Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Thread of the decade..... The Showdown

• 28-03-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

With the lockdown in force figured might be more traffic here so try and keep the content going and people's sanity in check.

Thought this could be a bit of a look back on some of the highlights of the board so rather than just simply do a wrap up and vote of best thread decided to put this head to head with threads advancing to an ultimate final. These are the threads which won Best thread each year of the awards from 2010 onwards.

There were a few omissions (early years the 1000m thread tended to dominate with no real discussion and the general group discussion threads which are still floating about - Novice/Sub3 simply because these are threads everyone knows about, this is more about unearthing some older gems for those who aren't around as long here)

1) Vote A or B
    2012 - Renato Canova Training Ideas
    vs
    2014 Training Log from the DCM Champ

2)Vote A, B or C
    2013 - Original Beer Mile
    vs
    2016 Why do you post on A/R
    vs
    2015 Bohermeen Sweepstakes

3 - Vote A or B
    2017 Gary O Hanlon National Champion
    vs
    2011 - Kenya Rift Valley Training and Q and A

2018 - *** Mods dropped the ball (or posters as no nomination) ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

jaysus, I can't believe how long ago some of those threads were. Some real gems in there, my overall vote goes to Canova, the posts on letsrun and that that thread were really my introduction and kickstarter to take an interest in training theory(that and the old Lydiard thread from around that time), It was the first thread I ever read on boards too so vote for A in group one.

2. C.. Bohermeen sweepstakes, brilliant thread and idea, good laugh and raised a nice few quid for charity, added some badly needed community spirit at the time too.

3. B.. Rift valley, training threads win for me all day plus I remember the GOH thread been a bit of a **** show. The rift valley thread was a really insightful look into the life and training in Iten.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can I nominate something not mentioned above?

I think this was a great thread and read through it several times while I was marathon training:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72532515

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do we just vote by posting?

1 - B
    2 - A
    3 - B

THe only one I feel really strongly about is the beer mile one, what a thread that turned out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It says a lot how much of a newbie I am that I've never read any of those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Thank for posting KSU. I think I'll make it my goal over the next few weeks to digesting the training insights available here including the ones you've posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

This is just over 10 years old but tergat's posts in this thread were probably the main source of info for me when I did my first marathon, more so the general advice on how to train than the specifics on what to do, in terms of workouts/pace.

PMP Workouts and Pace
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825141

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Thread hasn't really gotten off the ground so will just adjust to simpy a best of boards thread and a reminder to some gems over the years for some reading for people.

Another legendary thread pulled straight out of the twilight zone

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056067540

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah I think the thread is a super idea and fair play for driving content. Personally I haven't dedicated enough (any) time to those threads to warrant a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I like the fact that KSU is WFH and is obviously not busy as his line of work is 'under-whelmed' at the min.

It gives him more time on Boards for this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I like the fact that KSU is WFH and is obviously not busy as his line of work is 'under-whelmed' at the min.

It gives him more time on Boards for this sort of stuff.

Haha if only that were the case. Actually busier than usual just the hours all over the place and reliant on others so alot of ebbs and flows

(thats my excuse and I am sticking to it haha)

• Advertisement
Advertisement