Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-03-2020, 10:43   #76
SlowBlowin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,185
I provided a link earlier for Heavens Above.

This is the best service by far, you can get a free app for your phone as well which will show you where in the night sky to look in realtime, just hold your phone up in the air.

It also shows all satellites and space debris.

https://www.heavens-above.com/Starli...n&alt=0&tz=GMT

This page shows all passes for Dublin in the next 24 hours, if you click on the time you will see the sky map, if you download the app it will show you in the sky in realtime.

You can change you location tom anywhere.
SlowBlowin is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 10:52   #77
Hogzy
Registered User
 
Hogzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBlowin View Post
I provided a link earlier for Heavens Above.

This is the best service by far, you can get a free app for your phone as well which will show you where in the night sky to look in realtime, just hold your phone up in the air.

It also shows all satellites and space debris.

https://www.heavens-above.com/Starli...n&alt=0&tz=GMT

This page shows all passes for Dublin in the next 24 hours, if you click on the time you will see the sky map, if you download the app it will show you in the sky in realtime.

You can change you location tom anywhere.
Any idea what that app is called? Cant seem to find anything called heavens above on the app store.

EDIT: App appears to be android only. Sugar!!!!
Hogzy is offline  
30-03-2020, 10:54   #78
SlowBlowin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzy View Post
Any idea what that app is called? Cant seem to find anything called heavens above on the app store.

EDIT: App appears to be android only. Sugar!!!!
Yes Android only I am afraid..
SlowBlowin is offline  
30-03-2020, 10:58   #79
Manuel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 399
How can you tell when it's going to be a *train* of satellites?

I check both heavens-above and the findstarlink websites.
findstarlink had the info below for my location last night (curiously, heavens-above didn't have it):

10:16 pm, 29 Mar 2020
Starlink-4 OLD, BRIGHT (3.3) for 6 mins
Look from WEST to SOUTHWEST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 51°, end: 51°

It was a beautiful clear night and I watched it - a single satellite glowing brightly as it crossed the sky.

.. But how do I identify when it will be a train of satellites, and not just one?

Thanks.
Manuel is offline  
30-03-2020, 10:58   #80
Hogzy
Registered User
 
Hogzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBlowin View Post
Yes Android only I am afraid..
I forked out a mind blowing €2 on the app store for SkyView Premium so hopefully the increased functionality includes the train!

Cheers for the help!
Hogzy is offline  
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 22:24   #81
SlowBlowin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
How can you tell when it's going to be a *train* of satellites?

I check both heavens-above and the findstarlink websites.
findstarlink had the info below for my location last night (curiously, heavens-above didn't have it):

10:16 pm, 29 Mar 2020
Starlink-4 OLD, BRIGHT (3.3) for 6 mins
Look from WEST to SOUTHWEST (details)
Elevation (from horizon): start: 11°, max: 51°, end: 51°

It was a beautiful clear night and I watched it - a single satellite glowing brightly as it crossed the sky.

.. But how do I identify when it will be a train of satellites, and not just one?

Thanks.
First few weeks following launch, see earlier post.
SlowBlowin is offline  
01-04-2020, 02:11   #82
ps200306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
How can you tell when it's going to be a *train* of satellites?
I found the app useless for this. On the website, just check the times of successive passes. If there are lots of passes in a short time, i.e. 30-50 in ten minutes, it's a train.
ps200306 is offline  
01-04-2020, 12:08   #83
fryup
Registered User
 
fryup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBlowin View Post

It also shows all satellites and space debris.

https://www.heavens-above.com/Starli...n&alt=0&tz=GMT
are those 24hr clock times?
fryup is offline  
01-04-2020, 19:55   #84
upupup
Registered User
 
upupup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 311
I'm not an expert and new to this so here's what i think
Starlink 5,6 is the latest launch from a few weeks ago so it will be the brightest,its passing tomorrow morning at 6.10am

Starlink 4 passing tonight at 9.52 but its older so dimmer or invisible

here's an easy to follow site with times and live tracking map for the 4 different trainshttps://findstarlink.com/#744;3

A new (bright)train expected to be launched next monthhttps://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
upupup is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-04-2020, 20:51   #85
Big Nasty
Registered User
 
Big Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 21,944
Good chance of sight tonight around 10pm?
Big Nasty is offline  
Thanks from:
20-04-2020, 21:06   #86
martinr5232
Registered User
 
martinr5232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nasty
Good chance of sight tonight around 10pm?

Any idea what direction ??
martinr5232 is offline  
20-04-2020, 21:23   #87
fryup
Registered User
 
fryup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,590
southwest to east at 10 deg over the horizon
fryup is offline  
20-04-2020, 21:25   #88
ps200306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr5232 View Post
Any idea what direction ??
Look south-south-east from 22.05 to 22.20, about two thirds of the way up the sky (60 degrees elevation). There will be about 45 satellites chasing each other. Go out ten minutes early to adjust your eyes, don't look at bright lights, and don't look at the sunlight in the west.
ps200306 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
20-04-2020, 21:26   #89
Water John
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 14,766
The Scottish Sun paper is very concerned about how it's going to affect, astrologers???

'The Starlink programme is controversial amongst astrologers, who have slammed the tech billionaire.

They say the satellites get in the way of observations and stop them from viewing the night sky due to the light'
Water John is offline  
Thanks from:
20-04-2020, 21:26   #90
ps200306
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
southwest to east at 10 deg over the horizon
I'm hoping it's a lot higher that that, unless I've read it wrong. You generally can't see them that low -- I found they have to be above 45 degrees. Are you sure you didn't look at the start times instead of the highest altitude times?
ps200306 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet