides on this.

One thing I do think though is that if you are going to have factions and not let people know the number, there should be some way of the teams working it out. It may be personal preference but I'm not a big fan of passive roles, because I think it can lead to strategic low posting...which leads me to my only real issue of the game, no/low posting.

It is something that has been an issue in this and other games and one which is NOT the fault of the mods. I'm also not trying to have a go at any particular player here because know life can happen and it has happened to me but I think we need to introduce higher minimum posting counts/harsher penalties for non posting. I'm sure Rikand was scrambling for subs to keep things interesting but he shouldn't have to.

I don't get to play as often as I would like (for which you all should be grateful :pac: ) so there is probably an element of personal frustration in this but I'd love to see low posting go away.

I'll try and address a few of these points if i can.

I did have a mechanic in place for no posting and no voting, but I think there is a difference between someone who is strategically not voting/posting and someone who just disappears off the planet. I hope both Fixxxer and JGF are okay :)

If I didnt have a sub for Phil WW, he would have been modkilled at 9PM that night and the village would have won with Katie giving up.

Game Setup ::

On the forum I come from originally, there are 3 standard styles of games ::

Vanilla :
    Vanilla+
    Mish-Mash

Vanillas::

Vanilla are standard games where the only roles are wolves, villagers and seer(s) depending on the size of the games.
    They are apportioned in this fashion

No. Of Players|Villagers|Wolves|Seer(s)|n0 Peek
    9|6|2|1|yes
    11|8|2|1|no
    13|9|3|1|yes
    15|11|3|1|no
    17|12|4|1|yes
    19|14|4|1|no
    21|15|5|1|yes
    23|17|5|1|no
    25|17|6|2|yes
    27|19|6|2|no
    29|20|7|2|yes
    etc|

Even though thats only for vanilla games, I, and most mods on my home forum, keep to that design for all forms of werewolf

Vanilla+

Vanilla+ are where you would have a complex design that is known to every player playing the game. I have seen a lot of boards.ie games with this makeup. For example my game just gone, you would have seen the full make up of the village team, wolf team, and the neutrals. A 17 player game, there was 4 wolves and 1 seer as above - But with other powers given to both wolf and village teams to account for the variance of neutrals.

Mish-Mash

Everything is hidden and anything goes. Tend to still stick to the player design though which is tricky when you can have games of over 100 players. A 100 person game would have 4-5 seers and 20ish wolves.

I prefer to create mish-mashes as I like the artistic licence, I like to leave people in suspense and I think Vanilla+ is tougher on the wolf teams. Although it was only presumed there was a godfather in my game and necro got lynched pretty hard on that assumption. Imagine how hard he would get lynched if you knew there were Godfathers! :D

I would love to run a few vanillas though if there was a scope or a demand for them. Maybe on the weeks when there are no large themed games. They are a great way to introduce people to werewolf and get them immersed in the ways of it outside of large complex themed games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

It should be policy to lynch low and no poster's, not rely on mods to get rid of them. I've seen it so many times in games, don't worry about xxx no poster, mod will get rid of them, where as, we should be policy lynching them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loved the game Rikand (and Neo). I'm 90% certain I actually have used that exact table for deciding game balance in the past, think it's available with a quick Google.

Closest thing we have had here to a Mish-Mash would be South Park I'd reckon, we just don't have the player base to have a full out Mish-Mash game.

The roles gelled extremely well with the source material and made for a very immersive experience. Agreed with Neo, we don't on Boards do it enough, policy lynching low posters and expecting mods to deal with them, so perhaps we are partly to blame for them then lasting to the end and impacting the game result.

That being said sub-Phil was excellent, just a shame the original didn't get a chance to play fully. SnowyMay was fab when they came in for fixXxer as well, so kudos to the subs for playing their part.

If I can though, I'd like to bring up the subject of recent games - it seems we are struggling to fill sign ups which is a concern. Even games with 15 slots aren't filling as of late, and usually a good theme such as Die Hard would bring in a few new players and fill up quickly but it just doesn't seem to be happening for anyone currently.

It's not anyone's fault, players drift off and don't play again through real changes etc, and it's up to us as a community to market ourselves and continue to bring in new players.

Forum Games is actually more popular than ever with the Tournaments, Sheep, MSPaint and various versions of Walrus that all of us love and mostly participate in as well.

BUT - Werewolf seems to be going in the opposite direction. We did have a vibrant and active Feedback thread and after game discussion that has all but died nowadays. Off topic chat has kinda petered out a bit too.

Personally I think we need to arrest that slide sooner rather than later or we will end up losing the game like what happened to Codenames and D&D.

Mods are not going to want to build games that won't fill, so whilst we have a Schedule running until Christmas 2022 - we may indeed see times where a mod will pull their game rather than have 12, or 15 players play when they had a planned game for 20.

And maybe that shouldn't happen either, flexibility as a game mod is invaluable - but we also need to give more credit to people who run the games, and indeed Boards as a website rather than running off to a discord server as soon as the game finishes and not having any discussion on the matter or providing the game mods with some feedback about what people liked, what they didn't like etc.

• Advertisement

Neowise wrote: »
    It should be policy to lynch low and no poster's, not rely on mods to get rid of them. I've seen it so many times in games, don't worry about xxx no poster, mod will get rid of them, where as, we should be policy lynching them.

I am for policy lynches :)

Necro wrote: »
    Loved the game Rikand (and Neo). I'm 90% certain I actually have used that exact table for deciding game balance in the past, think it's available with a quick Google.

Closest thing we have had here to a Mish-Mash would be South Park I'd reckon, we just don't have the player base to have a full out Mish-Mash game.

The roles gelled extremely well with the source material and made for a very immersive experience. Agreed with Neo, we don't on Boards do it enough, policy lynching low posters and expecting mods to deal with them, so perhaps we are partly to blame for them then lasting to the end and impacting the game result.

That being said sub-Phil was excellent, just a shame the original didn't get a chance to play fully. SnowyMay was fab when they came in for fixXxer as well, so kudos to the subs for playing their part.

If I can though, I'd like to bring up the subject of recent games - it seems we are struggling to fill sign ups which is a concern. Even games with 15 slots aren't filling as of late, and usually a good theme such as Die Hard would bring in a few new players and fill up quickly but it just doesn't seem to be happening for anyone currently.

It's not anyone's fault, players drift off and don't play again through real changes etc, and it's up to us as a community to market ourselves and continue to bring in new players.

Forum Games is actually more popular than ever with the Tournaments, Sheep, MSPaint and various versions of Walrus that all of us love and mostly participate in as well.

BUT - Werewolf seems to be going in the opposite direction. We did have a vibrant and active Feedback thread and after game discussion that has all but died nowadays. Off topic chat has kinda petered out a bit too.

Personally I think we need to arrest that slide sooner rather than later or we will end up losing the game like what happened to Codenames and D&D.

Mods are not going to want to build games that won't fill, so whilst we have a Schedule running until Christmas 2022 - we may indeed see times where a mod will pull their game rather than have 12, or 15 players play when they had a planned game for 20.

And maybe that shouldn't happen either, flexibility as a game mod is invaluable - but we also need to give more credit to people who run the games, and indeed Boards as a website rather than running off to a discord server as soon as the game finishes and not having any discussion on the matter or providing the game mods with some feedback about what people liked, what they didn't like etc.

I'm not sure if Kathleen will pop in or not but when i was looking for subs she said she would ask some friends who post on boards.ie...

their response :: " Pfft, werewolf is only for boring nerds. "

So there is definitely an image problem for werewolf in the wider boards.ie community. given how many sheepers and walrusers we have now, that image problem is perhaps within as well

We could try a hydra game where we see about inviting all new players to try the game out and give them an experienced player to pair up with who would act as adviser or give them know how on reasoning the game out. Dont know if that would help or if even irish people in general would go for it or not :) Some Irish people tend to be more of an " I'll be grand, I dont need help" sort of a bunch

I think there are a few historical habits we might need to modernise in the forum to be honest.

The mod schedule is booked until the end of next year, but Necro is right we need to make sure we still have a player base by then.

I think we should maybe look at giving priority to people who haven't modded so far in the calendar year rather than repeat mods (and I say this as perhaps the worst offender in recent years). I think we might also need to give priority to people who are actively (and definition of "actively" would need to be fleshed out) playing as well.

I think we need a recruitment push and part of that is playing less complicated games and formalizing that into the schedule (somewhat as Rikand said). I believe the less complicated games are good ways to get new players on board, as well as keep regulars on board. I myself had to step away from playing because I just can't commit time and energy to some of the more complicated games, and the way we currently schedule them, there is no definite way to ensure a game will be vanilla or complicated with a view to vomitting to play. A good few former regulars have cited not being able to commit to a complicated game as the reason they haven't been playing.

We have access to promotion in AH that we never had before and it's been great for tournament games, but not for WW, and I worry that's because the gamea are so complicated that grasping what's going on and picking it up seems inaccessible.

And then conversely you have people waiting for so long to mod a game that they want that game to be innovative and action packed /role packed. So those two forces would seem to be at odds with one another.

I agree the chat and post game analysis is gone from the forum, and that's a shame. I'll make a personal effort on that front but not sure at the moment what else can be done.

I don't want to make changes for changes sake but I do think the forum mods perhaps need to take feedback from you in this thread and maybe look at some structures to make sure the game gets back to growing in future.

I would encourage everyone to get your feedback down here so that we can identify issues and look at solutions where possible.

One suggestion I might make for the future - not this year necessarily as the awards threads are running - is to combine the Wolfies and FG Awards into one combined effort.

I think having the 'Wolfies' as a seperate entity can give off the idea that Werewolf is cliqueish and anyone not playing is not welcome.

I have some other thoughts but that's one I wanted to put out there.

Neowise wrote: »

Absolutely. I really wasn't trying to assign blame or anything like that with my post, more to have a bit of discussion which has happened and which I'm delighted with:)

Didn't realise you were also involved in modding until today so thanks to you too for a great game. As I said, my chances for playing are limited and it's brilliant to play such an engaging game.

Regarding the comment on time commitments it is one that hits me...I can really only play around school holidays.

I did play a game with closed nights that was much easier to manage...some modification of that schedule for an evening only, vanilla game might be a good introduction to Werewolf. I'd be happy to mod one (though I'd need help with game balance). It might help out some more experienced players who struggle for time too.

Personally I love the complex themed games but I've also enjoyed the really basic short games.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I played Supernatural and Die Hard, both well done and organised for me, great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Maybe a part of sign ups we can have a boiler plate info section.

Game type: open \ closed
    Player count needed to run:
    Conversion mechanic: yes \ no
    Some more questions ..... So players can gauge the type of game they are signing up for.

Regarding the comment on time commitments it is one that hits me...I can really only play around school holidays.

I did play a game with closed nights that was much easier to manage...some modification of that schedule for an evening only, vanilla game might be a good introduction to Werewolf. I'd be happy to mod one (though I'd need help with game balance). It might help out some more experienced players who struggle for time too.

Personally I love the complex themed games but I've also enjoyed the really basic short games.

Thing with Werewolf is we don't utilise the weekends as much as we maybe should in some cases.

Especially with lockdowns etc there's scope for a two day or even just one nighter game from Friday eve to Sunday.

It might suit some people better to play a short game at the weekend as opposed to during the week when the main games are ran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

My plans for this upcoming Jan game was to give 3 or 4 options

1 fairly vanilla game with some mechanics.
    1 Role Madness game
    1 game with not too complex not too vanilla.

Id like to have the night time closed and I can accommodate any suggestions mods or the community feel would aid numbers . Im flexible to provide what the people want esp to attract new players

Advertisement