Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2020, 12:32   #2086
Black Sheep

Pretty sweeping announcements from the government this morning. They're going to capture tournaments (most of them cancelled anyway), large seminars and large affiliation gratings.

No explicit mention of gyms pausing membership and suspending training, but I would suggest it is the responsible thing to do now. If social distancing as a strategy to flatten the curve is worth doing, I see no compelling reason to wait.

Hopefully it is the case that the flexibility promised around lenders and utilities will be there for small businesses over the next few months.
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 13:08   #2087
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
With regard to who has it in the community, I would be cautious of saying it is only older people or those who have been to China. Almost all of our early cases were individuals and families who travelled to Northern Italy. To be frank, it was groups of people skiing and that is reflected in the coverage and cases concerned for the most part.
Just to clarify, I’m not in Ireland. I was talking about the profile here. It’s mostly people who were in China, or in age care homes.
If I was in Europe, with lads coming back from Cheltenham or Skiing trips, different story.
12-03-2020, 14:02   #2088
Black Sheep

JSBJJ and ECJJ closed, correct move.
Thanks from:
12-03-2020, 15:15   #2089
Tazzimus

SBG HQ just announced closing for the month as well a few mins ago.
12-03-2020, 16:02   #2090
DrPhilG

Ryano suspended classes this morning.
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 21:18   #2091
CrazySka

What’s the general feeling about stopping rolling?

I decided to stop for a little while this week but feeling a bit unsure about whether it matters or not. My thinking is that there are a lot of younger people there who could have it with little symptoms who I could catch it from and just the general nature of the training seems risky for transmission.

Continuing to strength train but it’s in a large facility with space between people and all equipment being cleaned after each session.

Am I being foolish thinking that not rolling is going to help or delay me getting it?
12-03-2020, 22:47   #2092
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySka View Post
What’s the general feeling about stopping rolling?

I decided to stop for a little while this week but feeling a bit unsure about whether it matters or not. My thinking is that there are a lot of younger people there who could have it with little symptoms who I could catch it from and just the general nature of the training seems risky for transmission.

Continuing to strength train but it’s in a large facility with space between people and all equipment being cleaned after each session.

Am I being foolish thinking that not rolling is going to help or delay me getting it?

If somebody is sick in general, a cold, flu etc. They shouldn't be rolling, microorganism are passed very easy in that kind of environment. In this case, I have to imagine transmission is very high.
Big groups, random people every session, rolling is probably a bad idea.
Small groups (6 or less), the same people every time. Much safer.

I'll probably continue to work with 2 main partners outside of group classes
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 08:33   #2093
Black Sheep

This is the one time it's OK to be that guy who just watches a load of BJJ tutorials on YouTube and doesn't go to the gym. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Focus on strength training, mobility work, whatever it is.. BJJ will still be there when this is all over but it is not responsible to continue rolling at the moment in my opinion. 63% jump in case numbers yesterday, folks, this is the exponential element that is going to bite us on the ass unless we take social distancing seriously sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Black Sheep; 13-03-2020 at 09:47.
(4) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 23:10   #2094
Mellor

Bernardo giving away instructionals for free for all the people with gyms closed.

Code is FARIAFREE, it will take $77 off one of his instructionals (pretty much all cost $77)

https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/...bernardo-faria
Advertisement
14-03-2020, 16:37   #2095
eeloe

It sucks not being able to train, but i guess we can take the little break as a way to let some injuries and niggles heal.

I just hope everyone(or anyone that can afford to) continues to pay their fees, or else there will be no gyms to go back to when this all blows over.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2020, 14:33   #2096
RoboRat

I closed up our BJJ classes on the 9th. I didn't want to and the gym owners were happy to keep it running, but I made the decision that there is too much risk.

I am not one for paranoia or donning a tin foil cap, but there was too much about this from the beginning that didn't make sense and had me worried. Quite frankly, I didn't believe what was being reported from China... namely a country not known for its human rights would lock down nearly 200 million people for under 3,000 deaths at the time. Considering China were, prior to the outbreak, heading into their first recession in 20 odd years, this completely went in the face of rationality. I had a feeling that it was far worse.

I am happy that I made that decision becuase this virus is deadly and passed very easily.The mortality rate is now at 8%, it was just under 6% when I closed up, and this number has been rising every day, and will continue to rise as the hospitals get overburdened (source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/). Incidentally, this figure includes China, and I don't for a second believe the figures they are quoting.

What people fail to realise however is that it will also significantly increase the deaths from everyday illnesses and accidents due to the hospitals being overstretched - this will not be reflected in the figures of deaths from the virus. Accidents and illnesses that would normally be curable, will now be fatal... staph infections, car crashes, heart attacks, stroke, cancer... things we don't currently fear, or feel that can be cured, will be fatal.

For context, the 2009 H1N1 pandemic had a mortality rate of 0.02%, the Spanish flu of 1918 had a mortality rate of 11%. Trajectories estimate this will have a mortality rate of around 10% as it was 3% two weeks ago and 6% last week. There are over 7% of current patients in serious or critical condition.

If we work with an infection rate of the 2009 H1N1 which was around 21% and an 8% mortality rate, that's around 126 million deaths globally.

I want to train and I want to train my students, but I felt there was too much risk of infection from students who may be infected, but don't know it yet. They could spread it to the other students who then spread it to their friends, relatives etc - the cycle needs to be broken and this means action. If it's not a necessity, then don't do it.

People seem to think this is scaremongering, propaganda or overkill but governments are not closing down cities and entire countries for nothing. They understand that this will have a massive knock-on effect on economies and will probably push us into another global recession. This is the last thing they want to do but they have no choice. The alternative is far worse.

To summarise, I read this recently and it puts it in a very clear perspective: If there were 100 skittles on a table and 8 of them were potentially deadly, would you eat the skittles? Like f*** you would.
(3) thanks from:
30-03-2020, 17:58   #2097
The White Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Bernardo giving away instructionals for free for all the people with gyms closed.

Code is FARIAFREE, it will take $77 off one of his instructionals (pretty much all cost $77)

https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/...bernardo-faria
If you go to the same BJJ Fanatics website John Danahers Solo drills is actually free right now!

Also if you enter the code “DEBLASSFREE” you can get any of Tom Deblass instructionals free. Like Bernado, they are usually $77

The Deblass one is only until midnight tonight. I presume thats midnight in USA time.But I just got it before I wrote this so its OK right now. I suggest go get it sooner rather than later!!
31-03-2020, 12:27   #2098
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Feather View Post
If you go to the same BJJ Fanatics website John Danahers Solo drills is actually free right now!

Also if you enter the code “DEBLASSFREE” you can get any of Tom Deblass instructionals free. Like Bernado, they are usually $77

The Deblass one is only until midnight tonight. I presume thats midnight in USA time.But I just got it before I wrote this so its OK right now. I suggest go get it sooner rather than later!!
The Danaher one was filmed specifically for people stuck at home right now. I downloaded it, but haven’t actually watched any of it.
Figured actually technique was better than drills, for now at least.
14-04-2020, 11:18   #2099
Black Sheep

Hello guys,

I hope you're all managing your non training as best you can.

There's a danger of a post like this turning into armchair epidemiology, but it seems like that's inevitable to a degree.

I wanted to discuss how this pandemic is going to affect BJJ training for the rest of the year.

At the outset I think I was cautiously optimistic that BJJ gyms would return to 'normal', albeit perhaps as one of the last businesses to do so.

I could imagine a scenario where from late June onwards we have a gradual re-opening of some businesses, coupled with ongoing advice to observe social distancing. I'm basing that late June figure on what major business owners and banks are mostly planning for, as reported in the FT, Times etc. And I think we will all be living our lives with social distancing in mind for at least the rest of the year, and perhaps longer, according to more general analysis.

Bearing in that in mind, I can see how we could have cafes, restaurants and so on eventually back operating... And shops and so on... Not sure about pubs... Maybe even commercial gyms, with people wiping down equipment and observing social distance.

But I think the penny dropped for me yesterday that it's hard to see how a BJJ gym could ever observe social distancing.

What do people think?

If case numbers were driven consistently so low as to be almost nil for several weeks, I could kind of see gyms trying reopening in late summer (September was mentioned in a podcast as a guess by one gym owner, for example), but it would seem to me that that would be totally contrary to the social distancing approach that is the reason why case numbers are being reduced....

It would be a bit like the rest of society did the heavy lifting, with ongoing social distancing to reduce risk, and then we were all just like "OK, now it's relatively statistically safe for us to engage in our risky behaviour flying in the face of all that".

BJJ and contact sports in general just seem like they are going to be the worst affected until a vaccine makes the point moot, which is not guaranteed to come anyway, and won't be anytime soon.

...Thoughts?

Last edited by Black Sheep; 14-04-2020 at 11:23.
14-04-2020, 13:00   #2100
Doff

BJJ gyms will have to be one of the last places to open back up fully unfortunately. Unless they were to open, enforce social distancing, and just do solo drills with a head instructor but I'm not sure how plausible that would be.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion