Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2020, 10:48   #1
tart29016

upgrade ESB supply

hi there,

I had my Electric Vehicle home charger installation visit on Saturday but unfortunately I was told they could not install the EV charger. Reason is "10 mm2 supply to fuseboard requires upgrading to 16mm2". Apparently it will be against the regulation if do install it and could cost them their licence.

Anyway, I was told that I need to ring ESB to get them upgrade it and "reseal it". After this is done, I can then reschedule my appointment. I was also told this could cost approx €400.

Sorry I have no idea with any of this so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. The house is approx 45 years old.

Cheers
Advertisement
09-03-2020, 11:53   #2
autumnalcore

ESB won't connect new tails without a cert, if your tails are 10mm2 you will probably need earthing and bonding upgraded in the process.
09-03-2020, 20:14   #3
sparcocars

You will need to hire a registered electrical contractor to install new tails for you and certify them (as the above poster said this may require additional work to complete). The cost of this will obviously vary from contractor to contractor amd depending on work required. Shopping around is reccommended.

Then you have to contact esb to have the tails wired into meter at a cost of €168.

A side note on this would be that your MIC may need upgrading. Seeing as the house is 45 years old it may be a MIC of 8kVa as opposed to the now standard 12 kVa or enhanced 16kVa supply. I think esb will upgrade to 12 kVa free of charge but they can best advise on that. The 16kVa supply would definately incurr charges.
30-03-2020, 12:56   #4
shanec1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcocars View Post
You will need to hire a registered electrical contractor to install new tails for you and certify them (as the above poster said this may require additional work to complete). The cost of this will obviously vary from contractor to contractor amd depending on work required. Shopping around is reccommended.

Then you have to contact esb to have the tails wired into meter at a cost of €168.

A side note on this would be that your MIC may need upgrading. Seeing as the house is 45 years old it may be a MIC of8kVa as opposed to the now standard 12 kVa or enhanced 16kVa supply. I think esb will upgrade to 12 kVa free of charge but they can best advise on that. The 16kVa supply would definately incurr charges.
sorry to jump in on this, but can i ask whats involved in this?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion